SL3 Rumors

trickness

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, frame-it said:

phase detection AF

higher rez EVF

Internal memory

Hopefully a new, faster, more powerful processor to handle the files without slowing down

MP's:

option 1 : 60 MP M11 Sensor with a 47mp option

option 2 : 60 MP M11 Sensor for the SL3 and 47mp for the SL3S?

if the Sl3S is designed more for video and stills, maybe that model would have a tilt screen?

and i really would love to see the 4 button layout of the SL601, but that will never happen.

Why internal memory?

just curious..

3 minutes ago, frame-it said:

both, bigger buffer to temporarily store, process and transfer the files and internal storage

thus instead of having one task/form of transferring pics out of camera, you would have 2 different tasks/forms

if I am a designer, I don't want to complicate my design..I want it as simple and convenient as possible for the user

maybe I missed, and someone already has mentioned the following...

all FN buttons should have the same full menu to choose from...not like we have right now...can not understand the logic behind withholding this or that function for a given FN button..

mental german lag from producing VWs/Merc's in 80's???...you select rh side mirror as option, you can not have front seats head rests...and when you opt for head rests you can not have the rear wiper and on and on....

37 minutes ago, Genoweffa said:

instead of having one task/form of transferring pics out of camera, you would have 2 different tasks/forms

if I am a designer, I don't want to complicate my design..I want it as simple and convenient as possible for the user

you can choose not to use the internal memory, other people may really need that internal memory, one example: while traveling and running out of sd cards

so u actually think the raw data moves from the Sensor directly to the SD card? in any digital camera? 🤣🤣 it has to go into a memory buffer of some sort first.

5 hours ago, Telecaster said:

Thinking more out of the box + back to my app comment: Could Leica offer "Features as a service" via the app: More Megapixel - sure. Costs $1 / day. Low light performance: Yes $2 / day. Not sure I like it and the more traditional Leica customers might be the wrong target audience, but if it helps innovation... and if I could have an SL3 and SL3-S in one body - why not!?

This is a dystopian nightmare to me. So you buy a camera and Leica still owns its features and you have to rent them? We are already forced into this in software (let alone people who cannot afford a home and are forced to rent), now we have to deal with it in our cameras as well? I have had my Mamiya 7II for twenty one years at this point...imagine if I had to pay a freaking subscription to keep it working...Mamiya doesn't even exist anymore. Already people are being forced into rental contracts where they are seriously disadvantaged. I have to pay a lot of money every year for software for my business, such as the Adobe suite, and the day after I stop paying I lose all access. All those years of payments running into thousands of dollars just vanish .The reason the rental model is flourishing everywhere is that it benefits the companies vastly more than the customers. As a customer you are locked in forever and provide a nice easy revenue stream for the company, while being essentially held hostage by the payments...the moment you stop, you are locked out entirely. This is why in many cases the companies have ceased offering perpetual licenses at all, or have made them exhorbitantly expensive, or into dead ends that are no longer updated. If Leica went down this route I think it would be terrible. Not just for the customers, but also for the perception of the brand. There is nothing "Wesentliche" about providing a camera that you have to pay to unlock features. I know that some companies have done this, but I think it is an embarrassment and extremely cynical on the part of the companies. They have already built the feature into the camera and deliver it to you that way (that is, it does not really cost them anything additional to ship the camera with it), but you have to pay for the privilege to unlock what you have already paid for.  Ugh.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Maybe this is blasphemy, but I would like to see a dial on the top, right of the camera and/ or a front dial. With the current setup of  only 2 dials, direct access to only 2, of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation is possible without pressing buttons. To me, these important functions should have more direct access.

• Like 2

I have no desire to pay for subscriptions to use a product after an asset purchase…  use a camera, use heated seats, etc.  I absolutely hate in-app purchases.  

Being old school, I have a hard enough time paying to use software on a monthly basis that I used to buy with a one time cost…  it’s mostly a cash grab.  I get it if updates are continually being added and the costs added up are similar to the old established costs for the software.  But paying to unlock features after the fact is the surest way to lose me as a customer forever.

so let’s please not give them any bad ideas… 

Robb

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Telecaster said:

hehe yes that's sounds strange, but is already a reality in other areas: Buy a Tesla long range for $60k and pay another $300 to get heated seats. Or buy an Apple Watch Ultra for 1000 EUR (in Germany) and pay x EUR / day for the Scuba Dive Computer App.

Or buy a camera and for every 36 shots pay at least another 15 bucks (a strange concept called "analog film" 😉 !)

I am not saying that I like this but if you do the math some of it is a good idea also for the user. And if it helps Leica to survive and keep innovating - why not... I would pay for having high res + low noise in one body for sure!

This is why I don’t own a Tesla or BMW (among other reasons), shoot film, or have any apps installed on my phone that require a subscription.

