Leica CL discontinued?

2 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Good you have the data at your fingertips! Got the data that shows which products they are buying? Do you also have data that also shows how many are leaving everyday? Would be interested if you could that share with us.

No data necessary as his post was rhetorical and casual to begin with. Does anyone think that Leica sales have ceased? In the continue spirit of being casual, the post I'd quoted wasn't about selling the Red Dot (i.e. people leaving), it was about buying (i.e. people arriving). Their marketing works because Leica continues to make sales. I was recently in the Beverly Hills store and there was a line of customers at the checkout, so long that I had to leave. It's White Coat Syndrome, for cameras, and with dots. Red ones. As I've already said, I couldn't care less about the data or the CL's status -- mine continues to perform today, beautifully, just as it did the day I bought it. Perhaps the balance of customers leans toward the exit door, but, again, I don't much care. Leica isn't at risk of closing their doors in the near future. Now, if there's data suggesting otherwise, that would be interesting to see.

24 minutes ago, elambo said:

No data necessary as his post was rhetorical and casual to begin with. Does anyone think that Leica sales have ceased? In the continue spirit of being casual, the post I'd quoted wasn't about selling the Red Dot (i.e. people leaving), it was about buying (i.e. people arriving). Their marketing works because Leica continues to make sales. I was recently in the Beverly Hills store and there was a line of customers at the checkout, so long that I had to leave. It's White Coat Syndrome, for cameras, and with dots. Red ones. As I've already said, I couldn't care less about the data or the CL's status -- mine continues to perform today, beautifully, just as it did the day I bought it. Perhaps the balance of customers leans toward the exit door, but, again, I don't much care. Leica isn't at risk of closing their doors in the near future. Now, if there's data suggesting otherwise, that would be interesting to see.

In other words you can't back up your claim.

11 hours ago, elambo said:

I was recently in the Beverly Hills store and there was a line of customers at the checkout, so long that I had to leave.

I can tell you the opposite story. I was in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, one Leica Boutique ceased operations. There was also a "Cafe Leitz" in the EmQuartier mall, an official collaboration between Leica and a local chain with cameras on display. Closed as well.

The only remaining Leica Boutique was always empty when I passed in front of it.

Anecdotes don't lead us anywhere and tell us only a irrelevant part of the story.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I can tell you the opposite story. I was in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, one Leica Boutique ceased operations. There was also a "Cafe Leitz" in the EmQuartier mall, an official collaboration between Leica and a local chain with cameras on display. Closed as well.

The only remaining Leica Boutique was always empty when I passed in front of it.

Anecdotes don't lead us anywhere and tell us only a irrelevant part of the story.

Yes, handpicked experiences aren't telling us much. For instance, we're not even considering the change in *how* people buy cameras: away from brick-and-mortar, toward online, thereby removing momentarily-perceived store traffic as a reliable indicator of sales. Though, I simply may fail to see the general point being made. Is the suggestion that Leica is in a downward spiral? Looking at the market's stock performances, most companies are seeing red; not that kind of Red. Phones are hurting photography in myriad ways, akin to newspaper vs. internet, but it's tougher for photography to reinvent itself. Though, if memory serves (it's been a while since this odd topic-offshoot began), we were discussing perceived quality vs. empirical quality. The "Red Dot" effect. I'm no expert, but I know that the Dot alone adds a premium, and I know that others know that, and I know that those others who know that still buy the Dot, even when hardware clones from other companies are less expensive. We still buy Red. I think that was the point? Point aside, the energy here seems to be generated by a will to argue -- not an interest in constructive dialogue -- so I'll leave it to those who find value in contradiction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

No surprise to hear that Cafe Leitz is also "discontinued," even though it only opened in late 2018, IIRC.  Other than logo placement and maybe a few style touches, it had little connection to Leica, in a mall where people would be even less likely to connect the name.

Leica Gaysorn, well, that's another story.  Every time I've set foot in there, I felt more as though I was being challenged than welcomed.  Looking for a certain TL lens on one occasion, I was quoted a price that was higher than Leica's suggested retail.  Headed straight over to Fotofile 1st floor MBK and bought the lens for a nice discount, with friendly service.

Sometimes, especially in these parts, Leica's own employees are their worst enemies.

