Mini M? [MERGED] AKA X-Vario

digitalfx

Oh. It has interchangable lenses also....

Bet there's some pissed people at Leica today.

I don't see why. The trouble is, when you buy a digital camera you aren't just buying a camera. You are also buying the built-in "film" inside it. It comes as a package and you can't change "films" to get the look and feel of another digital camera that comes with another type of "film".

For example, try as I might, I can't get consistently pleasing results with my Canon EOS-M that match the Olympus grainy B&W film art filter. And the look of Ricoh GXR's B&W "film" is again different from that of the Olympus.

Ergo. If you like the "film" that Fuji gives you, then their X line is fine. But if you prefer Leica's "film" instead, then Leica's X line is better. To each his own.

*I posted a similar response on the other thread but it seems to have gone missing.

I

don't see why. The trouble is, when you buy a digital camera you aren't just buying a camera. You are also buying the built-in "film" inside it. It comes as a package and you can't change "films" to get the look and feel of another digital camera that comes with another type of "film".

For example, try as I might, I can't get consistently pleasing results with my Canon EOS-M that match the Olympus grainy B&W film art filter. And the look of Ricoh GXR's B&W "film" is again different from that of the Olympus.

Ergo. If you like the "film" that Fuji gives you, then their X line is fine. But if you prefer Leica's "film" instead, then Leica's X line is better. To each his own.

Not so shoot raw and one beast rules .................PP:cool::cool::cool::cool: and it isn't the People's Party

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I

Not so shoot raw and one beast rules .................PP and it isn't the People's Party

Not quite. Try and match the rendering of either the Olympus B&W grainy film filter or that of the Ricoh GRD look. If you can do it, you're a better photoshop jockey than I am. And have more time than I do. For me personally, if a camera's "film" can get me a look I like straight out of the camera, I don't see why I need to fiddle with RAW on every frame I want. Then again, I don't shoot art, my interest is merely to document the world around me.:D

Not a matter of a jockey , just a better horse. Created a series of presets/actions ages ago now it is just a matter of simple fine tuning. Never could see the point in riding old nags

Cctv cameras are a better way to document the world, efficient, cheap and non judgemental

Edited by iforum

Interesting reference Ming Thein makes to the in-camera corrections being made and the resulting 'loss' of image around the edges. I'm not thinking that this is necessarily a bad thing but it might be nice to have the option to 'turn it off'. There is a good illustration of these corrections here.

There is a good illustration of these corrections here.

Now that was interesting! That all should mean that when the raw coverters get decent profiles, we should see even more outstanding results from the vario. Also quite interesting point about the AA. Though I'm quite sure there is one, it must be really mild..

//Juha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting reference Ming Thein makes to the in-camera corrections being made and the resulting 'loss' of image around the edges. I'm not thinking that this is necessarily a bad thing but it might be nice to have the option to 'turn it off'. There is a good illustration of these corrections here.

Lens curvature is being corrected. That is becoming a fairly common thing to do. As I pointed out before, sometimes you might want this corrected and sometimes not.

This DXO video explains it. DXO Optics has a few ways to add cylindrical or spherical curvature into the image to "restore" proportions.

Edited by AlanG

Bought the Leica X vario - because I like the concept of Zoom with great IQ based on the X series. After reading, Reid reviews and Jonathan Slack review, the disappointing F stop of the lens was put is some perspective. I was intrigued by the designer of the X vario is the same as the panasomic LC1 (this happen to be one of my favorite early digital camera and it still sits on my shelf).

So I took the Vario X and Sony Rx1 to london -

Overall, the vario X allowed me to take some shots that I would not have with the Sony RX1. There is some situations where you can't move in closer. Here is some point by point comparisons

Vario compared to Sony RX1

1. Vario is rock solid and somewhat heavy after a long walk. A wider strap will help. For me, not a major drawback, but I wish it was lighter. I suspect this was secondary to the glass.

2. The AF on the Leica is good (not SLR good) but better than the RX1 mainly secondary to the size of the focus square.

3. The layout of the controls and menus of the Leica Vario are better than the RX!

4. Clears the Zeiss optics are spectacular with the shallow depth of field and it is crisp lens. Vario is pretty good, but not as much as I hoped.

5. Olympus VF on the Vario works, but the Sony on RX 1 is better based on the fact that you don't have to turn it on and off

6. The start up time is best on the RX! and somewhat annoying on the Vario.

Two shots of the same delicious dessert from the Tate First the Leica X Vario. This is not true compairison - not the same ASA, perspective of exposure. All processed on an IPAD, so not the best

image-5-M.jpg

And now the Sony RX1 image-4-M.jpg

Some other shots from the Vario at Borough Market

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

Guest badbob
Luminous Landscape released a new report on the X Vario today.

That is very interesting. Nick didn't act the apologist in any sense in that review, he just made the whole topic his own and addressed the common arguments brilliantly. I'm still in a bit of shock - I never would have guessed that Luminous Landscape would make such a bold statement as that - very impressive.

• Like 2

Just received my X-Vario this afternoon. I had used the X1 and X2 earlier and found both cameras to be superb for my style of photography.

My immediate reactions -

1. I was expecting the camera to be much bigger from what I had read on the web. It appears to be slightly larger than the X2, but substantially smaller than the M9, and lighter too. But I like the weight.

2. The heel of my palm keeps pressing the command dial! Very irritating!!

3. On switching on the camera, I go straight to C! I had the same problem with the X1, but not the X2.....

4. The menu is beautiful, as is the LCD screen - when compared to its older siblings or the M9.

5. It definitely needs the EVF attached. Luckily I have the EVF-2.

6. The images shown below are SOOC, shot indoors zoomed at 46mm, ISO1600, 1/80 @ f/6.4. (Border stroked in PS)

If this is ISO1600, I'm going to have fun!!

Now looking forward to walking the streets...... (no pun intended)!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8