Leica CL discontinued?

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

ah so you're not thai...that might explain the Gaysorn experience

I’m not German, Italian, Chinese, Hungarian, Austrian, Indonesian, British, Polish, or Korean…nor speak in a Brooklyn dialect but those guys seemed to want to sell Leica cameras.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, geoffreyg said:

Many of the products I like and use are discontinued. Its not the end of the world, not at all. Think about all those historic cars, etc... not to mention cameras! 

I’m still waiting to get myself a new Honda s2000. Waiting for 22 years now…

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/14/2022 at 5:56 PM, geoffreyg said:

Many of the products I like and use are discontinued. Its not the end of the world, not at all. Think about all those historic cars, etc... not to mention cameras! 

Good point about the value of vintage items, but it's a bit different when technology governs the entire device, as is the case with the CL. A single obsolete component can cripple the whole thing. Look at DV cameras, which often using mini-Firewire. I have dozens of DV tapes and nowhere to play them and nothing to connect them to. Of course SD cards aren't going by the wayside like DV, but other electronic components within the CL might become a hurdle -- or a limitation -- in the future. Those old cameras are still relevant as long as you can still buy and develop film, and get the repaired when necessary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elambo said:

Good point about the value of vintage items, but it's a bit different when technology governs the entire device, as is the case with the CL. A single obsolete component can cripple the whole thing. Look at DV cameras, which often using mini-Firewire. I have dozens of DV tapes and nowhere to play them and nothing to connect them to. Of course SD cards aren't going by the wayside like DV, but other electronic components within the CL might become a hurdle -- or a limitation -- in the future. Those old cameras are still relevant as long as you can still buy and develop film, and get the repaired when necessary.

That is the problem.  CL / SL L Mount.  The same situation other camera brands are in. The biggest problem here is that Leica chooses not to make APSC anymore AND leica does not tell if there will be an alternative FF.This means that I as a customer do not know if I can trust them for there L Mount. 

There is nothing wrong with the mount as such and it appears to be gaining traction. The APS-C section is just a smaller part and certainly not a measure for any future L-mount success.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RSH-Photo said:

Leica still lists the CL on its website. The Adorama still lists new CLs for sale; it says they are "temporarily on back order." Is Leica still manufacturing the CL? 

Curious... Though on the Leica page the "Shop Now" link takes you to a 404 page error. And B&H still shows it as Discontinued. But you're right -- Adorama lists it as Backordered and allows you to make the purchase. I think it's just residue. A lack of housekeeping. The CLs don't seem to be coming back, sadly.

10 hours ago, RSH-Photo said:

Leica still lists the CL on its website. The Adorama still lists new CLs for sale; it says they are "temporarily on back order." Is Leica still manufacturing the CL? 

Stock clearance,  I suspect.

Lets try starting from an unproven assumption:

Leica will not let the L lenses they have made go into the dark of the night unsupported, or unused.

The reason is the significant effort they have put into them, and their sheer quality, and while they can discontinue a camera, abandoning a lens lineup is a more serious story. (That said, one could surmise from the lack of new lenses they have abandoned the line, but let that go for now.....).

If that is the case (its only an assumption), then: 

1) is the SL an adequate path for leica to say there is still a path for their use? 

2) or is the use of other platforms a sufficient answer for Leica? (see the L2 alliance...) 

My guess is that a combination of these two possibilities is good enough to them. Any thoughts?