Poll: Who already has a Leica M11? ... or pre-ordered or firmly planned...

LUF Admin

Do you already have a Leica M11 - or are you planning to purchase one?  

568 members have voted

1. 1. Do you already have a Leica M11 - or are you planning to purchase one?

• I already have a Leica M11
    • I've placed a order for a Leica M11
    • I'm firmly planning to buy a Leica M11
    • I'm still thinking and waiting
    • I'm not interested in a Leica M11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello.  Not a usual person to post.  Wanted to add a quick comment.  

I’ve been a M9 guy for years.  Loved the CCD and the colors and the emotional quality of the pics.  Had (briefly) and M10 and wasn’t blown away.

Was on Amazon and saw I could get an M11 last week and they delivered in 3 days.

No kidding - Blown away.  It’s the M9 colors with more DR and all the artistry and passion and it works really well.  

I’m shocked. 

I bought it on a whim and am soooo glad I did.  What a great camera.  I just love it.  I’ve waited for this for ten years.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rwchisholm said:

Hello.  Not a usual person to post.  Wanted to add a quick comment.  

I’ve been a M9 guy for years.  Loved the CCD and the colors and the emotional quality of the pics.  Had (briefly) and M10 and wasn’t blown away.

Was on Amazon and saw I could get an M11 last week and they delivered in 3 days.

No kidding - Blown away.  It’s the M9 colors with more DR and all the artistry and passion and it works really well.  

I’m shocked. 

I bought it on a whim and am soooo glad I did.  What a great camera.  I just love it.  I’ve waited for this for ten years.  

Congrats! But I'm more shocked by the fact that you found one in stock on a whim :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a used M10 about 12 months ago (my first M). At first I was not happy with the results. Then I switched from a 35 Summicron to a 35 Summilux FLE and I also learned how to correctly focus and expose the M10.  l fell in love with the M system. I then purchased a M50 Summilux and M75 Summarit. I really like all these lenses and the M system so much that I purchased and received a M11 and Visoflex 2 in February. (I actually sold my M10 for more than I paid for it) The M11 is a noticeably improved camera in many areas. This week I sold my Q2 and purchased a Summilux M28 1.4. I also own a SL2 and several lenses and I now feel totally satisfied with my camera equipment. That said, I find myself using the M11 more often than the SL2, but the SL2 has capabilities the M11 will never have.

• Like 2

Just bought a chrome M11. This will replace the two Leica MP film cameras and the Nikon D850. (Film, sadly, has become far too expenive this year and the cost of film seems to be doubling every year). This is the first Leica digital camera I have wanted to buy because all the new features finally makes it complete - for example, the ability to use my 21mm super-angulon, the high shutter speeds to enable me to use my Noctilux E58 in daylight, the multi-field metering, etc etc. This might well be the last camera I ever buy (and I wear a camera with me wherever I go).

Doesn't appear to be any supply issues in the UK

Edited by phototrope

On 5/13/2022 at 5:13 PM, Surelythisnameisfree said:

Went to the store today to pick up a black M11 and came away with a silver one. It’s just more visually appealing to me even though it’s heavier. Bought a handgrip too to help me cope with that extra weight..

Now wondering whether to dress it up with a black Leica dot I have lying around..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

East is east, west is west. Silver is best :)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Jim B:

No way, not after this review…. What’s up with the shutter????   And the horrid peach skin tones …..   

For my ears the shutter is not as different in real life as it sounds in the video. Indeed, if you switch the M10r to liveview, its slower than the M11 shutter in liveview.

But I would recommend anybody to check himself if he likes the shutter sound or not. I slightly prefer the M10r shutter sound, but got used to the M11 quickly.

The advanced metering, reduced shutter delay when using liveview (which I only do for longer lenses or close focusing with the 35mm) and the powerful battery are more important to me. But as I said before, there is something special about the M10r.

Edited by tom0511

Now I’ve had time to evaluate and consider, I don’t think I would purchase an M11 in its current form. Increased resolution and implementation of shutter (mechanical & electronic) seem to have come with compromises that weaken core strengths for shooting handheld.

For my use, I don’t really need 60MP files in an M camera. Would prefer improvements in dynamic range and low light performance over increased resolution. Overall image quality, aesthetic and usable range is more important than number of pixels.

