M11-D?

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It may have been missed, but before his latest “retirement” from the forum, Steven posited that Leica is considering an M11-D.

With only an optical viewfinder (save wit an EVF mounted), what modifications to the M11 would be required?  Based on previous models, the M11-D would be a modification to the M11-P … 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RMF:

Would love an M11-D!  My Leica boutique added me me to their M11-D list a month ago just in case it does ever come out.

me too !  and i was told that i am number #1 on their M11-D list !!!  i had asked to be put on a waiting list already some 1½y ago !

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think it is a great idea (having and using an M10-D).  I'd love to have the better sensor of the M11 in my -D.  I'll have to take a moment to think about what upgrades or stuff to leave out would make sense this time around.  M10-D's are probably trading (when available) at above their initial price, so there is a market.

• Like 1

Testament to the M10-D (my only digital M) that I'd have to think very seriously to 'upgrade'.  

I think the 10 sensor really suits the style of photography the screen less M is most suited to , being a little more punchy and rich (filmic?) than the higher MP sensors which seem flatter to me.  Yes I know they can be edited but 24MP 10 just works very well for street shooting.  One click shutter 'sound' and also a joy getting the 24MP files over to the computer. All very low maintenance which suits the ethos of the camera model I think . Works perfectly for what I need it for although like any 10 variant blown highlights can be frustrating. 

So how does this all translate to the original question - well maybe a smaller 'S' sensor (upgraded from the 10 though), classic M metering.   If 11 sensor, metering and shutter I don't think I'd upgrade but never say never.

Some don't like the 'frills' of the 10-D versus the MD-262 but I really like them - tethering to fotos app "if" required is now completely seamless and it can be handy eg a quick review of shots sitting in a cafe after a photo walk .  Nice to have if needed, albeit rarely.  

Love my 10-D ! 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

i had asked to be put on a waiting list already some 1½y ago !

Me too although the M11 journey so far has made me less excited should one come along .   

And over the same time my liking of the 10-D just gets stronger .  So GAS aside it would be a difficult decision 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Testament to the M10-D (my only digital M) that I'd have to think very seriously to 'upgrade'.  

I think the 10 sensor really suits the style of photography the screen less M is most suited to , being a little more punchy and rich (filmic?) than the higher MP sensors which seem flatter to me.  Yes I know they can be edited but 24MP 10 just works very well for street shooting.  One click shutter 'sound' and also a joy getting the 24MP files over to the computer. All very low maintenance which suits the ethos of the camera model I think . Works perfectly for what I need it for although like any 10 variant blown highlights can be frustrating. 

So how does this all translate to the original question - well maybe a smaller 'S' sensor (upgraded from the 10 though), classic M metering.   If 11 sensor, metering and shutter I don't think I'd upgrade but never say never.

Some don't like the 'frills' of the 10-D versus the MD-262 but I really like them - tethering to fotos app "if" required is now completely seamless and it can be handy eg a quick review of shots sitting in a cafe after a photo walk .  Nice to have if needed, albeit rarely.  

Love my 10-D ! 

I agree with all of this. 

Having always been a person who loves larger resolution, the M10 just makes sense in every single way colour ways for me. Going larger with the M11 has felt like a downgrade in that regard for me.

• Like 3

I had an M10-D a couple of years ago. I now have an M10-P. 
if it’s your only digital csmear it is a bit restricting. Sometimes you want the rear LCD. Tripod use, digital negative/slide copying, checking critical shots. Whilst I loved the M10-D it was a pain when I wanted the LCD. 
if I were to get a 2nd digital body it would likely be an M10-M (now a Monochrom 10-D would be perfect…) lol.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, newtoleica said:

I had an M10-D a couple of years ago. I now have an M10-P. 
if it’s your only digital csmear it is a bit restricting. Sometimes you want the rear LCD. Tripod use, digital negative/slide copying, checking critical shots. Whilst I loved the M10-D it was a pain when I wanted the LCD. 
if I were to get a 2nd digital body it would likely be an M10-M (now a Monochrom 10-D would be perfect…) lol.

With the M10D and especially the alleged M11-D, you can always add the EVF for that purpose and presumably she comes with the built in cock shutter type release thumbs grip, it will be amazing experience without disturbing the hotshoe when needed

• Like 1

Am 30.9.2023 um 19:30 schrieb gotium:

Hate to admit it, but this would get me interested again. 

And what happened to Steven this time?

Am 1.10.2023 um 01:31 schrieb evikne:

I think he fell into the temptation to tell a little too much about the launch of the M11-P. Maybe something else too, I don't know. 😉

what do people think here ?  how serious can we take this story about a next D camera, a future M11-D ?  or an M12-D perhaps ?

1 hour ago, fenykepesz said:

what do people think here ?  how serious can we take this story about a next D camera, a future M11-D ?  or an M12-D perhaps ?

Well if it came from Steven it was real. Presumably that's why he keeps disappearing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 28 Minuten schrieb gotium:

Well if it came from Steven it was real. Presumably that's why he keeps disappearing. 

does Steven in France have a hot wire to Wetzlar ?  einen speziellen Draht ?  why disappearing ?  i mean this news sounds phantastic, for my taste at least.  my current M10-D is not bad - but it could be better, its sensor, right ?  meanwhile, as said, here i am, sitting (im)patiently on an M1?-D waiting list...

13 minutes ago, fenykepesz said:

does Steven in France have a hot wire to Wetzlar ?  einen speziellen Draht ?  why disappearing ?  i mean this news sounds phantastic, for my taste at least.  my current M10-D is not bad - but it could be better, its sensor, right ?  meanwhile, as said, here i am, sitting (im)patiently on an M1?-D waiting list...

Well I don't know, I just know that he's very enthusiastic, consistently right about things and keeps disappearing. 

(he's also a damn good photographer, BTW)

Edited by gotium
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is question for all M10-D owners:

Will you sell (or trade-in) your M10-D to get a M11-D? or buy one as a second body and keep the M10-D? or skip it completely because of some feature you don't like (shutter, sensor, etc)?

Personally I am excited there is a chance that the M11-D will happen and I regret not getting a new M10-D back when they were still available. 

Edited by Crem
  • Like 2