18 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

No surprise to hear that Cafe Leitz is also "discontinued," even though it only opened in late 2018, IIRC.  Other than logo placement and maybe a few style touches, it had little connection to Leica, in a mall where people would be even less likely to connect the name.

Leica Gaysorn, well, that's another story.  Every time I've set foot in there, I felt more as though I was being challenged than welcomed.  Looking for a certain TL lens on one occasion, I was quoted a price that was higher than Leica's suggested retail.  Headed straight over to Fotofile 1st floor MBK and bought the lens for a nice discount, with friendly service.

Sometimes, especially in these parts, Leica's own employees are their worst enemies.

I’ve been in Fotofile a number of times but always found their Leica gear overpriced…but that seemed to be the trend with all cameras in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

I’ve been in Fotofile a number of times but always found their Leica gear overpriced…but that seemed to be the trend with all cameras in Thailand.

Display prices are high for sure, but can be bargained down substantially in most cases, especially on secondhand.  A little bit of Thai ability and a touch of humor, as you probably know already, can go a long way in the MBK shop.  Their prices on APS-C L-mount glass pre-pandemic were the best I've seen anywhere.

1 hour ago, tritentrue said:

Display prices are high for sure, but can be bargained down substantially in most cases, especially on secondhand.  A little bit of Thai ability and a touch of humor, as you probably know already, can go a long way in the MBK shop.  Their prices on APS-C L-mount glass pre-pandemic were the best I've seen anywhere.

Haggling a bit before getting the "fair" price... is that common throughout Thai camera shops? I know that it's expected with certain products.

1 hour ago, elambo said:

Haggling a bit before getting the "fair" price... is that common throughout Thai camera shops? I know that it's expected with certain products.

In my observation it depends on the shop.  AFAIK, the larger chains (e.g. Big Camera, World Camera) have fixed prices, usually fair market (for Thailand) to begin with.  With the smaller shops, it varies by shop.  If you have a question about a specific shop, message me and I'll be happy to share whatever experience I may have had.

5 hours ago, tritentrue said:

Unfortunately, I can’t claim to have had much success bargaining in Thailand.  In fact, I ended my relationship with Big Camera over them trying to squeeze me for 500b on a XT3 after spending in excess of 300,000b with them.

5 hours ago, elambo said:

It depends on the shop, but it's pretty much with all products. I haggled for a pair of handmade Japanese selvedge denim and managed to bring the price down by a substantial amount, about 200€ instead of 260.

Passing by one of the Leica shops this morning, I noticed that two of the four window displays (see below) had nothing to do with cameras.  Maybe this is what's replacing the CL and APS-C line?   But, hey, if you need a €1000 Zegna case for your compact or CL, they might still have some in stock.  If not, there's a Zegna shop a few doors down.

Watering down the brand ultimately cheapens even the top-of-the-line gear.  I recall a well-known suit maker of the 1960's-'70's whose name was licensed for use on a variety of products.  I think cheap socks and belts are all that bear his name now.

For all I know, though, those overpriced china-made vacuum bottles sell much better than the CL did.  You reckon?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

CL/Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 Nokton II . . . 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tritentrue said:

Passing by one of the Leica shops this morning, I noticed that two of the four window displays (see below) had nothing to do with cameras.  Maybe this is what's replacing the CL and APS-C line?   But, hey, if you need a €1000 Zegna case for your compact or CL, they might still have some in stock.  If not, there's a Zegna shop a few doors down.

Watering down the brand ultimately cheapens even the top-of-the-line gear.  I recall a well-known suit maker of the 1960's-'70's whose name was licensed for use on a variety of products.  I think cheap socks and belts are all that bear his name now.

For all I know, though, those overpriced china-made vacuum bottles sell much better than the CL did.  You reckon?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

CL/Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 Nokton II . . . 

Dust collecting or cupboard filling tat... obviously shop floorspace comes cheap in these places either that or percentage profit on said tat is just ridiculously high, I don't see this does the brand any favours at all, quite the opposite.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, tritentrue said:

Just a follow up to continue the denigration…I tried to buy an M body at Leica Gaysorn on Saturday and they wouldn’t even answer my questions; that store should be shut down.

26 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Just a follow up to continue the denigration…I tried to buy an M body at Leica Gaysorn on Saturday and they wouldn’t even answer my questions; that store should be shut down.

Am Curious..are you from Thailand or just living there?