M11-D?

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Crem said:

This is question for all M10-D owners:

Will you sell (or trade-in) your M10-D to get a M11-D? or buy one as a second body and keep the M10-D? or skip it completely because of some feature you don't like (shutter, sensor, etc)?

Personally I am excited there is a chance that the M11-D will happen and I regret not getting a new M10-D back when they were still available. 

Depends what the M11-D has.  

If it has the same live view exposure metering and shutter as the M11, no; if it has 60MP, not sure as that level of resolution is completely unnecessary in an M camera, in my view (40 is enough); if it has all the cropping and pixel binning nonsense, it won’t attract me but I accept I can ignore it.  If there is a whiff of frezzing and bricking, absolutely not.

Conversely, the USB-c charging and connectivity is appealing, as is losing the baseplate, and larger battery (not essential for me); improved WiFi connectivity would be great; and retaining the thumbrest might just push me over the edge.  If an option was available as a Monochrom (with the above), I’d put my order in straightaway.

My porcine friends are fuelled and ready for take-off …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When the M-11 was launched I hoped that eventually a M11-D version would follow sooner or later. Meanwhile, I consider to continue with my M10-D, the 24MP are sufficient for my kind of photography and the reports about frozen M-11 cameras are not encouraging me to go for it. I also would miss the bottom plate and the shutter sound.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, Crem said:

Will you sell (or trade-in) your M10-D to get a M11-D? or buy one as a second body and keep the M10-D? or skip it completely because of some feature you don't like (shutter, sensor, etc)?

Personally I am excited there is a chance that the M11-D will happen and I regret not getting a new M10-D back when they were still available. 

Hi Crem 

10-D is my only digital M and sometimes I tell myself I 'need' a screened M for certain uses (the GAS passes though).    So if an 11-D comes about I don't think I could justify 2 screenless M's.    

This probably means no upgrade as the thought of losing my 10-D is not pleasant :D  I outlined the reasons in my other post but the 10-D seems a perfect fit for the photographs I like to take with a screenless M. 

I only get happier with it the more time I have with it. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

now, that the M11-P is out, i am wondering what will happen to our M11-D dream ?  'D' as (D)ream - now we know what 'D' stands for, right ?  any news in this regard ?  does Steven in France via his hot wire to Wetzlar know more in this matter ?  how long ?  how much ?

i am mainly interested in a new (improved) sensor 60MP, higher bit rate, highlights better preserved, and so on, though no IBIS on the horizon so far :(

then perhaps also a faster boot/wakeup time, on/off switch built into the shutter release button, please keep that fake-advance-lever, usw usf...

Edited by fenykepesz
typo

Am 3.10.2023 um 00:54 schrieb Crem:

yes, i am pretty sure i would sell my old M10-D in order to pay for a new M11-D.  but see here...

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Haha 1

Now that the M11-P is out... I sure hope we get a M11-D. I've given up hope on finding a reasonably priced M10-D. I simply won't spend what it takes to get a used one without warranty, etc. What do we need to do to convince Leica to actually make a M11-D? From what I recall it sounds like the M10-D didn't sell well, but now has a bit of cult following. It also sounds like Leica might make a M11-D, but sounds like they are still undecided?

Edited by Crem
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Crem said:

It also sounds like Leica might make a M11-D, but sounds like they are still undecided?

We had a member who might know a little more. But if he comes back and tells us something, he'll probably disappear again pretty soon. 😉

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, evikne said:

We had a member who might know a little more. But if he comes back and tells us something, he'll probably disappear again pretty soon. 😉

😂I do miss Steven's posts. We are allowed to say his name right? Fortunately he's easy to find... I always enjoy his Instagram posts from around the world. I'm assuming he'll be gone for at least a year and the M11-D (if it launches) should hopefully be out before then?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The M11-P doesn't tempt me over my M11. An M11-D would though. But only if it has the lever grip..