If Leica were to do this, I’d stop buying cameras from Leica purely out of principle. Software as a Service at least has an opportunity for the product to improve overtime. Opposite is true with hardware as a service. Hardware only degrades over time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

<snip>

I have to pay a lot of money every year for software for my business, such as the Adobe suite, and the day after I stop paying I lose all access. All those years of payments running into thousands of dollars just vanish .

<snip>

You do not lose access to your work after you stop Adobe subscription. You will only lose access to Develop & Map modules, as well at to Lightroom mobile

2 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

This is a dystopian nightmare to me. So you buy a camera and Leica still owns its features and you have to rent them? We are already forced into this in software (let alone people who cannot afford a home and are forced to rent), now we have to deal with it in our cameras as well? I have had my Mamiya 7II for twenty one years at this point...imagine if I had to pay a freaking subscription to keep it working...Mamiya doesn't even exist anymore. Already people are being forced into rental contracts where they are seriously disadvantaged. I have to pay a lot of money every year for software for my business, such as the Adobe suite, and the day after I stop paying I lose all access. All those years of payments running into thousands of dollars just vanish .The reason the rental model is flourishing everywhere is that it benefits the companies vastly more than the customers. As a customer you are locked in forever and provide a nice easy revenue stream for the company, while being essentially held hostage by the payments...the moment you stop, you are locked out entirely. This is why in many cases the companies have ceased offering perpetual licenses at all, or have made them exhorbitantly expensive, or into dead ends that are no longer updated. If Leica went down this route I think it would be terrible. Not just for the customers, but also for the perception of the brand. There is nothing "Wesentliche" about providing a camera that you have to pay to unlock features. I know that some companies have done this, but I think it is an embarrassment and extremely cynical on the part of the companies. They have already built the feature into the camera and deliver it to you that way (that is, it does not really cost them anything additional to ship the camera with it), but you have to pay for the privilege to unlock what you have already paid for.  Ugh.

To play devils advocate here... Mamiya never charged subscriptions and made products that people could use for years without paying them any more money; and they no longer exist. Adobe makes sure that we pay a relatively small amount every year and they are a thriving company. Yes, the rental/subscription model benefits the companies, but in ways that are not all greedy. In fact, predictability is the #1 reason they do it. 

However, back to the idea of adding a subscription to a future Leica camera? Subscriptions benefit software more than hardware, so any company trying to implement this model on hardware when all their competitors are not doing it, will face a lot of consumer backlash. I would be quite surprised to see that happen from any camera manufacturer. But, I guess time will reveal all.

Brad

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Telecaster:

Thinking more out of the box + back to my app comment: Could Leica offer "Features as a service" via the app: More Megapixel - sure. Costs $1 / day. Low light performance: Yes $2 / day. Not sure I like it and the more traditional Leica customers might be the wrong target audience, but if it helps innovation... and if I could have an SL3 and SL3-S in one body - why not!?

The cpsnaas feature (clean-pushed-shadows-noise-as-a-service) would need to be unlocked on the SL3 before the picture is snapped. I’m guessing 5 €/$ per day. High Res EVF 3€/$ per day otherwise it will default to the Visoflex 020 resolution.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, robb said:

I have no desire to pay for subscriptions to use a product after an asset purchase…  use a camera, use heated seats, etc.  I absolutely hate in-app purchases.  

Being old school, I have a hard enough time paying to use software on a monthly basis that I used to buy with a one time cost…  it’s mostly a cash grab.  I get it if updates are continually being added and the costs added up are similar to the old established costs for the software.  But paying to unlock features after the fact is the surest way to lose me as a customer forever.

so let’s please not give them any bad ideas… 

Robb

One hundred percent. The minute this happens, I’ll be gone as a Leica customer. 

• Like 4

I'm expecting Leica Rumors to report the hardware subscription model shortly, perhaps to be implemented in the SL3 - based solely on the posts here.

Someone here will report back what Leica Rumors post, as a firm proposal. Several new threads will be started, and a few members will be banned.

That's how internet brush fires start.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

The cpsnaas feature (clean-pushed-shadows-noise-as-a-service) would need to be unlocked on the SL3 before the picture is snapped. I’m guessing 5 €/$ per day. High Res EVF 3€/$ per day otherwise it will default to the Visoflex 020 resolution.

and rental-per-megabyte for the internal storage? 🤣

vor 29 Minuten schrieb frame-it:

and rental-per-megabyte for the internal storage? 🤣

Internal storage will be pay-as-you-go to begin with. Apple Pay notifications will pop up while snapping without an SD card inserted. The good thing is, this will slow us down and make us anticipate the decisive moment instead of putting the camera in burst mode. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Internal storage will be pay-as-you-go to begin with. Apple Pay notifications will pop up while snapping without an SD card inserted. The good thing is, this will slow us down and make us anticipate the decisive moment instead of putting the camera in burst mode. 

or we use this hopefully free leica gift while waiting ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2