M11 in Black or Silver?

brettgoulder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did experience the same "color choice" problem when I got the M10 but to be honest my only black Leica has been the black chrome M8. I totally understand that a black body stays less noticed if you carry it in your hands with a wrist strap or covered by a jacket. What decided the color in the past for me has been availability. I had two M10s in silver since its release and a silver M240 because those were the best available cameras on the 2nd hand market and I was happy with them, same as the black M8. I usually prefer the base models because they lack the beautiful top engraving which I think is nice to look at but doesn't stay unnoticed. The monochrome bodies are the stealthiest in my experience. This is how I decided to cover up the red dot on my recent M which is a bit nicer than just the black tape. Kind of reminds me of an M9 body. A camera I've skipped in the past.

If you want more visuals of the silver body to decide for yourself, you can check out the article on my blog for more photos. (Written in German unfortunately because I think there's already good enough content available in English so far: Leica M11 Review - Testbericht)

I would still love to try out the new black M11 and see how good it will age but I'm sure the silver model will look nice no matter what happens to it. That's what's my experience with the previous silver M cameras.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, GFML said:

This is how I decided to cover up the red dot on my recent M which is a bit nicer than just the black tape. Kind of reminds me of an M9 body. A camera I've skipped in the past.

Nicely done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, stefanusj said:

the choice will be much simpler when the black paint (the shinny one) M11 arrived... LOL

Is that even possible? The "Bottom plate" is no longer brass right? Only the top plate. So if you get a black paint M11, the top will brass but the bottom wont. 

• Like 1

My thinking has shifted over the course of the M11 launch and infancy.  I had it preordered in silver but switched that to black.  The reason is, M11 is a radical departure.  It makes sense to keep an M10R alongside it for a while.  My color Ms are all silver or stainless steel, and are solid and heavy.  It would be interesting to test a slightly lighter body with a smaller lens.  I tried the new Voigtlanders 35/2 in retro design and they were cool, yet sent them back not to detract from the 35 Lux and Cron.  The black paint 35 Cron can be a good candidate to test for a light walkabout combo.  Just like with the rest of the M11 disruptions, it feels that the new weight cannot be decided by talking about it but rather by carrying it. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm puzzled why they didn't make the silver version out of aluminum, and in a year follow up with a special edition in brass for purists and collectors. 

I've not seen one good black aluminum finish. They all wear terribly; even Apple cannot get it right despite their quasi-infinite budgets. Magnesium and titanium are a bit better, but they start shining on the edges after a year or so.

At the same time, I'm yet to see a poorly worn silver anodised aluminum object. Even serious scratches are near-invisible on these. Even the cheapest silver aluminum objects I've owned look okay after years of use. More similarly, my wife has a very nice silver X100V, and despite heavy use, the top panel is good as new.

So why not just make a silver aluminum M11? 

• Like 2

Am 2.2.2022 um 17:41 schrieb daysareforgotten:

I'm puzzled why they didn't make the silver version out of aluminum, and in a year follow up with a special edition in brass for purists and collectors. 

I've not seen one good black aluminum finish. They all wear terribly; even Apple cannot get it right despite their quasi-infinite budgets. Magnesium and titanium are a bit better, but they start shining on the edges after a year or so.

At the same time, I'm yet to see a poorly worn silver anodised aluminum object. Even serious scratches are near-invisible on these. Even the cheapest silver aluminum objects I've owned look okay after years of use. More similarly, my wife has a very nice silver X100V, and despite heavy use, the top panel is good as new.

So why not just make a silver aluminum M11? 

yes, good question. The original Leica T Alu worked very well either.

If you are concerned about durability of the black finish (as I am - M11 black on order), this protective skin may offer some peace of mind (while preserving the benefit of reduced weight vs. the silver body):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/115208629359

3 hours ago, mzbe said:

If you are concerned about durability of the black finish (as I am - M11 black on order), this protective skin may offer some peace of mind (while preserving the benefit of reduced weight vs. the silver body):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/115208629359

All reports say that the new black finish is much more durable than anything leica has done before.

