Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Black-Chrome Limited Edition), why the stock NEVER ENDS?

Lins-Barroso

But then you'll need to split double profit in 2  :)

Actually, I meant more like double profit for each, meaning four times the profit overall, if past collectors' furore over sequential Leica items at auction is any guide.

But what do I know?   :D

• Like 1

I bought one of these back in March 2015. It matches my black chrome M4/5/Mono mk1 cameras perfectly. Lovely lens.

But I did end up wondering why it remained on the Leica AG site for more than three years. Surely it wouldn't take that long to sell 500?

• Like 1

Just watched, yesterday, Overgaard's video about this lens – where he cuffs the lens hood off and sends it flying across the room. (Did this not mark the lens front itself?) En passant he wonders why he didn't settle for the less heavy, non-brass black Summilux, and rather off-handedly suggests he'll only keep the chrome as he already has it. I see one or two UK dealers now suggest new stocks are imminent, but I think my interest is fading given its size with lens hood fitted and that weight on an M.

Edited by microview

Since the lens does not come with any sort of paperwork authenticating a limited edition (nor do serial numbers reveal anything), I asked my Leica dealer a question when I bought one of these a about two years ago.

How do I know, I asked, that there will only be 500 of these made?

His reply: "Because Leica told you so."

This reminded me of an old saying in the southern U.S.:

How do you know who your daddy is? Because your mama told you so.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I was told begrenzte Produktion are growing from trees.  I use tube-amplifier and those NOS German signal tubes are still coming after the factory is out of business for 40 years.  :lol:

Edited by jaeger
  • Like 1

Are these in fact nuvistors, as used in UK Musical Fidelity products? A new supplier was tracked down by the company (now sold to Pro-Ject) when original stocks dried up?

Reminds me of MF nuvista 300amp, I still have it; Leica continues to have production run, as as long there is high demand of a product at a premium;

Makes sense ,as they know who the buyers are.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a summilux from the first batch ever made of the ordinary recent formula, from about 2004. It have developed a play in the barrel over the years of use. I will send it to Leica sometime to fix it, but I use it to much to send it away. It's my most loved Leica lens. The play don't effect anything when I shoot.

• Like 1

The dealer that is mostly related to Leica co. (LeicaShop of Wien) still lists the Summilux asph black chrome E43 :

- It's listed into the "special edition" area

- But nothing is written about numbers  - whilst they are declared for M10P "White" (350) and "Hodinkee" (250) - both with dedicated lenses, btw

- And the price is just a bit higher than the standard Lux Asph 50

So, my feeling is that the 500-limited run has been quietly forgotten… maybe the first 500s had some little detail that is different ? I don't know…

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't Leica give more fans a chance to acquire such wonderful lenses?
Also of my olive Safari-Summicron 2.0-50mm a second series was added after the first 500 lenses.
Why not, if they sell well and are mainly used for photography?
If any speculators got ruined their business along the way, it should be seen as a positive side effect.

11 hours ago, jakontil said:

This is rather bad. Does it bother your shooting at all? 

Does it not?  A $200 LTM lens made 60 years ago doesn't have play, so a brand new $5000 lens should have play?  Everything in my hands are sensitive when I shoot, should I not be bothered?

• Like 1

I recently acquire a pre-owned one and lens and barrel feel very solid (knocks on head).

On the other subject here:  My copy comes from a batch in June of 2016 according to the label on the box. I propose we start a registry to track what we thought Leica were marketing as Limited Edition when really they intended them as Special Addition!😁

David

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jaeger said:

Does it not?  A $200 LTM lens made 60 years ago doesn't have play, so a brand new $5000 lens should have play?  Everything in my hands are sensitive when I shoot, should I not be bothered?

What did Leica say when you told them?