Poll: Who already has a Leica M11? ... or pre-ordered or firmly planned...

LUF Admin

Do you already have a Leica M11 - or are you planning to purchase one?  

568 members have voted

1. 1. Do you already have a Leica M11 - or are you planning to purchase one?

• I already have a Leica M11
    • I've placed a order for a Leica M11
    • I'm firmly planning to buy a Leica M11
    • I'm still thinking and waiting
    • I'm not interested in a Leica M11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Yes, thank you. One thing I didn't think about was base ISO on the M11 is ISO 64, which I believe is unique in the list of shared sensors. I think a case could be made that the M11 variant of the same base sensor is more heavily modified than just taking the same sensor and adding different toppings (cover glass, IR filter, microlenses). It might be better called an improved/newer/alternative variant of the base sensor.

The sensor toppings (CFA, microlenses) and the custom camera firmware determine much of the sensor behavior (colors, noise, base ISO, DCG point). The base sensor is "only" a starting point.

Just now, SrMi said:

The sensor toppings (CFA, microlenses) and the custom camera firmware determine much of the sensor behavior (colors, noise, base ISO, DCG point). The base sensor is "only" a starting point.

I thought base native ISO was a function of the core sensor hardware. They can cheat the base ISO in firmware, but ISO 64 is supposed to be the true native base ISO for the M11 sensor, and it's not for the other cameras that supposedly use the same sensor.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

Sony can make so many difference sensors, they are not all the same! they even keep the real good technology for themselves until the next gen comes out.

That is probably wrong. There are definitely Sony sensors in cameras of other brands that are (or were) better than anything Sony had in its own cameras.

27 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I thought base native ISO was a function of the core sensor hardware. They can cheat the base ISO in firmware, but ISO 64 is supposed to be the true native base ISO for the M11 sensor, and it's not for the other cameras that supposedly use the same sensor.

I do not know the details of M11's implementation, nor do I know for sure that it is a Sony sensor (very likely though). 

Nikon is the other FF camera that has ISO 64 as base ISO (different sensor, though). They did that by creating more full well capacity at base ISO 64 (quote: Thom Hogan). Maybe Leica was able to do something similar. 

46 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I do not know the details of M11's implementation, nor do I know for sure that it is a Sony sensor (very likely though). 

Nikon is the other FF camera that has ISO 64 as base ISO (different sensor, though). They did that by creating more full well capacity at base ISO 64 (quote: Thom Hogan). Maybe Leica was able to do something similar. 

I think "full well capacity at ISO 64" is just a technical way of saying "native ISO is 64". What I'm not sure about is how much modification to the base sensor that required.

It could be that the M11 sensor is a hybrid between the A7R4 and Z7 tech.

Yesterday I figured out how to help fund an M11 by selling other cameras / lenses / accessories ... but I'd also need to buy the M11 EVF and a spare battery and ideally a 50mm lens (currently have only 35mm and 90mm M lenses). Today I've almost decided to not buy an M11 but to continue using my M9 ... and maybe buy a Noctilux or Summilux 50mm both of which I used to own and regret selling. But I could be persuaded to by an M11 if e.g. Leica camera AG was to offer a complimentary spare battery and a discounted EVF ... EVFs likely cost 'not so much' to manufacture (Epson?) ... I'd really need an EVF so can further justify an M11 by using legacy lenses. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Yesterday I figured out how to help fund an M11 by selling other cameras / lenses / accessories ... but I'd also need to buy the M11 EVF and a spare battery and ideally a 50mm lens (currently have only 35mm and 90mm M lenses). Today I've almost decided to not buy an M11 but to continue using my M9 ... and maybe buy a Noctilux or Summilux 50mm both of which I used to own and regret selling. But I could be persuaded to by an M11 if e.g. Leica camera AG was to offer a complimentary spare battery and a discounted EVF ... EVFs likely cost 'not so much' to manufacture (Epson?) ... I'd really need an EVF so can further justify an M11 by using legacy lenses. 

dunk

I know we are all on a budget in these difficult times, well everyone except Richi Sunak and family, but if I'm doing the maths right . . .

The M11 costs £7,500, and that's a LOT of money even in good times, but you'd be prepared to spend that if Leica gave a free battery, which costs £150?  Sorry, I'm not being argumentative just for the sake of it, just don't really understand the financial logic.

The EVF is a different issue, and I agree it's over priced, but how do you managed legacy lenses on the M9 anyway? 