• Like 3

Here’s a pic of mine today. As you can see it’s a stealthier black / more matte VS the regular black in the lens. 

• Like 5

On 1/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, sarkleshark said:

I tried both today.  The black is lighter but more importantly there is a slight texture to the finish.  When I picked up a silver it began slipping out of my hand as my thumb slid easily (I usually use a thumbs up).  Interestingly the slight texture of the black --my thumb did not slip and felt much more secure.  Will have to see in all conditions but it maybe I don't need a thumbs up on the black paint which would be a game changer as the new visoflex is so incredible.  You can't use a thumbs up together with the visoflex and I would love to leave the visoflex on all the time.. 

I’d like to echo this.  I also find my need for an extra thumb support has vanished with the black model, thanks to the texture and weight.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, GFML said:

I did experience the same "color choice" problem when I got the M10 but to be honest my only black Leica has been the black chrome M8. I totally understand that a black body stays less noticed if you carry it in your hands with a wrist strap or covered by a jacket. What decided the color in the past for me has been availability. I had two M10s in silver since its release and a silver M240 because those were the best available cameras on the 2nd hand market and I was happy with them, same as the black M8. I usually prefer the base models because they lack the beautiful top engraving which I think is nice to look at but doesn't stay unnoticed. The monochrome bodies are the stealthiest in my experience. This is how I decided to cover up the red dot on my recent M which is a bit nicer than just the black tape. Kind of reminds me of an M9 body. A camera I've skipped in the past.

If you want more visuals of the silver body to decide for yourself, you can check out the article on my blog for more photos. (Written in German unfortunately because I think there's already good enough content available in English so far: Leica M11 Review - Testbericht)

I would still love to try out the new black M11 and see how good it will age but I'm sure the silver model will look nice no matter what happens to it. That's what's my experience with the previous silver M cameras.

@GFML  How did you attach the viewfinder illumination window to your M11?  It's a great looking modification!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

For me the most interesting thing about the M11 is the lightness of the Black version. At 530g it's 130g lighter than the silver version or current M's. It definitely makes a difference in how much one wants to take the camera when they leave the house. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford it until the M12 is out. And by that time they will probably have an EVF integrated with the VF like the Fuji X-Pro. And I'll probably need it because my eyes won't be as good. But I would have to wait until the M13 is out to afford it. 

Edited by BarberShop
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/13/2022 at 9:27 PM, brettgoulder said:

Which color are you going with for the M11? Black or Silver?

Black has the stealthy looks and lighter weight.

Silver feels more substantial and will have really nice brassing over time.

Decisions, decisions...

Blacked out, Black and Leica in black.

I blame you guys 😉 just changed my order from black to silver. I will be using the EVF regularly (don't judge - using the 21mm a lot) and it sounds plausible that taking it on and off would cause some tear and wear. Furthermore, while I would have appreciated the stealthiness of black and the weight savings, I kind of like the black/silver look, a bit more unique vs. the more common all black stuff (come on, even Sony can do *that*).

I dropped off my SL, SL2 and all my SL lenses at the consigner recently (going with M and TL2 system only); he is a Leica dealer as well and told me overwhelmingly, his Asian customers order silver.  I have a silver on order as well and think it looks more like the classic 1950s/1960s look for Ms as well as Canon and Nikon rangefinders for that era.

• Like 1

My view to this: 

- weight silver +130g: For me the balance lens/camera is essential when carrying the camera around. Not so much the plus 130g. I do mind the heavy silver 50 Summilux against the black one as it uncomfortably hangs down (not balenced). But with the body itself I have no issue. I will wear lighter shoes instead . . . So my decision is not based on these 130g.

- The silver M10 that I had was so solid that I only want silver again. My M10 fell down a cupple of times and the little bangs at the edges could always well be polishes out (or flattened) so that there were just minimal marks left. No bras colour was ever coming through the silver. That is why my M11 is silver again. Its very solid finish.

• Like 1