Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

And clearly, there a lot of photographers that can be the sort of paragon that he is made out to be on photo forums. He is mentioned so often because people either don't have enough knowledge of great photographers, or little imagination.

Agreed.

Just now, ianman said:

There’s a Kertész expo on here (Belgium) at the moment. I’m probably going this weekend :)

Lucky you! I’m aware, as I subscribe to a print collector’s publication that lists exhibits worldwide. Don’t travel like I used to, but have seen several exhibits of his work. As a collector of vintage silver prints, I’ve also had the pleasure of seeing some fantastic prints (from him and many other favorites) through private showings by museum curators, dealers and galleries.  Some museums have vast collections, only a fraction of which ever get displayed. I also collect photo books, and have first editions of most of his Kertesz’ best works. 

Hope it’s lots of fun.

Jeff

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SrMi said:

I am confident that Leica would not survive if they did not regularly launch new cameras and lenses. So, if you are annoyed by "consumerism," be happy for more money going into Leica's coffers.

Here's an idea:  For those who are annoyed by "consumerism," rather than buying a new black paint M10R - just send Leica a check for $9300 USD instead.  Leica survives and "consumerism" is reduced.  It's a win-win! 😁

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It is not his quote. It goes as far as Pliny, Democritus and Terentius. But each had its own connotation.

His quote is "Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparés."

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Artin said:

All I said was clearly that Leica M cameras have never been about speed , never been about easy to use, and never been about versatility.

I actually find the Leica Ms to be fast in use. Shooting manual with a 'standard' pre-set aperture, shutter speed and focus, they are easy to know very well and adjustment can become almost instinctive. I would also say they are very easy to use indeed when used within their capabilities. Its all about simplicity and familiarity, something which I suspect HCB knew .....

29 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Not everyone has to like HCB. But anyone who doesn't like his work, or feels it is overrated, would do well to look at his first book, The Decisive Moment.

..... and it shows (I have an orignial copy) because he concentrates entirely on subject, lighting and composition (and yes, I know he was known for less than perfect exposures, but his images can cope with that). I think that he took some extraordinary images and have been fortunate enough to see some of the original prints.

• Like 4

As the person who mentioned Cartier-Bresson first, I should perhaps apologise😁 - but I won't. My defence is that I was responding to the suggestion that the M is best suited to slow photography. I broke one of my Internet rules, which is to stick to citing my own experience and choices, and not base an argument on the experience or practice of others. So all I would say is that I personally have never had a problem working fast with a M, film or digital. The M has limitations, but speed is not one of them. 

Edit. I see that Paul K has just posted something along the same lines. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Artin said:

As much as I love the system and the experience of film and digital M . Speed is not its strength ,  I t won’t be my first choice at a hockey game , or F1 races or NBA, Never shot a wedding but again would not be my first choice.track and field. Nope .  

I've shot track and field - pole vaulting, running, jumping - both far and near - and did not run into any great difficulties.  As for F1 races, I haven shot any of those, but I've shot off-road racing events, including jumping, near and far with no troubles.  And weddings, though with the weddings they were all candids, mostly firing from the hip as it were, attempting to capture unguarded moments of emotion and feeling.  I have never needed or depended upon predictive focus when using a Leica M (since it doesn't have it) and never found that predictive focus made any noticeable difference when I used cameras that had it for action shots as I typically rely upon a depth of field large enough to make it of little added value.  But then again, I have found a spray and pray approach to be distracting and even with action shots, I will, for the most part, typically take only a single exposure at what I deem to be the "moment".  Still, I can see the advantages of spray and pray with predictive focus of action shots, especially rapidly-evolving events where one typically points and shoots.  But, then again I've done plenty of pointing and shooting under such pressure using a Leica M, after first having set the appropriate settings of course.  I would much rather have to parse 100 carefully picked shots than 1000 spray and pray shots, within each group each typically just slightly different often making selection maddeningly time-consuming at times.

• Like 1

Guest BlackBarn
12 hours ago, Artin said:

You want to slow down , focus , frame , select your aperture shutter speed and walk around with just a few pounds of gear all day long and not come home with a backache.. hey welcome to the M 

If you think the M is the way to slow down, focus and frame…..suggest try going out with a pencil, paper, rubber and maybe a stick of charcoal.  The M is a gadget full of bells and whistles by comparison. Bells and whistles simply offer another unique way of engaging visually with the world, regardless wether it’s  a Leica,  Sony or Fuji.  

My choice is the M and I love the way each of my models carry their own character, limitations, imperfections and sense of place and time. I have no need for more characters in my tool kit  but I’m fairly certain the M11 will bring its own unique character, ability and flaws to the M family along with the  joy, pleasure and some frustration to its new owners.