M11 in Black or Silver?

brettgoulder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Haha yes but people tend to smile when they see a supposedly old camera. Now i don't tell them it's a Fuji since silver Fujis are not that usual, at least i guess so. When they ask what camera it is, i answer generally "Oh that's just an old thing" and they believe me i'm afraid, shame on me :D.

Edited by lct

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the silver M11 for three reasons.  (1) Every other camera I own is black--I like something different and like the classic look. (2) I had both a black and a silver M10 and liked shooting the silver one better because it attracted attention and served to break the ice in photographing strangers--I tend to be shy about photographing someone I don't know. I like the black M10 when going out at night, but that was less time. (3) I like the heft of the added weight of the brass top since it seems to me to help stabilize longer handheld exposures, but that may be just my imagination. There is no store where I live where I can try black and silver M11's so I stuck with what I know. 

The final answer though is if you have trouble deciding, then it really doesn't matter. Clear differences make for easy choices.  

• Like 1

All my lenses (except one) and cameras of different systems are black. But it's not the first reason why I would buy a black M11. Mostly would be for weight. Wow, 100gr less than my M10? It really makes the difference.

12 minutes ago, KenJ said:

and liked shooting the silver one better because it attracted attention and served to break the ice in photographing strangers--

Just to avoid these kind of situations, I bought a black M :lol:

Edited by Dennis
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 12:32 PM, opera207 said:

Yes he said it dropped on the asphalt. I’m not saying the finish easy to wear,  but it looks ugly after the aluminum shows.

On my leica Q1 some scratches happened and under the black finish silver signs of aluminium started to appear.. and that was ugly..

• Like 1

Based on my own recent anecdotal evidence, I have to agree that silver gets noticed. While traveling in July alone, numerous strangers noticed it over my shoulder and asked if it was vintage, or told me they used to have one that looked a lot like it. I wasn't trying to pick something that would attract attention, rather I chose silver simply because I like it. If it starts a little conversation, I'm fine with that, being kind of shy and maybe less likely to initiate than I'd like to be. Also, I'm tall, so being "invisible" isn't one of my greatest assets anyway. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are on the fence between black and silver, get the silver…because it is black and silver.

Silver reminds me of the M3 which was always the camera I wanted. Black is stealthy and with a really small lens like the 28mm f5.6, it is appreciably lighter than say the Silver with a 35 Lux. 

• 4 months later...

Get silver and cover it with black gaffer tape if you want to hide it. 

I did that to the Canon AE1 Program my father gave me when I was 15. When I eventually sold it (having only ever used the 50mm it came with) 8 years later, I peeled the tape off and it was like new underneath. 

Keep it simple: odd numbers M7, 9, 11,... are silver, even are black M6,8,10 😉

More seriously, the difference in weight is a new interesting decision criteria. Silver is more "nostalgic" for me.

After "playing" with a black one I decided to buy a silver M11 which fits perfectly with the new old 1.4/35mm Steel Rim.

51 minutes ago, Musky said:

I don’t like silver cameras but in this case, the silver M11 is the one to get. 

I couldn’t stomach having an aluminum $9,000 Leica M. It doesn’t get any less of a Leica M than an aluminum Leica M11 with that ugly bottom, a permanent dent for the all important battery info sticker, and an exposed USB-C port.

If you go for an M11, At least get it in brass!

but, you know. Horses for courses, YMMV, and IMO. 

If aluminium is such a deal breaker for you then the silver M11 should also be a deal breaker as the bottom plate isn't brass... neither is the material covering the underside of the battery. With the silver M11, which incidentally was the model I first ordered, it seemed that all three surfaces (top plate, bottom plate, and battery cover) all had slightly different textures and colour. This bothered me quite a bit. I couldn't unsee it. 

I'm glad it was faulty and it was swapped out for a black one...

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Keep it simple: odd numbers M7, 9, 11,... are silver, even are black M6,8,10 😉

More seriously, the difference in weight is a new interesting decision criteria. Silver is more "nostalgic" for me.

After "playing" with a black one I decided to buy a silver M11 which fits perfectly with the new old 1.4/35mm Steel Rim.

i have both the m10r black paint and the m11 silver, not so surprising but the m11 silver felt better in hand, like its just perfect lol.. i dont know if im biased but with the brass still being materials and lost weight a little, just make it pleasant.. not too light

1 hour ago, hmzimelka said:

If aluminium is such a deal breaker for you then the silver M11 should also be a deal breaker as the bottom plate isn't brass... neither is the material covering the underside of the battery. With the silver M11, which incidentally was the model I first ordered, it seemed that all three surfaces (top plate, bottom plate, and battery cover) all had slightly different textures and colour. This bothered me quite a bit. I couldn't unsee it. 

I'm glad it was faulty and it was swapped out for a black one...

the manual stated the bottom silver is made of brass too...except the battery we all know of... plastic

3 minutes ago, jakontil said:

the manual stated the bottom silver is made of brass too...except the battery we all know of... plastic

I'm certain it's aluminium. 

Happy to be proven wrong but it didn't feel like brass either... nor was the finish on mine, at least, the same on top as the bottom.

I've also seen a few marketing literature specifically stating "...the silver-chrome M11 features a classic brass top plate and weighs 640 grams."

Edited by hmzimelka

8 minutes ago, hmzimelka said:

I'm certain it's aluminium. 

Happy to be proven wrong but it didn't feel like brass either... nor was the finish on mine, at least, the same on top as the bottom.

I've also seen a few marketing literature specifically stating "...the silver-chrome M11 features a classic brass top plate and weighs 640 grams."

found in technical data 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

5 minutes ago, jakontil said:

found in technical data 

Ok, interesting. 

I'll pop a mail to Leica and get some clarity since their own marketing material mention only top plate being brass.

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/press/new-leica-m11-legend-reinvented

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/leica-m11

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-m11-initial-review

Edited by hmzimelka

1 minute ago, hmzimelka said:

Ok, interesting. 

I'll pop a mail to Leica and get some clarity since their own marketing material mention only top plate being brass.

yeah this one thing consumed my time to search for detailed specs, while marketing materials limited to top plate silver/brass with magnesium, i assumed either brass/magnesium or aluminum/magnesium combination, but not three materials at once, just curiosity and that explanation come straight from leica technical data pdf

dont tell me what leica mail tell you.. im happy with what i got now hahaha

1 minute ago, jakontil said:

yeah this one thing consumed my time to search for detailed specs, while marketing materials limited to top plate silver/brass with magnesium, i assumed either brass/magnesium or aluminum/magnesium combination, but not three materials at once, just curiosity and that explanation come straight from leica technical data pdf

dont tell me what leica mail tell you.. im happy with what i got now hahaha

ok, hehehehe 😄

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hmzimelka said:

Ok, interesting. 

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/press/new-leica-m11-legend-reinvented

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/leica-m11

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-m11-initial-review

If you get a response, you might add it to this old, unresolved, discussion…

Jeff