M11 in Black or Silver?

brettgoulder

I could not imagine how the weight difference would be notable and feel so different. If that matters to anyone, I would truly suggest the black version. No doubt there will be a limited series with black chrome, but I will stick with the current version. It's that significant, and specially if combined with Noctilux lenses. 110g seems not much but 20% does :)

I would strongly suggest trying both versions at a Leica store if in doubt!

Whatever your decision, you can't get wrong. It is a master piece. Everything has improved and has been optimised. And I am amazed at the metering. I used to be 100% manual but for many instances I can see myself shooting Aperture priory + Automatic ISO + Multi Field Metering. It's that good. 

Enjoy your purchase !

Edited by Hanno
  • Like 4

Very simple choice now with only two choices.

When M11 of other types of M11 (P-R-M ?) come in few months, it would be harder.

✌️

I'd take the silver M11 and the black as backup.

or the black M11 and the silver as backup to simplify things, just buy the two then decide which one is backup.

• Haha 5

Tried the black and silver in store today. Hated the black - and almost always get the black. I would not buy that. It was already marked in the store, it feels like sand paper and is a big miss for me. 

I was ready to buy, and decided not to. Overall, the whole thing felt underwhelming to me. The improved battery just gets us back to where we were with the M240, the dynamic range and higher iso is a slight improvement, the stupid placement of the USB - just like an apple mouse - on the bottom, and the terrible black finish. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Artin said:

Actually the black is not bad at all, and what you think are scratch marks are actually scuff marks, it does scuff easy but it wipes right off with a wipe cloth.  It seems to be a very hard tough finish that is scratch resistant.

finger nails will mark it looking like a scratch and a quick wipe with a clothe just takes it off and looks as good as new. 

Sound like a nod to collectors that want to look like they've used it but when it comes time to cash in, one wipe and voila! Mint. 😃

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Artin said:

Actually the black is not bad at all, and what you think are scratch marks are actually scuff marks, it does scuff easy but it wipes right off with a wipe cloth.  It seems to be a very hard tough finish that is scratch resistant.

finger nails will mark it looking like a scratch and a quick wipe with a clothe just takes it off and looks as good as new. 

I saw jono's pic of his black m11, not good at all, white shinny corners looks ugly.

I was hoping to get silver on the M11 but after seeing the weight difference I’m going with black.

Having shot with both M10 (660g) and MP  (600g) enough times and feeling the difference between the two.

I would rather go for the weight savings of the black M11 at 530g

Edited by dsm21
  • Like 3

I tried both today.  The black is lighter but more importantly there is a slight texture to the finish.  When I picked up a silver it began slipping out of my hand as my thumb slid easily (I usually use a thumbs up).  Interestingly the slight texture of the black --my thumb did not slip and felt much more secure.  Will have to see in all conditions but it maybe I don't need a thumbs up on the black paint which would be a game changer as the new visoflex is so incredible.  You can't use a thumbs up together with the visoflex and I would love to leave the visoflex on all the time.. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, opera207 said:

I saw jono's pic of his black m11, not good at all, white shinny corners looks ugly.

The white shiny corners on Jono’s black M11 is probably the result of tumbling on pavement, as described in his review. 

3 hours ago, ELAN said:

The white shiny corners on Jono’s black M11 is probably the result of tumbling on pavement, as described in his review. 

Yes he said it dropped on the asphalt. I’m not saying the finish easy to wear,  but it looks ugly after the aluminum shows.

Edited by opera207