The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, mon10a said:

Amazing. I can almost read the sign in the lower left.

The posted image has been downsized. This is a screen grab from 100% view in LrC. Note that I was using a "flimsy" Peak Design tripod :).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Tea shop.  These:

aren't full of teas any more.  During the pandemic they shifted over to all remote distribution.  It's all in bags now:

Scott, how do you like the M11? Any thoughts compared to your prior SL2 and SL2-S or M10?

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Łëïčä:

Browsing through all the photos here I can’t help but think the photos from the M10/M10R are just as good. 🤷🏻‍♂️

edit the same and you can’t tell the difference. 

Many images taken with M9, M8 or FILM (!!!) are even „better“. 

M1 is not a question of technical image qualitiy first, but a question of handling. Menu, battery, USB, shutter, long exposure etc. 

• Like 2

Exporting to Lightroom I notice that files seem to be handled a bit weirdly still..like for example, above ISO 1600 there’s way too much color noise..but when you zoom in it disappears (it’s weird lol..hope Lightroom updates its support to the M11 fast). I set the AUTO ISO to ~1600 to combat that weirdness for now.

That being said…at lower ISOs I’m loving what I’m getting from this camera with vintage lenses. Here’s a shot with the Summicron 35mm v2 shot wide open against the sun. 

• Like 5

Reading the fine print.  IIn the original of this shot (ISO 3200 1/100 f/8, the labels on the near section of the tea racks are clearly readable.  I uploaded a 100% jpeg to Flickr but it's not quite as clear:~

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HansiMustermann said:

I have tried some small (18 MP) jpg, black and white out of the cam (high contrast) - only test, not much creativity. You can klick on it and download the full image via flickr.

Gorgeous B+W straight-out-of-the-camera. That's the look I can't wait to get with the M11.

M11 x 75mm 1.25 Noctilux shot at 1,25 1/125 Iso 250

As shoot, original and 100% crop 

• Like 3

See below.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, Tailwagger said:

WATE

I have followed your posts for several years, and you, as much or more than anyone else I know, have proved that it is not so much the camera but the photographer that consistently turns out outstanding images.  I am happy to see that the M11 with all its purported flaws did not degrade your image-making abilities.

Edited by relms

On 1/20/2022 at 7:10 PM, tashley said:

Here’s a link to the RAW original - the version you see above had some processing including vignetting added in amongst other things. For reference, my preferred sharpening in LR is 60/0.7/70/20 as a starting point with NR to taste if and where needed.  Let me know what you think.

Link to RAW

There is indeed some magenta cast, which i don't find unpleasant.
I've been adding magenta tint to most Nikon images for years anyways.

The magenta in the feathers in the foreground, however, is definitely not a cast  - it's the lens' axial chromatic aberation.
You can find it's green counterpart in the background, on the pillar, as well as in the feathers on the back of the heron.
This is not M11's fault, it's the lens, and is fairly common on compact, older optical designs.

Edited by orcinus
  • Like 1

Detail and resolving power is superb, IMO.
If you bring down the sharpening all the way to 0, you'll still see moire on the feathers :)

This is whith NO sharpening whatsoever:

Edited by orcinus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, orcinus said:

This is whith NO sharpening whatsoever:

And this is with just unsharp masking applied, meaning no AI trickery, no weird algorithms, just bringing out the detail that is already there:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50mm APO-Summicron-M.  Cropped from the L-DNG to about 34mp.  Having had a chance to take a few pix in daylight, I am impressed by the files.

5 hours ago, wdahab said:

Gorgeous B+W straight-out-of-the-camera. That's the look I can't wait to get with the M11.

Would be a shame to waste all that DNG data, providing more flexibility, and not preserve it for future rendering choices or based on software improvements. It’s simple to create default import settings and/or presets to suit your tastes and provide a more desirable starting point for your processing.  For me, different pics also demand different renderings, and often subtle tweaks. The ‘look’ is up to me, with the goal to create nice prints, not to settle for JPGS and screen shots. YMMV.

Jeff

• Like 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

Would be a shame to waste all that DNG data, providing more flexibility, and not preserve it for future rendering choices or based on software improvements. It’s simple to create default import settings and/or presets to suit your tastes and provide a more desirable starting point for your processing.  For me, different pics also demand different renderings, and often subtle tweaks. The ‘look’ is up to me, with the goal to create nice prints, not to settle for JPGS and screen shots. YMMV.

Jeff

I never use jpg out of cam, but I think, people are interested in.

2 hours ago, relms said:

I have followed your posts for several years, and you, as much or more than anyone else I know, have proved that it is not so much the camera but the photographer that consistently turns out outstanding images.  I am happy to see that the M11 with all its purported flaws did not degrade your image-making abilities.

Thank you so much for the embarrassingly kind words, but I feel the need to remark that there are any number of very gifted folks here whose work I envy and aspire to. I'm sure there's far better stuff yet to come.

The M just seems to be one of those rare instruments that just gets out of your way and allows you to realize a scene as you imagine it.  Screw up, it always on you, but get it right and you're almost never disappointed.  The 11 is the king of the digital M series in this regard. With ISO 64, e-shutter, the new metering which is nearly telepathic, the DR and the color fidelity that one can pull from shadow, etc, it's frankly more transparent in the field than ever.  I think far too much attention is paid to analyzing the individual features rather than to how all they all tally up and compliment each other.  All the M11 improvements have elevated the shooting experience in ways that I'm not sure I can adequately describe. You just have to shoot with it and see. 

I will say, however, that I am genuinely perplexed at some of the reaction to this camera, though to be fair I expect that most of it is from folks that haven't shot seriously with it yet and are looking at the admittedly steep price of entry with an understandable amount of suspicion. Early days, I'm still a long way from any true understanding of what an M11 can do, but AFAIC it's already proved itself a marvelous companion.  I'm glad that my initial stuff hasn't given you, and hopefully others, any reason to think otherwise.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Not a great pic, I did not get the expression right, but I like the echoing of pink tones all around.

• Like 6

Iso 3200 with mixed  color lights from different directions and plenty of colors in the scene

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 1