I rarely, if ever use M cameras on a tripod. 60MP might make handheld shots at slower shutter speeds with mechanical shutter problematic.

Implementation and responsiveness of mechanical shutter also seems clunky / laggy with need to open and close twice due to metering off sensor.

M11 sensor readout speed is far too slow to use electronic shutter for anything other than static shots. Would love the ability to use electronic shutter in an M, but needs to work well in dynamic situations.

In my view the appeal and strength of M cameras was always as compact, agile and responsive precision tools. Great for handheld use and capturing the immediacy of life in any situation. M11 doesn’t seem to be as versatile or useful for this.

Rangefinder / OVF aside, price is also getting a bit absurd for a digital camera that has a relatively short life cycle and is ultimately a disposable item. (Due to obsolescence, component failure and future inability to repair.) Especially when so many other digital cameras are all very capable these days and can even mount the same lenses.

27 minutes ago, J12 said:

Now I’ve had time to evaluate and consider, I don’t think I would purchase an M11 in its current form. Increased resolution and implementation of shutter (mechanical & electronic) seem to have come with compromises that weaken core strengths for shooting handheld.

For my use, I don’t really need 60MP files in an M camera. Would prefer improvements in dynamic range and low light performance over increased resolution. Overall image quality, aesthetic and usable range is more important than number of pixels.

I rarely, if ever use M cameras on a tripod. 60MP might make handheld shots at slower shutter speeds with mechanical shutter problematic.

Implementation and responsiveness of mechanical shutter also seems clunky / laggy with need to open and close twice due to metering off sensor.

M11 sensor readout speed is far too slow to use electronic shutter for anything other than static shots. Would love the ability to use electronic shutter in an M, but needs to work well in dynamic situations.

In my view the appeal and strength of M cameras was always as compact, agile and responsive precision tools. Great for handheld use and capturing the immediacy of life in any situation. M11 doesn’t seem to be as versatile or useful for this.

Rangefinder / OVF aside, price is also getting a bit absurd for a digital camera that has a relatively short life cycle and is ultimately a disposable item. (Due to obsolescence, component failure and future inability to repair.) Especially when so many other digital cameras are all very capable these days and can even mount the same lenses.

A well reasoned post and I agree entirely. Many non-Leica mirrorless cameras are too heavy and obtrusive for my needs, and once again I'm considering an M. I do like the weight loss of the black M11, and the loss of the baseplate. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb J12:

I only can strongly recommend to make opinion based on own experience and not on speculations (of other people).

I have tested  M10r and M11 response/shutter delay shooting a stopwatch. If there is any difference than it is very small, I can not feel a real world difference, besides in live view, where the M11 is a little faster than the M10(r). The sound may give you a different impression than the real delay.

Electronic shutter of almost all cameras besides the Z9 and R3 or Sony A1 is so slow, that it works fine for still and slow moving things, but not for fast moving things. You could see it as an extra for shooting shallow DOF still and slow moving subjects.  

The improved exposure metering makes the camera more spontaneous for me, specially for subjects where I want to catch the moment (you can always shoot a landscape twice with corrected exposure, but not a "moment".

IN regards of price I can't argue against your comment ;) Except than I still enjoy the Leica built quality and user interface over other cameras and the M lenses do not work as good on other cameras (in the corners) aas they work on a Leica M body.

6 hours ago, J12 said:

With the same sensor technology, high resolution has the same DR as lower resolution sensors (output level). M11's DR is among the best DR-s available for FF sensors. I do not know any available technology to improve M11's DR.
M11's resolution is not much higher than M10-R's resolution. Therefore, similar shutter speeds are required. However, M11's 60MP works very well handheld.
The shutter is different but not noticeably worse once you get used to it.
Even with the slow sensor readout, the electronic shutter opens possibilities that were previously not possible with M cameras.
I do not see that M11 has lost anything in compactness, agility, or precision.
The price of M11 is similar to M10-R.

On 6/4/2022 at 4:41 AM, J12 said:

...Implementation and responsiveness of mechanical shutter also seems clunky / laggy with need to open and close twice due to metering off sensor...

Clunky? Definitely, IMO. Laggy? No. The mistake is thinking the image is being captured at the end of the clunky shutter sounds versus the beginning. 

• Like 1