Mini M? [MERGED] AKA X-Vario

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A limited edition series by BMW's Mini design team.

Clubman-M designed to be used with both M and R lenses.

Countryman-M with built in grip and extra doors for battery and SD card.

Works-M with 1/8000 shutter speed & no firmware glitches. RRP unfortunately double that of all other models.

Paceman-M with special milling of top plate and custom powder coat colours available.

• Like 1

I have a really radical suggestion... shall we not allow ourselves to be manipulated by the teaser ads and just wait and see...?

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

But then Leica will have failed, and we surely can't allow that. Also it's fun to see how people backtrack or redefine their 'predictions' when the details are announced.

Well, now that the the D-Lux 6 and the X2 have been rebranded as the Micro M, and the Nano M. I guess everybody can post anything "M" related to these cameras in this section.

Now Mods, what are you going to do? They are all Leica M's.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by swamiji

Maybe we should have a separate forum section on phantom cameras; ones that exist only in the hopes and minds of folks here. That would include products announced but not available. And If we include beta products, that would even include initial releases, for at least 6 months.

The remaining 10% of daily posts will be a lot easier to navigate.

Jeff

• Like 2

I'll be EVIL, full-frame and not with a fixed lens.

The only sensible thing to release in addition to the current line up is EVIL, full-frame and AF-fixed lens.

Unless Leica have secretly made a new series of full frame AF lenses, but that is less likely...

It will not be a rangefinder as the target customers are not the ones who would else buy the M (240).

my 2c:

I believe that the mini-M will be the replacement of the M-E.

Leica must have discovered that CMOS is the way to go, better iso etc....

So my guess, a rangefinder like the M-E (stock is already very low at the moment), but FF and CMOS but no LV, no video, no AF.......

John

• Like 1

How would the reactions have been if this news would have been release on 1st April????

Answer: nobody would habe believed it:D:D

John

Hmmm, That sounds familiar... Like Leica sent the invitations to the announcement of the Monochrom on 1st April... Last year. :D

The only sensible thing to release in addition to the current line up is EVIL, full-frame and AF-fixed lens.

Unless Leica have secretly made a new series of full frame AF lenses, but that is less likely...

It will not be a rangefinder as the target customers are not the ones who would else buy the M (240).

The new Leica “mini – M” will be a Nex-like camera.

It will have the same FF-sensor technology as the M 240.

The camera will form the basis for a whole new line of AF lenses.

The camera is a kind of "Manhattan Project" initiated by the Black Stone guys to beat Sony in "a growing market segment."

:cool:

Could this be a sign that the M240 will have a short lifetime? Perhaps there is a significantly upgraded successor in the pipeline, and Leica is not concerned about cannibalization of M240 sales. In other words, the Mini M doesn't have to be feature-poor relative to the M240, if the M240 will soon be history.

Could this be a sign that the M240 will have a short lifetime? Perhaps there is a significantly upgraded successor in the pipeline, and Leica is not concerned about cannibalization of M240 sales. In other words, the Mini M doesn't have to be feature-poor relative to the M240, if the M240 will soon be history.

Whatever it is it has already generated more pages of conjecture in a short period of time than the m9 successor did, so it may not replace the M240, but it may be more exciting.

Steve

my 2c:

So my guess, a rangefinder like the M-E (stock is already very low at the moment), but FF and CMOS but no LV, no video, no AF.......

John

Hmmm ... doesn't sound like there would be anything "mini" about that. That's essentially an M(240) without the live view and video, or an M-E with a new sensor. To be a Mini M, something about it has to be "mini", i.e. reduced in size. The reduction could be in the sensor, the lens mount, the viewfinder, or some combination of those. A smaller sensor is most likely to produce a smaller body.

my 2c:

John

I for one would love to see that!

Mark

Whatever it is it has already generated more pages of conjecture in a short period of time than the m9 successor did, so it may not replace the M240, but it may be more exciting.

Steve

Because THIS is how you launch a camera.

1. Build the suspense and interest

2. Deliver with actual cameras for sale

We'll see if they can make step 2 happen.

Let's be honest, the launch of the Typ 240 was a debacle from day 1. I think they announced it too early, launched it too soon, and ended up alienating most of the potential customers. If you give somebody 8 months to ponder a $7,000 purchase, they usually change their mind.

• Like 3

Hmmm ... doesn't sound like there would be anything "mini" about that. That's essentially an M(240) without the live view and video, or an M-E with a new sensor. To be a Mini M, something about it has to be "mini", i.e. reduced in size. The reduction could be in the sensor, the lens mount, the viewfinder, or some combination of those. A smaller sensor is most likely to produce a smaller body.

Or 'mini' as in minimalistic function... M240 Sensor, RF, period. No live view, video, and what ever else. M240 sounds like May-24-weekend anyway. Bring out them 6packs. Oh I digress...