Mini M? [MERGED] AKA X-Vario

digitalfx

Guest tanks

This has to be a new Digilux but X2 quality and Zoom lens. I will only buy it if the lens starts at 24mm, the tendency is to start at 28mm and that is just too tight for me. Most of my favourite shots are with a 24mm prime.

I concur. X2 type of camera with a fixed zoom of 24-90mm at f1.4.

• Like 1

Whatever. I'm going to cancel my M order tonight. I can't see me getting one until next year at least. I'd happily keep my M9 until it falls to bits and pick up a smaller backup with better ISO for lower price. No one has mentioned ISO. We know its going to be better in low light. Maybe as good as the M. Lets just prey it can take M lenses!

I think that as a reaction that is a bit premature and impulsive If you really would have to wait for more than half a year to fulfill your order there is plenty of time to cancel in the coming months. June 11th you will have an indication of what this will be. If you don't like it, are you going to reorder the M and wait for half a year more?:confused::eek:

Edited by jaapv

Has anyone thought of this? How come Leica has marketed this new 'mini M' with smart anticipation (just look at the interest in this thread)... yet their flag ship from day one was anything but a soft announcement followed by the kerfuffle of images that we all now know of. Very strange. I'm all for Leica making new products to boost their profits (as all business are in it to do), I just don't hope in doing so, they become so 'commercial' that this then becomes reflected in their products becoming more and more like other manufactuerers.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think they need to slim the camera down relative to the M to be able to call it mini. That would mean a high probability of a cropped (CMOSIS?) sensor, dedicated (AF?) lenses and the M lenses on an adapter of a certain thickness with a focussing linkage.

• Like 1

Well, a Digital MD M(140), allowing for a smaller size. With the same clip-on "Visoflex" EVF

You know I thought this at first as well, but the more I consider the design I believe Leica will incorporate a built in eye level EVF. It certainly is easy enough to do. I don't think it will be like the X100S, ie dual optical/electronic, but rather a straight LCD like the XE-1. Priced at $5500, same as the M-E it's replacing.

• Like 2

Has anyone thought of this? How come Leica has marketed this new 'mini M' with smart anticipation (just look at the interest in this thread)... yet their flag ship from day one was anything but a soft announcement followed by the kerfuffle of images that we all now know of. Very strange. I'm all for Leica making new products to boost their profits (as all business are in it to do), I just don't hope in doing so, they become so 'commercial' that this then becomes reflected in their products becoming more and more like other manufactuerers.
Highly unlikely to put it mildly. Developing a new camera takes years. It is utterly impossible to pull one out of a hat for marketing reasons.

Guest tanks
Customers that change their mind over a delay are not very serious to begin with....:rolleyes:

8 months? The launch was in Februari-March. Counting back to a presentation on a biannual show - the most important one there is- is just showing up a deliberate intention to exaggerate, not a misjudgment by a manufacturer....

The thing is they are filling pre-orders that were placed in September at this point. So, there is a big pipeline to fill before someone that orders today will get their camera.

My two cents worth.

When it comes to building Digital Cameras, the Germans have a lot to learn.

Unless it's made in Japan I DON'T CARE FOR IT.

Cheers.

So what are you doing on this forum?:confused::confused:
  • Like 4

The thing is they are filling pre-orders that were placed in September at this point. So, there is a big pipeline to fill before someone that orders today will get their camera.

True. So one must be a very deliberate buyer to order one today. And given the way the rollout of the M8 and M9 developed in the past so should the preodering customers in September have been. There is no difference, including the complaints posts.

Guest tanks
My two cents worth.

When it comes to building Digital Cameras, the Germans have a lot to learn.

Unless it's made in Japan I DON'T CARE FOR IT.

Cheers.

Really.

Take a look at Phase One camera systems. They are a Danish company, not Japanese.

Now, I will agree that with high volume compact cameras the Japanese do have everyone beat.