Gordon

Totally agree. Upgrading from the M11 to the M11-P doesn't make much sense. I can't figure out who the target market for the new digital signature feature is. How many professional photojournalists are running around with Leica M cameras? I suspect way more M customers would care about the M11-D.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Crem said:

I'm assuming he'll be gone for at least a year and the M11-D (if it launches) should hopefully be out before then?

I was hoping he might come back after the launch of the M11-P, since his talk about this were probably the reason he was banned. But the fact that this is something that has been repeated may not be in his favor.

• Like 2

I've tried an M11 this week for the first time and, as nice as it is, I wouldn't change mine for a 60MP D variant at this point (even if available).  The difference in the images for the type of photography the D lens itself to (IMO that's street) was quite compelling in favour of the 10.  More pop to the images from the smaller sensor, and other things such as the colours were more appealing to me as a personal taste.  Strangely my images were sharper from the 10 also, possibly due to camera shake which if so I guess was my fault. I used the same lens on both bodies as I have 2 copies and the difference in images was striking.  Killed my GAS entirely.  

For other uses then there's no doubt the 11 is a beautiful camera.  It was nice to use (the shutter sound didn't bother me whatsoever) and the files were of course more malleable, if you are into that kind of thing 😛  But as expected with the higher resolution sensor are flatter out of camera (RAW).   I'll keep that sensor (either in 11 variant or another body - SLsomething ?!) in mind for other things but wouldn't replace it for the things I use my 10-D for.  

With all this in mind what would be more intriguing for a screenless 11 would be a smaller sensor like with the 24MP SLS line .   But then I'm not sure what it could offer to beat the 10 in my own use case.    In the wider picture - availability and some modern upgrades such as USB charge and Internal Storage, I guess.  

Summary: I knew my 10-D was good but I didn't realise it was this good !

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

My ideal camera would be an M10-D Monochrom version with the M10M sensor. A niche of a niche…. I can understand that all the M11 electronics upgrades come as a package (new architecture, chipset, sensor, software). I don’t need that. 
if Leica can reissue the M6 why not reissue the M10-D in colour and mono versions? They are selling used for a simply insane premium for a a used piece of electronics. When I stupidly sold all my M gear in 2021 (pandemic disillusionment) I could hardly give my D away… nuts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not in the market for an M11-D but it's fun to speculate. Looking at release dates and rumored/reported discontinuation dates, I'd bet if it comes, it comes rather soon.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But that's a big if. Whether the D series makes sense economically for Leica is hard to tell 🤷‍♂️ It seems much more 'niche' to me than any other M, including the analog ones...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You've missed the OG D camera, the Edition 60, in 2014.  The 60 stands for the 60th anniversary of the M3.  The limited edition (600 cameras with the steelilux, matching numbers) were all signed by Dr Kaufman, celebrating the miraculous turnaround of Leica he had achieved.  The 70th anniversary is coming is next year...

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb setuporg:

You've missed the OG D camera, the Edition 60, in 2014.  The 60 stands for the 60th anniversary of the M3.  The limited edition (600 cameras with the steelilux, matching numbers) were all signed by Dr Kaufman, celebrating the miraculous turnaround of Leica he had achieved.  The 70th anniversary is coming is next year...

this sounds like a good omen, a prophecy - let's hope for early 2024 !

i saw that camera, that original M-D (Edition 60), in NY i think, a design masterpiece behind glass at some huge photo camera fair - i immediately fell for it but couldn't afford it of course...

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

i saw that camera, that original M-D (Edition 60), in NY i think, a design masterpiece behind glass at some huge photo camera fair - i immediately fell for it but couldn't afford it of course...

The Edition 60 was what drew me back to Leica in 2014.  I could not afford it then either but then got a pristine one in 2018.  Put thousands of shots on it, got a custom Luigi full case, have a special strap, etc. -- it's also the only lugless Leica.  Excellent photos and the best experience.  No frame lines.  No C, no nothing.  Refreshing.  We don't need wifi for a D EVF, that's cheating.  In a similar spirit, the low-res M9 LCD makes it almost screenless too.:)

• Like 2