Poll: Who already has a Leica M11? ... or pre-ordered or firmly planned...

LUF Admin

Do you already have a Leica M11 - or are you planning to purchase one?  

568 members have voted

1. 1. Do you already have a Leica M11 - or are you planning to purchase one?

• I already have a Leica M11
    • I've placed a order for a Leica M11
    • I'm firmly planning to buy a Leica M11
    • I'm still thinking and waiting
    • I'm not interested in a Leica M11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the battery capacity and low power consumption  is a huge improvement.
Never need to think about charging spare batteries and to bring them along.
Normally I charge my M11 once per week that is sufficient for at least 700 clicks (never exhausted my battery)

• Like 2

The best poll selection, for me, seemed to be “I'm still thinking and waiting.” There are a couple of potential M-mount lens additions that are occupying my attention. One might as well upgrade lenses, before upgrading cameras. Regarding cameras, I am still deciding whether to follow the Monochrom path. My M10 and M 246 cameras remain sufficient, in the near term.

An M11 would certainly be nice to have, for landscape images during a road trip, next week, as an M11 can do things that no previous M camera can do, but, I have not discarded my DSLR equipment. 😉 

Then, there are those bothersome reports of bugs and problems. Perhaps the M11-P could become a goal, after I have achieved the addition of an APO Summicron 35mm ASPH.

Edited by RexGig0

I would love one, but I am very very happy with the SL2, and it does seem a bit like Leica lost the plot on the pricing of the M series. I am used to big heavy cameras, since I shoot a lot of large format, but the SL2 and SL system is better suited for me. I am primarily a landscape and art photographer, and I work a lot out of a car as I travel the country, so the weight is not always a burden. When it is, I have a Q2 and a Ricoh GRIIIx. But I also can't help but thinking the SL series is the bargain of the Leica world at the moment. Though much bigger and heavier, the lenses are better from a technical perspective than the M lenses, and they are cheaper to boot, as are both bodies. I have found the sensor in the SL2 to be my favorite of recent memory. I like it even better than the S3. Given that the M10R shares the sensor design with the S3, that means that the SL2 is really the sensor for me.

I think the Q2 is great, but honestly, I would have preferred any lens longer than 28mm. Better yet, no lens at all. I think it would have been a better "CL2" than any other option. Just a scaled down version of the SL2. That would suit me better than an M11 these days. Don't get me wrong, I would love if someone gave me an M11, but the price does seem a bit crazy. I remember paying 4700 USD for a new M8, around 6500 for the M9 and about the same for the M10. 5500 for a lightly used SL2. 9000 dollars plus VAT for the M11 seems a bit steep for what is essentially a downgrade in features for my use. If it cost 5000 or 6000 I would seriously consider it (especially as a replacement for the Q2), but at the price it is now...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll shop one M11, black, because of the sensor and file size.
But I already do regret this very light weight that makes it unstable in hands over the weight of large lenses, only because of paint. Definitely ridiculous. A body camera is a tool that provides shots and files to be processed as far as possible, nothing fancy or nose up "classy". Please prepare a simple and anonymous black dot to replace the red light (district) over the lens, it disturbs the eyes of the models, plus the cows turning crazy as soon as they catch a red point with their tender eyes. I'll be soon coming. Cheers  :)

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, idusidusi said:

Yes this was my experience in the Leica Store, I could focus the 11 using the Split-Image method with my deteriorating eyesight. Of course also with M-lenses hyperfocal and zone focussing is easy (with some practice). So mine is on order but I doubt I will receive it for another 2 months or so. The store said 3 months. 

Well I have good news and bad news. I can collect my M11 in a week or so. The bad news is that I ordered it with the Red Leica Logo in black but apparently the gurus at Leica don't allow that anymore!

On 3/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, satijntje said:

For me the battery capacity and low power consumption  is a huge improvement.
Never need to think about charging spare batteries and to bring them along.
Normally I charge my M11 once per week that is sufficient for at least 700 clicks (never exhausted my battery)

And dynamic range seems to be better (coming from M10).

12 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Do you happen to know where I can go to see a direct comparison online? 

Not M11 vs. Hasselblad, but M11 with 75MM APO Summicron vs GFX. Scroll down for the city + landscape images; not a scientific comparison, but shows that there is still a difference (e.g. M11 grainy noise across the fields in the distance); click twice on each image to zoom in to full resolution:

https://mostlyblackandwhite.wordpress.com/2022/03/18/its-what-it-is-now/

I like the GFX image quality better but could not take the camera with me every day (unlike M11).

