Leica CL discontinued?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

Eh?  Totally different menu, for starters.  Directional pad, thumbwheel buttons, different battery, top LCD, optional grip, true magnification in the EVF . . . 

And no immediate post-release recall for the CL . . . 

"Just"????   The condescension gets tiresome . . . 

Just call it obfuscation and deflection. Why would you expect better from the echo chamber?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Quite clearly, they made a commercial decision to discontinue the APS-C system.  My view is this was all about the T/TL/TL2 camera - the market never took to it.  I suspect the problem was that Leica tried to bridge the camera / phone gap.

If they had understood the phone market they would never have launched the T. It smacks of poor product and marketing management. If you wanted to bring phone users into Leica, they would have made a fixed 18mm lens camera and would have focused on social media shareware. How quickly can I get my images onto IG or FB? Instead the transfer software is slow and buggy at best. If you were an Apple iPhone user why would you bother?

Maybe they couldn’t be bothered to understand it and just assumed, but who knows? Without inside knowledge we will never know.

53 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

Eh?  Totally different menu, for starters.  Directional pad, thumbwheel buttons, different battery, top LCD, optional grip, true magnification in the EVF . . . 

And no immediate post-release recall for the CL . . . 

"Just"????   The condescension gets tiresome . . . 

Condescension?  Buddy this is just a forum discussion, not a competition.  Bit of civility wouldn’t go amiss.

Just call it obfuscation and deflection. Why would you expect better from the echo chamber

Echo chamber?  Most of this thread, and the other, is little more than rinse and repeat.

I’m just another Leica user sharing my thoughts - that’s what we do, right.  Usually politely, though.

Edit - is there really anything more to say?  If Leica has bothered to read this thread, I reckon they understand your opinions.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

If you were an Apple iPhone user why would you bother?

Because your Apple gadget is not milled from a solid block of aluminum of course. The Real Leica Man uses a telephone not an "iphone" (or is this e-phone?) anyway. Condescending me? :D.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i wonder if they might just dump the CL innards into a Q body with L mount and sell it as a new improved CL2, then there's not much R&D, and they probably have those sensors already

hence the "QL" someone mentioned in the fotos app,

You see that too simple. Think of the paid designer, the development, the manuals, the testing, the paid reviewers, the advertising, the spare parts organisation, the instruction of the Leica shops, etc.

And then the production of 10.000(?) pieces with cases.

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jankap said:

You see that too simple. Think of the paid designer, the development, the manuals, the testing, the paid reviewers, the advertising, the spare parts organisation, the instruction of the Leica shops, etc.

And then the production of 10.000(?) pieces with cases.

sure, but they already have that assembly line, so no development, only testing, and they already/hopefully have spare parts for the q series and possibly plenty of Q shells

Edited by frame-it

1 hour ago, frame-it said:

sure, but they already have that assembly line, so no development, only testing, and they already/hopefully have spare parts for the q series and possibly plenty of Q shells

Unfortunately it’s way more complicated than that.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, frame-it said:

i wonder if they might just dump the CL innards into a Q body with L mount and sell it as a new improved CL2, then there's not much R&D, and they probably have those sensors already

hence the "QL" someone mentioned in the fotos app,

No they could not. The Q is designed with an integrated lens-sensor unit. Replacing that by a lens mount is a major redesign. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

No they could not. The Q is designed with an integrated lens-sensor unit. Replacing that by a lens mount is a major redesign. 

i meant only the shell of the body, it cant be so difficult to attach an L Mount frame into the Q body Shell, distance can be handled by positioning the sensor closer or further as required.

probably has plenty of space to fit a CL motherboard ;)

https://www.nofocus.blog/home/leica-q-diy-infrared-mod

https://www.macfilos.com/2019/10/14/leica-q-strip-down-now-put-it-all-together-again/

Edited by frame-it

The CL with  Tl lenses has been something that made me put my Nikon gear on the shelf, at least for street photography and mountain walking. Ok, we will not have a CL2? May be I will switch to the Z mount and skip Leica. But a camera like the M11, lets call it CL2 full frame with 60 mp resolution combined with a stabilised sensor, tiltable screen, an electric viewfinder with l-mount and a small body, would make me continue my Leica adventure. If not, I guess a move back to Nikon Z mount with adapters will be the future. Espessially with the new Z9 sensor in new and smaller bodies... Well, I am not in a hurry. The CL is actually still a really good camera! The 11-23, 18, 60 apo and 35 on this small CL body is still unbeatable IMO when it comes to weigt against quality. So now Leica should now where my money goes if the do not deliver. Of course a CL2 with stabilised aps sensor and tiltable screen would be my dream! Leica, do you listen? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PEL said:

The CL with  Tl lenses has been something that made me put my Nikon gear on the shelf, at least for street photography and mountain walking. Ok, we will not have a CL2? May be I will switch to the Z mount and skip Leica. But a camera like the M11, lets call it CL2 full frame with 60 mp resolution combined with a stabilised sensor, tiltable screen, an electric viewfinder with l-mount and a small body, would make me continue my Leica adventure. If not, I guess a move back to Nikon Z mount with adapters will be the future. Espessially with the new Z9 sensor in new and smaller bodies... Well, I am not in a hurry. The CL is actually still a really good camera! The 11-23, 18, 60 apo and 35 on this small CL body is still unbeatable IMO when it comes to weigt against quality. So now Leica should now where my money goes if the do not deliver. Of course a CL2 with stabilised aps sensor and tiltable screen would be my dream! Leica, do you listen? 

I think it's as official as it ever gets.  There is no more coming from Leica APSC.  Nikon is definitely a good bet.  The development at Leica APSC has stopped. 😢😢

What I'd like to see is a proper collaboration between the 3 L Mount members and make a single body that is a mash up of the CL, the Q and the FP which is identical but each brand can have it's own logo on it.

Probably FF now, but with an APSC crop option.

I'd be happy bunny and buy at least one.

The Q2 is a bit limited for my needs.

The CL getting a bit long in the tooth possibly and although I'm not totally opposed to APSC...

The FP/L isn't as developed as it could be.

Instead of just sharing a mount and little else, build something together in at least one body. Please.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

What I'd like to see is a proper collaboration between the 3 L Mount members and make a single body that is a mash up of the CL, the Q and the FP which is identical but each brand can have it's own logo on it.

So you'll just pay extra for the red dot?

• Haha 1

“Portfolio Management” as practiced by GM led to cynical badge engineering and poor differentiation. Imagine Leica, Panasonic and Sigma agreeing which camera specs they would own, based on size: Panasonic would get the best spec and Leica the worst. The only way they would accept anything different would be on profit share. So does anyone realistically see that happening?

The Q is a one trick pony. The lens and the shutter are integrated as one unit. It would likely be cheaper to start over and build something designed for ICL. Maybe call it the SL3…

The L-series lenses need to be lightened to compete against systems like Nikon’s planned 50 lens Z Series. Does Leica have the money to do that quickly before they are overwhelmed by FF competitors?

There is no free lunch in this game.

7 minutes ago, elambo said:

Thousands of people do, with new members arriving every day.

Good you have the data at your fingertips! Got the data that shows which products they are buying? Do you also have data that also shows how many are leaving everyday? Would be interested if you could that share with us.