The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28mm 'lux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

75mm 'lux

• Like 6

75mm 'lux

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

75mm 'lux

• Like 6

50mm 'lux

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Tailwagger said:

Thanks man, right back at you and yours. All at 18Mpx, btw, as I screwed up and failed to change back to L-DNG prior to shooting.  Personally, I'm over the moon around the range of color tonality and expression. 

Some great images. Thanks for posting. You’ve almost motivated me to go out in the cold with my M11 but I think I’ll wait until spring. 😂

15 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

Some great images. Thanks for posting. You’ve almost motivated me to go out in the cold with my M11 but I think I’ll wait until spring. 😂

Well, someones got to get out there and try to convince the spec wonks that theres more to life than start up times. With that work done, I'll probably hibernate for a while myself. 😉 Thx and all the best!

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Artin said:

As I am sitting on the couch this evening it’s   -27 degrees outside in Toronto one of the coldest nights in the past 5 years. Spring sounds so good 

Sorry dude, we've already established this past week that you are our man for all missions conducted below the freezing point.  Now get back out there! 😃

10 hours ago, tashley said:

Here’s a link to the RAW original - the version you see above had some processing including vignetting added in amongst other things. For reference, my preferred sharpening in LR is 60/0.7/70/20 as a starting point with NR to taste if and where needed.  Let me know what you think.

Link to RAW

Hi Tim, thanks for providing the DNG.

I processed it in Lightroom 6 standalone and it loaded fine and only had the Leica M11 profile option available. I had no problems with the highlights. Even with zero exposure adjustment in LR nothing was blown out, though the feathers on the head and 'chin' area were in the high 90s and therefore close to appearing clipped. My experience is once white values are in the 90s, it's difficult to discern tonal separation by eye, even though it exists in the image. In such cases I rely on the numbers and clipping warnings for actual areas that are blown out. 

As others mentioned, the as-shot WB had a magenta tint. I tried LR's auto WB suggestion and was pretty happy. I ended up with it at 4700K +4 tint. But I still felt there was some magenta tinge. In the HSL panels, I set purple hue to -60 and blue saturation to -20. In the camera calibration panel I set red primary hue to +8 and green primary hue to -3. My experience with the M240 has been that in very neutral images, such as a snowy scene in overcast light, there is often a magenta tinge to blue tones. By adjusting the purple hue value to the negative side, it brings the magenta tinge back to blue as I think it should be. Based on this file, the M11 embedded profile might be slightly similar in behavior. The camera calibration adjustments were to correct for what I felt were areas of the bare tree branches in the background shifting too red rather than brown, which the adjustment brought back into line with what I thought it should look like. Again this reminds me somewhat of the M240 in that often red tones, particularly in skin tones, would be too red and require similar adjustment.

When I adjusted the tonality of the bird to suit my preferences, it resulted in a very dark background. This might just be the nature of the 50 APO wide open at this subject distance, combined with the darker foliage/vegetation in the background. In a second version I masked the background, increased exposure and opened the shadows somewhat to reduce the overall heaviness of the first version (my preference is the darker version).

I hope it's acceptable that I've posted my two versions of Tim's image below as well as a "100%" crop of the bird's head. Sharpening was 40/0.7/40/10, my LR default, though I found it still looked good at much higher sharpening settings. Luminance NR was zero and chroma was at the default 25. Both versions as well as crop were output at 2480 pixels long in LR with sharpening for screen: low, applied. The crop also has some defringe correction applied to kill the purple halo around the specular reflection of the sun in the bird's eye, and reduce the green fringing on the stone pillar in the background.

I'm impressed by how low the noise is at ISO 64 and how much sharpening the image will tolerate. It does make me wonder if there's some luminance NR baked in...

Edited by rscheffler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:04 PM, Artin said:

here is a Mandler 35 pre asph

This appears to be Hamilton's steel mills viewed from across the harbour. If so, I was at the west end, out on the ice of Cootes Paradise Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Amazing conditions for skating and iceboating. Also excellent sunsets each day! 

I'm enjoying your work with the M11, particularly the portraits of your grandchildren with Mandler-era lenses, as well as the 50 Lux.

4 minutes ago, Artin said:

WELL  I GUESS THAT WILL PUT THE BLURRY IMAGE DEBATE TO BED 

just look at the amount of feather detail on the head, that is crazy 

Yeah, be sure to click through to the 2480 pixel wide original. The detail is great, to the point where you can tell the point of focus is actually on the bird's shoulder. :) 

I applied some moire reduction to the feathers out of necessity.

Here's another version with Tim's default sharpening:

11 hours ago, tashley said:

Here’s a link to the RAW original - the version you see above had some processing including vignetting added in amongst other things. For reference, my preferred sharpening in LR is 60/0.7/70/20 as a starting point with NR to taste if and where needed.  Let me know what you think.

Link to RAW

I find the Capture one profiles better for the M11

• Like 4

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Artin:

35mm FLE difficult lighting meter did a Wonderfull job 

Strange colors. 😳

EDIT: The topic has obviously already been addressed

Edited by HansiMustermann

First shots with the M11 & Lux pre-asph 35mm 

• Like 15

A few more, same setup! 

• Like 11