Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Black-Chrome Limited Edition), why the stock NEVER ENDS?

Lins-Barroso

Well If anyone is interested and to add color to this thread, I had fun with my Summilux ASPH BC the other night at a show in Seattle.  Many of the exposures I made were low light, slower shutter, and these are a few from the club. Please visit and see others under Street Photography.  Here are two of the band- Dopapod (really fine band!)

the Drummer

Fun couple to observe outside the club

the crowd

My first real trek out with this lens, it handled beautifully!

David

Edited by DwF
  • Like 7

Adding color to this topic is a good idea. 😊

My two cents : Summilux-M 50mm ASPH BC & M10-P

Facing the sea : On the Walkway of Malo-les-bains. France.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Quite - so why say it?  Rhetorical.  To stimulate demand.  The other side is, if it isn’t a collector’s piece, why not meet demand.  

It seems sometimes some at Leica are concerned about resale values.  When I finally pointed out to Leica that unilaterally canceling my silver chrome Monochrom order was an actionable breach of contract, they relented; but only after getting me to sign an NDA saying I wouldn’t talk about it or sell it within three years (no, I’m not really over it - much as I like Leica and its products, sometimes their behaviour is less than what it should be).

• Like 3

When resale prices drop they compete more for business with new lenses, so naturally Leica will want them to stay high.

I wouldn't buy a lens (or camera) because it was collectible, but only if it appeals to be as a user. I would rather Leica did continue to produce lenses such as this to give more of us an opportunity to save up enough to buy them. I often don't buy a camera until the next model has been introduced, as that avoids impulse buying and gives time for more purchase consideration. I'll admit the styling of the black chrome version appeals to me more than the standard; I guess because I find the original Summilux to be one of the best designed mounts.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wattsy said:

Thanks for the history of the LHSA lenses (a story you've told a few times before) but it doesn't shed any light at all on the question being discussed here.

Sorry to offend. I was trying to clarify that the Black Chrome version of the lens was not an LHSA commission. One of the people in the chain was suggesting this. Not everyone is familiar with how these lenses came about, and that was what I was hoping to shed some light on. 

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, nineteenfocus said:

is the summilux 50mm 1.4 black chrome a limited edition then? it seems quite available and reasonably priced today

Either they've sold so well that Leica ignored the 500 edition limit, or they've sold so poorly, they still haven't made 500 of them yet 🤫😁

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:58 AM, adan said:

Here's a little test - Leica USA's own online store shows a picture of the black chrome, with S/N 4316136 (thus not disclosing anything secret).

Does anyone have a copy with a S/N more than 250 higher than that? Does anyone have a copy with a S/N more than 250 lower that?

Looking at the SN for the one I just bought – they are not sequential unless they've sold over 47,0000 of them, lol.

11 minutes ago, anickpick said:

There are two versions. The second came shortly after the first.

1st:- summilux 50mm 1.4 black chrome limited edition 

2nd: summilux 50mm 1.4 black chrome unlimited edition 

They made 500 and just kept on going. If there was no obvious and documented change in the serial number sets, lens engravings, or print on the boxes, the distinction is meaningless.

Or maybe you were being sarcastic 🤣

Edited by hdmesa
grammar as always

vor 6 Minuten schrieb hdmesa:

They made 500 and just kept on going. If there was no obvious and documented change in the serial number sets, lens engravings, or print on the boxes, the distinction is meaningless.

you are talking about the third version:

3rd: summilux 50mm 1.4 black chrome utterly meaningless edition 

• Haha 1