Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Black-Chrome Limited Edition), why the stock NEVER ENDS?

Lins-Barroso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could LEICA be producing much more lenses than the 500 units planned in 2015?  :angry: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Lins-Barroso
  • Haha 1

As the owner of a black chrome 35 Summicron, also one of 500 produced, I would also be a bit annoyed if the special edition were watered down.

I suppose it would make sense if it were, since the black chrome matches exactly the finish of the black Leica M-A. I think they were released at the same time. And I suppose it would be tempting for Leica to try to sell more bodies and lenses to people who want such a match.

• Like 2

It still says 500 units but they seem to just be shipping. Leica Miami says they have it in stock. They black paint version is the LHSA version I believe.

Recent LHSA version is of APO Summicron.

Could LEICA be producing much more lenses than the 500 units planned in 2015?  :angry: 

Isn't that a good thing? Meaning, if they have increased production it must be because sales are high and this in turn means a healthy company... which I guess is something we all want.

• Like 2

Isn't that a good thing? Meaning, if they have increased production it must be because sales are high and this in turn means a healthy company... which I guess is something we all want.

No. It would be a VERY BAD THING!  :angry:

Because this Special Edition was announced to the market in 2005 with a limited run of just 500 units.

It would be a cheating to many customers who buy them because of this.

The credibility of a company is its most important treasure.

No. It would be a VERY BAD THING!  :angry:

Because this Special Edition was announced to the market in 2005 with a limited run of just 500 units.

It would be a cheating to many customers who buy them because of this.

The credibility of a company is its most important treasure.

Did it say limited for all time, or was it the initial batch was limited. 

• Like 1

The initial announcement seems to have said (according to Leica Rumors):

"Leica Camera is happy to announce that two of its most popular lenses, the Leica Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH and the Leica Summilux-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH are now available in black chrome finish. Only 500 units of each lens will be manufactured."

https://leicarumors.com/2015/03/20/black-chrome-finish-versions-of-the-leica-summicron-35mm-f2-asph-and-summilux-50mm-f1-4-asph-lenses-announced.aspx/

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

I have the black chrome 35 Summicron and personally couldn't give a monkey's if Leica make some more (though I don't think they will because the Summicron has since moved onto a different design). However, Leica did trumpet the limited edition nature of these black chrome lenses and anyone buying one on the basis that only 500 were to produced is entitled to feel aggrieved if Leica do start building and selling more. It is of course possible that not all 500 of the Summilux were put into the retail pipeline (possibly some were held back pending resolution of the filter/hood fiasco) and that Leica is simply now releasing the remainder of the 500?

• Like 1

Funnily enough, if only 500 of each lens were made, the batches seem to be in non-sequential serial numbers.

My Summicron 35 is serial number 4323150.

This is Summicron 35 serial number 4239324:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Summicron-M-35mm-f-2-ASPH-Black-Chrome-6-bit-11689-Lens-Mint-only-500-Made/292599459701?hash=item4420496f75:g:Nl8AAOSwp-RaYwGA

Strange, no?

• Like 1

".....because the Summicron has since moved onto a different design"

Externally, but I thought opticaly was same design.

Apparently so but it is the external design that is relevant to the black chrome special edition. I don't think Leica will make any more 35 Summicrons ASPHs of the "older" external design in any finish. If they make a black chrome edition of the newer version it will be a different lens altogether and not the 11 689.

• Like 1