SL3 Rumors

trickness

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So Leica Rumors just posted that the SL3 will be coming sometime this year…. thought it might be fun to take some guesses about what features the camera will include and see how close we can get to the finished item.

I’m guessing 60 Mega pixel BSI sensor with phase detection AF, same body shape, except possibly the addition of a tilt screen (actually really hoping they don’t include this last feature). Possibly internal memory a la the M11?

• Like 4

phase detection AF

higher rez EVF

Internal memory

Hopefully a new, faster, more powerful processor to handle the files without slowing down

MP's:

option 1 : 60 MP M11 Sensor with a 47mp option

option 2 : 60 MP M11 Sensor for the SL3 and 47mp for the SL3S?

if the Sl3S is designed more for video and stills, maybe that model would have a tilt screen?

and i really would love to see the 4 button layout of the SL601, but that will never happen.

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 4

I use my SL2 primarily for landscape.  Having a flippy full articulated swivel screen (or FFASS as I call it) would be great.  My back isn't what it used to be and it's hard to get those photos from the ground up with the timer or the upside down tripod.  Basically every pro FF has them and it does make it easier to shoot.  Also better battery life.  The SL2 is not good with power management.  At more than $200 each, the batteries should last longer.  The M11 was an amazing evolution in battery life.  The SL3 should have that same battery engineering.

Also, no SL3 and SL3s needed. Please.  One body just like the M11 which has high megapixel AND does great in low light.  Ideally not needing both would be great.  I truly love the SL2 and the ability to mount any L lens and all of my M lenses.   Just add better battery life, a flippy screen and better low light capabilities.  :)

• Like 8

I think the items everyone has covered are most likely.  
but since the Leica apo lenses can handle higher resolution, maybe Leica can up the game with an 80 or 100 mp sensor to recapture the highest bar from all 35mm camera makers.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they could pull it off other than who makes the sensor.  
I agree that the 60mp is most likely and I think mirroring the m11 mp adjustability and internal drive will def help in many areas.  
I think a flip screen is also inevitable although I don’t need one.  
I hope they keep the same battery form factor with sl2 batteries and that they match those in the Q3

my only feature requests are all focusing modes need to be available with the back button…

Robb 

• Like 5

I know many people like the current size because of the ergonomics, but I think SL3 should be a bit smaller.

Some screen innovation I would expect: I prefer a tilts screen over flip screen, but I don't think they would do both - e.g. a flip screen for video / S version and a tilt for the standard version.

Great autofocus is a must!

And while it's not an SL3 only topic: They must make the app work seamless... why is it still so difficult in 2023 for the camera manufacturers to create a simple, reliable apps???

• Like 6

Having a SL1, I just bought a second hand 2-s. Before the 3 is out, and child diseases are gone (see m11), we are mid 2024 or later, so I still have 18 months to enjoy the 2-s.

I like the button layout on the back: similar to q2 and m10m. No need for change. Battery, please don’t change, same as q2.

The only thing I wish for is that it will be a mix of both: high mp plus high iso.

Dealbreaker will be LENR though.

• Like 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Jon Warwick:

Could (or should?) an SL3 have a higher megapixel sensor than either the 60mp on the M11 (or whatever a Q3 could have) ….especially as the SL primes are absolutely tier 1 and not compromised in their design.

Personally I am fine with high megapixel count - its just additional digital zoom if you need it. Sure its not for free (file size, processing time, etc...) but its worth it to me.

Just wonder: Could Leica do something with pixel binning to combine high megapixel count with low light performance? Some people thought the M11 could do that, but as we all know it cant't.

Thinking more out of the box + back to my app comment: Could Leica offer "Features as a service" via the app: More Megapixel - sure. Costs $1 / day. Low light performance: Yes $2 / day. Not sure I like it and the more traditional Leica customers might be the wrong target audience, but if it helps innovation... and if I could have an SL3 and SL3-S in one body - why not!?

9 minutes ago, Telecaster said:

Thinking more out of the box + back to my app comment: Could Leica offer "Features as a service" via the app: More Megapixel - sure. Costs $1 / day. Low light performance: Yes $2 / day. Not sure I like it and the more traditional Leica customers might be the wrong target audience, but if it helps innovation... and if I could have an SL3 and SL3-S in one body - why not!?

Sure, why not? Pay 6k for the privilege of owning a physical camera plus another 700€ per year to turn it on and use it. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, tedwill said:

...Also, no SL3 and SL3s needed. Please.  One body just like the M11 which has high megapixel AND does great in low light.  Ideally not needing both would be great.  I truly love the SL2 and the ability to mount any L lens and all of my M lenses.   Just add better battery life, a flippy screen and better low light capabilities.  :)

How did the SL2-S in any way impair the SL2, which was released before it? Let us high-ISO whores have our high-ISO cameras.

And they could make an SL3-S not just high-ISO, but a super-fast sports/action stacked sensor, perhaps using the base sensor from the A9 II.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 4

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Simone_DF:

Sure, why not? Pay 6k for the privilege of owning a physical camera plus another 700€ per year to turn it on and use it. Brilliant.

hehe yes that's sounds strange, but is already a reality in other areas: Buy a Tesla long range for $60k and pay another $300 to get heated seats. Or buy an Apple Watch Ultra for 1000 EUR (in Germany) and pay x EUR / day for the Scuba Dive Computer App.

Or buy a camera and for every 36 shots pay at least another 15 bucks (a strange concept called "analog film" 😉 !)

I am not saying that I like this but if you do the math some of it is a good idea also for the user. And if it helps Leica to survive and keep innovating - why not... I would pay for having high res + low noise in one body for sure!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Telecaster said:

hehe yes that's sounds strange, but is already a reality in other areas: Buy a Tesla long range for $60k and pay another $300 to get heated seats. Or buy an Apple Watch Ultra for 1000 EUR (in Germany) and pay x EUR / day for the Scuba Dive Computer App.

Or buy a camera and for every 36 shots pay at least another 15 bucks (a strange concept called "analog film" 😉

I am not saying that I like this but if you do the math some of it is a good idea also for the user. And if it helps Leica to survive and keep innovating - why not... I would pay for having high res + low noise in one body for sure!

Thanks, but I’ll get a Canon instead. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Could (or should?) an SL3 have a higher megapixel sensor than either the 60mp on the M11 (or whatever a Q3 could have) ….especially as the SL primes are absolutely tier 1 and not compromised in their design.

I understand Karbe said the SL primes are good for over 100MP. But how does diffraction enter that picture? I think—I'm not sure about this—that Karbe said diffraction starts kicking in at F8 on the SL2. Wouldn't diffraction come in earlier with a higher MP sensor? That is one thing I still haven't wrapped my head around. 

Edited by John Smith