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, mzbe said:

Not M11 vs. Hasselblad, but M11 with 75MM APO Summicron vs GFX. Scroll down for the city + landscape images; not a scientific comparison, but shows that there is still a difference (e.g. M11 grainy noise across the fields in the distance); click twice on each image to zoom in to full resolution:

https://mostlyblackandwhite.wordpress.com/2022/03/18/its-what-it-is-now/

I like the GFX image quality better but could not take the camera with me every day (unlike M11).

Thank you. An interesting comparison. As far as noise pattern, looks like the M11 image is ISO 640 and the GFX image is ISO 160?  If so, this might explain along with sensor size and BSI, some of the noise pattern differences. Either way, thank you again for the comparison photos. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Thank you. An interesting comparison. As far as noise pattern, looks like the M11 image is ISO 640 and the GFX image is ISO 160?  If so, this might explain along with sensor size and BSI, some of the noise pattern differences. Either way, thank you again for the comparison photos. 

Thanks - to be clear, not my blog; I am also grateful to the author for sharing his experiences

Got mine this week. Waited and yearned for 50 years to get a Leica M and as this was the latest (and some opine the greatest - how would I know?) I went for it. Walked into the Leica Store in Sydney and they happened to have 1 unit (other than pre-orders).

Took a whole nanosecond to decide. Scratched that itch !!!

Now I just have to learn a new ‘ecosystem’ after years of Nikon, Fujifilm and a few others along the way.

So far over the moon at just the JPEG’s let alone the RAW. It’s just a delight with the press of a button. I’m addicted.

A simple and brief “settings and function buttons guide” would be a great resource if anyone knows of one. The manual is overwhelming.

I've had my silver M11 for a little over a month now, and so far I love it. For me it's the first Leica (and range finder) I've ever owned, so one thing I struggled with was which lens to get. I planned to get just one to start with because I don't have unlimited funds. At the store where I bought the camera, which was not the official Leica store as they didn't have it in stock, they recommended I'd start with the 35mm Summicron. This was a great lens but I got sick and was homebound and with my cat as the primary test subject I felt like I needed a little bit more (even though with 60MP you can easily crop of course), so I ended up exchanged it for the 50mm Summilux (silver) and played with that for a while. I loved the images this lens produced, but it felt a bit heavy and I could go outside again and noticed I could really use the 35mm. I ended up buying the 35mm Summilux (silver) and it's been great! 

Then... I visited the official Leica store in town, where they have a lot of occasions for sale. One of which was a black 50mm Summilux priced about 1300 EUR cheaper than new. Everything works great but there are some scuffs on the housing, the lens itself is excellent. While I was aware of the weight difference in black/silver M11, I was not aware of the difference in lens weight. The black 50mm felt better to me somehow. The sales person did tell me silver ones generally retain value a little better (no clue if that's true). I never even thought about buying an occasion until now, he also tempted me with a few hundred euro discount on a new 50mm lux.. so while I did not plan to buy anything that day, I could not leave without taking this occasion lens home with me. So now I have both! 

It's been a fun experience and maybe at some point I'll find a place to write down more of my thoughts. This is in no way a camera I need, but I've wanted one since forever and now I had an opportunity. The main thing I like (which I know is not exclusive to the M11) is that this is a tool that just works, because there's no automation nothing working against me. When I click the button it takes a picture, and it's fully up to me whether it turns out well. The automated ISO/shutterspeed is still useful for me, but I have noticed I get better results if I take the time and a couple of attempts to set them manually. I'm already starting to get better at manual focus, beginning to understand zone focusing better as well. 

Can't wait to see where I will be at in a few months/year. 

• Like 3

I have the black M11 and love it.  Despite what I have read, I actually like that it is a lighter camera in weight compared to the silver version (or my other M10-P).  Also the electronic shutter allows me to shoot wide open without using a ND filter.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:52 PM, Petrichor said:

Got mine this week. Waited and yearned for 50 years to get a Leica M and as this was the latest (and some opine the greatest - how would I know?) I went for it. Walked into the Leica Store in Sydney and they happened to have 1 unit (other than pre-orders).

Took a whole nanosecond to decide. Scratched that itch !!!

Now I just have to learn a new ‘ecosystem’ after years of Nikon, Fujifilm and a few others along the way.

So far over the moon at just the JPEG’s let alone the RAW. It’s just a delight with the press of a button. I’m addicted.

A simple and brief “settings and function buttons guide” would be a great resource if anyone knows of one. The manual is overwhelming.

LEICA M11:

QUICK START GUIDE

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/796188.pdf