5 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

I know we are all on a budget in these difficult times, well everyone except Richi Sunak and family, but if I'm doing the maths right . . .

The M11 costs £7,500, and that's a LOT of money even in good times, but you'd be prepared to spend that if Leica gave a free battery, which costs £150?  Sorry, I'm not being argumentative just for the sake of it, just don't really understand the financial logic.

The EVF is a different issue, and I agree it's over priced, but how do you managed legacy lenses on the M9 anyway? 

Where do I mention using legacy lenses on my M9?  ... I don't.  But if I owned an M11 or M10R I would ... And recently some dealers have offered complimentary spare batteries with M digital cameras. I buy from whichever dealer offers best value. £150 is not 'peanuts'  ... might be for some but not for me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Where do I mention using legacy lenses on my M9?  ... I don't.  But if I owned an M11 or M10R I would ... And recently some dealers have offered complimentary spare batteries with M digital cameras. I buy from whichever dealer offers best value. £150 is not 'peanuts'  ... might be for some but not for me. 

OK, I get that, and £150 would be a big chunk out of my state pension.  As for the M11, it's so far out of my reach, it might just as well be priced at £75,000!  Would make no difference.  But if you can afford £7,350 then another £150 doesn't seem a big stretch.  Anyway, if you can afford the camera then good luck to you and I'm sure it will reward you with excellent photos for many years to come 🙂

^^^^^ I cannot afford £7500 but 2 days ago realised that one or two of my 'collectibles' might sell for a few £'000 on eBay ... the proceeds could help fund a current model M digital ... as per my original post ... the idea is 'ticking over' 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kwesi said:

The M11 battery is so good that I wouldn't bother getting a spare as part of the initial purchase.

I bought mine in January and haven't needed one since.

The new battery lasts a whole day, easy, for most people.  I still bought a backup because I have had instances where I have forgotten to charge my battery.  I swap them each time I charge so I don’t have a stagnant battery that has lost all its charge when those emergencies pop up.

But yeah, you don’t need two batteries on a single day of shooting. 

Agree on the battery. I haven’t needed an extra battery while out shooting, even though I bought one for peace of mind. It would be far cheaper to buy a powerbank and recharge on-the-go using that. 

I thought about the EVF but I too couldn’t quite stretch to afford it as well as the camera and a lens (50mm Summicron). I decided to get the Leica lens to enjoy the full experience as this is my first M. I very nearly bought the Voightlander equivalent though. Had I done so, i could have got the EVF, lens and still had change left over. 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:24 AM, ianforber said:

Agree on the battery. I haven’t needed an extra battery while out shooting, even though I bought one for peace of mind. It would be far cheaper to buy a powerbank and recharge on-the-go using that. 

I thought about the EVF but I too couldn’t quite stretch to afford it as well as the camera and a lens (50mm Summicron). I decided to get the Leica lens to enjoy the full experience as this is my first M. I very nearly bought the Voightlander equivalent though. Had I done so, i could have got the EVF, lens and still had change left over. 

You don’t need the evf unless you are using a lens wider then the frame lines or you are using a lens with closer than .7 mfd.  I have it and haven’t used it after the first week.  Also my first m and really enjoying the manual rangefinder experience.

I received my M11 about 4 weeks ago. I still have my M10-R. 

I really like the M11. I just got back from a 9 day trip to the UK and Holland. I'm still post-processing the images shot with my M11, but so far, I'm very happy with the results. I shot 1,300+ images with the APO Summicron 35mm lens. I took my APO Summicron 50mm lens, but it never left my camera bag. The resolution of the M11 is insane with this excellent lens.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the store today to pick up a black M11 and came away with a silver one. It’s just more visually appealing to me even though it’s heavier. Bought a handgrip too to help me cope with that extra weight..

Now wondering whether to dress it up with a black Leica dot I have lying around..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

After having used a betatest M11 for some months now I have finally decided to buy a M11 (and plan to sell my lovely M10r).

I should receive a black M11 soon and looking forward to it. I do like the advanced exposure metering (even if it needs some further FW improvement IMO), I like the battery and the faster access to battery and SD Card, I like the colors (when using C1 profiles) and file quality, and I like the new EVF (when I shoot UWA or 75mm-otherwise I use the rangefinder anyways).

I agree that the M11 feels a bit more modern and the M10R a little more classic (bottom plate etc.)