The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

2 hours ago, tashley said:

Here’s a link to the RAW original - the version you see above had some processing including vignetting added in amongst other things. For reference, my preferred sharpening in LR is 60/0.7/70/20 as a starting point with NR to taste if and where needed.  Let me know what you think.

Link to RAW

Thanks Tim for providing the raw file, very enlightening and instructive!

LR reports a WB setting of (4950,+14) as shot with the default 'profile M11'. Setting WB to auto changes this to (4900,+1), resulting in a much more natural picture.

(With the Adobe color profile, as shot is (4800,+16), the auto setting changes this to (4900,+1), again much better colour balance)

It would be interesting to know what WB value is reported by LR (with profile M11) when the in-camera WB is set to daylight.

Winter light with M11, M APO 50.  Clouds blew away for just a few minutes, today on my first day with M11.

• Like 6

Indoors.  AWB

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, adan said:

"100% view" means magnification where one image pixel = one viewing-screen pixel.

It's an "Adobe-ism. In Photoshop, when one zooms in to that magnificaton, Photoshop puts "100%" in the viewing-scale window.

And since Adobe (for all practical purposes) founded and has led the "digital imaging industry" for 30+ years - they got to write the "dictionary," starting decades ago.

"100% crop" simply clarifies that this is not a different photo made with a longer lens - but a small cropped area of the same photo, at 100% view (image pixels = screen pixels).

Anyway, since this is supposed to be an image thread, with comments related only to the images:

I do note a "magenta/purple tendency" among these M11 images thus far.

Sampled color from a shadow in the white neck-feathers of tashley's bird (not to single that picture out - just one convenient example)

But that could be taste, monitor calibrations, the "default embedded profile," the new IR and UV filtering layer on the sensor, sticking to SOOC pictures to reveal the "true nature" of the M11 sensor - or many other things.

It may contribute to the idea that the M11 image flow has been "tuned" to look more M9-ish - which had a distinct magenta tendency straight from the camera.

Personally, "magenta" in pictures has been a bête noire for me for decades. Magenta Contax lenses, magenta Nikkor lenses, magenta Velvia 50 highlights. Bahhh-phooey!

One of the main reasons I switched to Leica and the more greenish-yellow Mandler/Canadian lenses 21 years ago.

But it is not hard to fix with a good Colorchecker profile and white-balancing, or other post-processing (I got the M9 to behave for 7+ years ;) ). So I won't count it against the M11.

A couple of things to consider;

Firstly, imho, colour checker profiles are almost always a recipe for playing ‘whack-a-mole- with the overall colour rendition. YYMV.

Secondly; you might be personally very sensitive to magenta. I don’t believe there’s such a thing as ‘normal’ colour vision: I think we all perceive colours slightly differently and indeed research indicates that even colour visions previously regarded as aberrant are able to confer some genetic advantages. In other words, the tribe needs a variety of different kind of colour vision and assuming that the LUF is kind of tribe, that’s what we should expect to find here. My pet hate is too much cyan in a sky but it rarely seems to bother other people…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's another long lighting scale example:

even though the default mult-zone exposure protects highlights by around a stop more than would have been the case with metering off the shutter cover, this and some of my earlier shots required pulling exposure down by almost a stop.  It can do this without leaving blank highlight areas.  All this group of shots were taken at ISO 64.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

In LR it can be fixed. See screenshot below. Also, the picture is slightly overexposed and the details can't be recovered with the highlights slider alone without changing the overall look of the picture. One could use the exposure slider and pull it back to -.60. Then the feather details on the bird's neck become apparent. But, unfortunately, the picture then looks too dark. You shot it with EV of 0. I would put this camera at EV -2/3, at least.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oddly enough I have been consistently shooting with exactly -2/3rds dialled in but in fact the new metering system seemed to me to be consistently protecting the highlights and so I set it back to zero. I am largely an ‘expose to the right’ guy and though that is difficult on the M11 because the histogram isn’t RGB, this particular shot doesn’t seem to me to have any blown channels at all. Having said that, my processing these past three days has all been on LR for iPad and it may be that the histogram in that is not accurate. However, it is not showing my any blown highlights at all. Recovering details in the neck feathers takes a few moments of brushing on a gentle mask and moving a slider. The data is all there.

Edited by tashley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I have not observed it in my images... Is it possible that it is related to lens used? Or on specific light situations?

I’m pretty sure it’s not the lens! This is much more down to the fact that I am using an uncalibrated iPad screen to do my LR work because I’m away from base. When I get home and the images are magically clouded to my main machine, Ill worry about colour - I actually initially posted this shot in order that people might get a sense of the very high levels of detail available in quite a tight crop. That’s why I was pleased to share the RAW files so people could look into the aspects of it that interested them most.

This being the ‘heir of M8’ I suppose it is inevitable that people are looking out for magenta 😇

Edited by tashley
  • Like 1

WATE

• Like 13

28MM 'lux

• Like 3

WATE

• Like 19

50mm 'lux

• Like 11