The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M11 with 35 APO. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

And another with the APO 35, at ISO 64

• Like 2

M11 + APO 50 (f/2, 1/135 s, ISO 400)

• Like 3

I couldn’t get this chap to pose exactly where I wanted (in the sun but without the stone column behind him) but pose he did. Original and then 100% crop. 50mm Apo at F2 and ISO 64

Edited by tashley
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, tashley said:

Original and then 100% crop

Surely that is a typo.  A 100% crop may be the whole picture or one pixel (zero pixels?!).

Nonethless, that cropp shows quite a surprising level of detail.  Can’t wait to get my hands on an M11.  Pre-ordered but no news 😞

Edited by vikasmg
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tashley said:

I couldn’t get this chap to pose exactly where I wanted (in the sun but without the stone column behind him) but pose he did. Original and then 100% crop. 50mm Apo at F2 and ISO 64

The 50mm APO (and some other Leica M lenses) seems to have noticable axial chromatic aberration in bright light. I’m guessing that contributes a bit to comments about M11 being “soft” (as it gives everything a “glow”, and in this case a very visible green/magenta shift outside of the plane of focus). But there’s clearly plenty of both detail and sharpness in that crop!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another one with the 35 APO. 

• Like 3

M11 + 35 FLE 400ISO

• Like 1

M11 35 LUX

• Like 15

23 minutes ago, Artin said:

now look at the level of detail captured at more then 100% magnification 

now as you look at the main shot and it looks soft nothing special but as you can see this is something happening by the posts in LUF, and not the actual image we are getting.. I have a feeling that so much data is getting thrown out during the downsampling from the 60mpx files that the images are just getting ripped apart 

Did you follow the instructions in the header (Reduce the size to 2480 pixels on the longest side) before uploading?

1 hour ago, vikasmg said:

Surely that is a typo.  A 100% crop may be the whole picture or one pixel (zero pixels?!).

"100% view" means magnification where one image pixel = one viewing-screen pixel.

It's an "Adobe-ism. In Photoshop, when one zooms in to that magnificaton, Photoshop puts "100%" in the viewing-scale window.

And since Adobe (for all practical purposes) founded and has led the "digital imaging industry" for 30+ years - they got to write the "dictionary," starting decades ago.

"100% crop" simply clarifies that this is not a different photo made with a longer lens - but a small cropped area of the same photo, at 100% view (image pixels = screen pixels).

Anyway, since this is supposed to be an image thread, with comments related only to the images:

I do note a "magenta/purple tendency" among these M11 images thus far.

Sampled color from a shadow in the white neck-feathers of tashley's bird (not to single that picture out - just one convenient example)

But that could be taste, monitor calibrations, the "default embedded profile," the new IR and UV filtering layer on the sensor, sticking to SOOC pictures to reveal the "true nature" of the M11 sensor - or many other things.

It may contribute to the idea that the M11 image flow has been "tuned" to look more M9-ish - which had a distinct magenta tendency straight from the camera.

Personally, "magenta" in pictures has been a bête noire for me for decades. Magenta Contax lenses, magenta Nikkor lenses, magenta Velvia 50 highlights. Bahhh-phooey!

One of the main reasons I switched to Leica and the more greenish-yellow Mandler/Canadian lenses 21 years ago.

But it is not hard to fix with a good Colorchecker profile and white-balancing, or other post-processing (I got the M9 to behave for 7+ years ;) ). So I won't count it against the M11.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orcinus said:

The 50mm APO (and some other Leica M lenses) seems to have noticable axial chromatic aberration in bright light. I’m guessing that contributes a bit to comments about M11 being “soft” (as it gives everything a “glow”, and in this case a very visible green/magenta shift outside of the plane of focus). But there’s clearly plenty of both detail and sharpness in that crop!

Here’s a link to the RAW original - the version you see above had some processing including vignetting added in amongst other things. For reference, my preferred sharpening in LR is 60/0.7/70/20 as a starting point with NR to taste if and where needed.  Let me know what you think.

Link to RAW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 33 Minuten schrieb adan:

I do note a "magenta/purple tendency" among these M11 images thus far.

Personally, "magenta" in pictures has been a bête noire for me for decades. Magenta Contax lenses, magenta Nikkor lenses, magenta Velvia 50 highlights. Bahhh-phooey!

One of the main reasons I switched to Leica and the more greenish-yellow Mandler/Canadian lenses 21 years ago.

But it is not hard to fix with a good Colorchecker profile and white-balancing, or other post-processing (I got the M9 to behave for 7+ years ;) ). So I won't count it against the M11.

It seems to be due to AWB in daylight. See DNG file above.

• Like 1

vor 37 Minuten schrieb tashley:

Here’s a link to the RAW original - the version you see above had some processing including vignetting added in amongst other things. For reference, my preferred sharpening in LR is 60/0.7/70/20 as a starting point with NR to taste if and where needed.  Let me know what you think.

Link to RAW

In LR it can be fixed. See screenshot below. Also, the picture is slightly overexposed and the details can't be recovered with the highlights slider alone without changing the overall look of the picture. One could use the exposure slider and pull it back to -.60. Then the feather details on the bird's neck become apparent. But, unfortunately, the picture then looks too dark. You shot it with EV of 0. I would put this camera at EV -2/3, at least.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

• Like 5

I'm seeing a magenta cast to the images as well, esp @Artin and  @tashley but all to a varying degree. I'm on a color calibrated NEC Spectraview monitor, D60 at 90 Nit. 

The rumor was back to the M9, not back to the M8! ;) Probably just profiling needed, or an AWB update. 

Edited by charlesphoto99

10 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I'm seeing a magenta cast to the images as well, esp @Artin and  @tashley but all to a varying degree. I'm on a color calibrated NEC Spectraview monitor, D60 at 90 Nit. 

The rumor was back to the M9, not back to the M8! ;) Probably just profiling needed, or an AWB update. 

I see it too there, but not on my M11 images. I assume there is an issue with WB or post processing.

• Like 1