M11 in Black or Silver?

brettgoulder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Artin said:

Don’t get me wrong I would have preferred  a black paint finish on brass as well and hopefully in a couple of years they will bring out a black paint Leica script and drain my wallet. But for now I could not resist the temptation. I have only had the Camera for a few hours and I am in love with this thing 

Take my money ! 

would love it too… i’d wait 

19 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

just buy the two then decide which one is backup.

Now this is true leadership, framing hard decision as clear cut dilemmæ!

I always had a silver one for the latest Leica.  It never worn off so there is no brassing, babied in their nice cases.

Edited by setuporg
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I suppose I should add that I'm actually considering a divorce as well. Thinking the 10-R might be more useful as a 35 APO.

I would advise waiting to purchase your M11 or M10R until after the divorce is final. 

Otherwise your wife's platoon of attorneys will leave you with either an M5r or a 17 1/2mm apo. 😳

Edited by Herr Barnack

On 1/13/2022 at 12:27 PM, brettgoulder said:

Which color are you going with for the M11? Black or Silver?

Black has the stealthy looks and lighter weight.

Silver feels more substantial and will have really nice brassing over time.

Decisions, decisions...

Black is sexy as duck.   But I get silver everything... blame my sister's silver canon ae1 program from last century.   Burned my impression.   plus it BRASS!

On 1/14/2022 at 4:55 AM, a.noctilux said:

Very simple choice now with only two choices.

When M11 of other types of M11 (P-R-M ?) come in few months, it would be harder.

✌️

I'd take the silver M11 and the black as backup.

or the black M11 and the silver as backup to simplify things, just buy the two then decide which one is backup.

the choice will be much simpler when the black paint (the shinny one) M11 arrived... LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stefanusj said:

the choice will be much simpler when the black paint (the shinny one) M11 arrived... LOL

This Black/Silver choice is so individual that the one "right" question is :

- if photographing is more important than "look", just buy the one available now

- if look or whatever (shiny, brassing, feeling, etc.) is more important than photographing, then I can not give any trick for choosing one

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, a.noctilux said:

This Black/Silver choice is so individual that the one "right" question is :

- if photographing is more important than "look", justbuy the one available

- if look or whatever (shiny, brassing, feeling, etc.) is more important than photographing, then I can not give any trick for choosing one

such a wise man... kudos!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If your wardrobe is mostly white clothes, get the black, if it’s mostly black clothes, get the silver…for the contrast :p 

Being serious for a second now though, I’ve had both finishes and I think a silver camera with a silver lens looks beautiful. That being said, the Leica red dot looks awful in silver bodies and kills the classic body vibe for me, whereas I can still kinda live with the red dot on black cameras as red/black doesn’t look as bad as red/silver, and there are black tapes out there that match the black of the body 100% if you wish to hide the dot. It’s a bit harder (ie looks uglier) to conceal the dot in silver chrome bodies.

When the M11-P comes out that’s the perfect time to go with chrome since there’s no dot to worry about :) This is the true classic color akin to the M3/2/4.

Most importantly though when it comes to the M11, getting a lighter camera that weights the same as the M6 pretty much is just too good to pass. All leicas got fatter after the M9 so it’s good to see this trend being reverted back to a lighter body. The lighter the camera the more you carry it with you, for longer periods of time, and that leads to more pictures :)

That being said, black paint is still the best as it goes well with both black paint lenses, anodized black lenses, silver lenses and even nickel lenses. It’s by far the finish that is easiest to match with any lenses you have or might buy in the future. Plus brassing looks awesome if you keep it long enough :) 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 3