Mini M? [MERGED] AKA X-Vario

digitalfx

Lets say for one minute that Leica is looking to surprise the market.

Leica is not stupid. They know that just producing an expensive X-pro or Nex will not work.

Remember that when the M9 came out, the main headline in the photo world was "world's smallest FF", i.e. there was a clear USP for those unused to a RF.

Maybe we are talking about a new CL, with a FF sensor and a RF.

Even without a RF, the ability to take M lenses natively and FF would be a very strong proposition

In any event, I would be happy with APS-H

It MUST come in a silver topped version though ;)

• Like 2

Guest snowboarder
It won't compete with the NEX, as it will be a rangefinder, not an EVIL.

I so hope you're wrong. No one gives a cr@p about the rangfinder.

A FF M-mount digital camera with improved focus peaking and ready for the improved

EVF from Epson. I'm buying two of those right away.

• Like 1

For me the big unknown is the sensor size and whether it will be exactly the same as the M240 or a cropped version. My heart says that a full frame version would increase production run sizes and save on economies of scale, but my head says that Leica Marketing will want to differentiate more from the M240 than simply removing the optical rangefinder, and so I suspect we're in for an APC-C crop.

The odds of you getting an M 240 before June 11 after putting your name on a list now is too small to calculate. So, I wouldn't worry.

Understood. Just meant I wouldn't want to put out a deposit or anything with an announcement this close. I also know that announcement doesn't mean availability!

They call the X2 micro M and the d-lux 6 nano M so it sounds like the letter M lost it's initial meaning.

Where have Leica ever referred to these cameras as you've stated? I've never seen that.

• Like 1

Where have Leica ever referred to these cameras as you've stated? I've never seen that.

On the Leica Camera AG Facebook page.

I think the "Nano" refers to the Nano sim card used in iPhone 5 and iPad Mini (Nano comes from Greek ‘dwarf’).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That would be a very bold move. An entirely new series of lenses. If true let's hope Leica does a better job rolling them out than they have with the S series CS lenses.

Only problem with AF lenses is that it is my understanding that it would be difficult to incorporate phase detection AF. Without it, the Mini would be like the RX1 - nice but hamstrung.

I think you are right - if it is an EVIL, I doubt Leica would use the M moniker. But, then you are talking about a new ME240 and they wouldn't call that "Mini." So, if it is "Mini" then is it a crop sensor RF that could fit in a pocket? That's my final guess. That actually would be very cool!

Tough to figure out based on the name. Leica already moved away from traditional nomenclature with the MM and the M and the ME. Who knows what "Mini" means - maybe it is designed by BMW this time?

For me the big unknown is the sensor size and whether it will be exactly the same as the M240 or a cropped version. My heart says that a full frame version would increase production run sizes and save on economies of scale, but my head says that Leica Marketing will want to differentiate more from the M240 than simply removing the optical rangefinder, and so I suspect we're in for an APC-C crop.

I'm with you. I expect to see an X2 with interchangeable lenses.

Andy

• Like 1

M stands for Marketing (puff).

Let's see, they're positioning this above the X2 (fixed lens/fixed focal length compact with crop sensor) and the real M models (full frame, M mount, manual focus rangefinders).

I doubt it will be a FF fixed lens camera, as that would encroach on X2 sales, and it won't be some kind of budget M rangefinder either.

It could be a variation of the X2 but with a zoom lens, or I would say, more likely a crop sensor camera (probably EVIL) with a small range of AF lenses, a 'standard' zoom, a tele zoom and pancake prime. This would be a 'stepping stone' from the X series to the M, as well as a stand alone alternative system for those who want/prefer AF.

Is this speculation? Or do ou know for sure?

The most expensive item going into the Leica M is the mechanically complex and fragile rangefinder mechanism. It costs a 'fortune', relatively speaking. It also takes up a lot of space and demands a rigid framework to be mounted in. It would be smart just to remove the mechanical rangefinder all together. Then the camera can be made smaller (øh, mini) and cheaper.

When at it; why not introduce AF?

• Like 1