Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

Leica Q3 Survey  

551 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my Q2....
    • Leica Q3 is generally not interesting for me
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

6 hours ago, HPFM said:

Yes, I just ordered the Q3 after a trip to Norway equipped with my SL2 / 100-400 and the Q2. Nice combo, but.... after the technical test (SNR, pixel binning, best DNG and low light) of mathphotographer on YouTube i will buy the Q3 for the "better sensor" in low light conditions. I don't think about the AF (I would appreciate to get the better AF in the SL3 soon) and I think it's nice but not necessary to get a tilt screen. But better low light conditions and the possibility to correct the exposure without "noise" is essential for me. We plan our next trip to Spitzbergen end of September and I will carry the same combo with me....Hopefully Q3 instead of Q2. Cabin luggage is restricted to 8 kg - polar lights are waiting :-))

You should definitely consider picking up the Sigma 14mm f/1.4 DG DN lens for your SL2. You should be able to shoot decently clean images at ISO3200 with 1-5s exposures @ f/1.4 for the Aurora.

On 6/18/2023 at 9:48 PM, SrMi said:

What about M rangefinder cameras? They do not have a tilting screen, but are really well suited for street photography.

I have often heard M rangefinders described as ideal for street shooting. Can you elaborate a bit about why? Thanks. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/20/2023 at 10:09 AM, jplotkin said:

I have often heard M rangefinders described as ideal for street shooting. Can you elaborate a bit about why? Thanks. 

Answering that question would be well off the topic in this thread. You can ask that question in the M specific forum.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:28 PM, AdHox said:

Put down my deposit on a Q3 at my first opportunity, missed Leica Melbourne’s first batch, now hoping the second batch comes in time to take it with me on my holiday. 

I was at a Q3 launch event last night and feeling pessimistic that mine would arrive in time for my trip.

But I got the email from Leica Melbourne today … my Q3 is waiting for me 😁so I’ll even have time get it set up properly.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Olaf_ZG said:

At first I said no, but, with a tiltable screen and possibility to change format (square), it would be a modern style of the old rolleiflex. 

At the beginning of "digital", being an holder of an Hassy, I thought it would have been great to have a modified 500CM, replacing the ground glass by the screen, 4x4 sensor to use 35mm lenses. Imagine it now with IBIS, high res sensor & screen....it would have been a true photographic horse like it has always been !

15 minutes ago, sinwen said:

At the beginning of "digital", being an holder of an Hassy, I thought it would have been great to have a modified 500CM, replacing the ground glass by the screen, 4x4 sensor to use 35mm lenses. Imagine it now with IBIS, high res sensor & screen....it would have been a true photographic horse like it has always been !

That’s why another option might be the 907x, though the Q3 will be a better allrounder.

Just tried it out at Leica Mayfair and flip screen is nice but I was sort of expecting more from tracking AF  which still pulses in and out while tacking, it does it less than the  Q2 but I had been hoping for something as smooth as my Sony’s. Face detection certainly works better but personally it’s not worth the £3000 or so I would have to fork out after trading in the Q2

Edited by viramati

On 6/3/2023 at 12:28 PM, AdHox said:

Put down my deposit on a Q3 at my first opportunity, missed Leica Melbourne’s first batch, now hoping the second batch comes in time to take it with me on my holiday. 

I was at a Q3 launch event last night and feeling pessimistic that mine would arrive in time for my trip.

But I got the email from Leica Melbourne today … my Q3 is waiting for me 😁so I’ll even have time get it set up properly.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:25 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I ticked "stick with my Q2". The main reasons:

• I am still reading opinions of the new AF, especially for body/face/eye recognition. So far I don't get the impression it is as good as my SL2-S. In the end I will have to find an opportunity to try it for myself. (The speed of AF with the Q2 has never been my concern; it has been the Q2's inability to even recognise a body/face/eye).
  • I heard today that the Q3 cannot have its video limit of 30mins removed by a firmware update. Thus I cannot use it for recording stage performances on a tripod.

But it will saves me some money. Other, trivial, reasons for being content with this:

• I like my Reporter finish.
  • I don't want a flip screen, which detracts from the Q2's clean lines. 

What appeals to me about the Q3? Nothing much, unless the AF is improved much more than it appears. The extra pixels are a de minimis change. 8k video WOULD have been useful (allowing virtual zoom and pan at 4k or FHD), if the video recording limit had been removed.

Today I went to see the nice people at Leica Mayfair and had a quick look and test of the issues that concerned me in my previous post. 

The AF is vastly improved. I set it to the same settings as I use on my SL2-S, which is iAF and body/face/eye recognition. From a test within the confines and lighting of the shop it was similar to the SL2-S, immediately picking people within range, including about 5m away and including from the back of people and their heads. I would be surprised (given that we’re talking about a 28mm lens, not a SL2-S with a zoom) if it was actually off the same standard in reality, but this is encouraging, and removes the issue from my list of concerns. 

The flip screen is acceptable: not invisible,  but good enough for me, and easy to use - if you want it, which I don’t. 

The lack of video beyond 30 min remains a deal breaker for me. 

The Q3 could replace my Q2, but the differences do not make it worth the cost. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Today I went to see the nice people at Leica Mayfair and had a quick look and test of the issues that concerned me in my previous post. 

The AF is vastly improved. I set it to the same settings as I use on my SL2-S, which is iAF and body/face/eye recognition. From a test within the confines and lighting of the shop it was similar to the SL2-S, immediately picking people within range, including about 5m away and including from the back of people and their heads. I would be surprised (given that we’re talking about a 28mm lens, not a SL2-S with a zoom) if it was actually off the same standard in reality, but this is encouraging, and removes the issue from my list of concerns. 

The flip screen is acceptable: not invisible,  but good enough for me, and easy to use - if you want it, which I don’t. 

The Leica "Q-series" is the first Leica I have owned.  Its use is mainly for holidays, family get-togethers, and a walk around cam.  I leave the other cams in the car or carry one with a tele as a second cam.  The Q2 is great.  However 2 of the above three you mentioned were very important to me... as well as one other for the decision to upgrade.  The AF-detect for people on the Q3 is great and reliable (so far). The FW5.0 on the Q2 was lacking (for me) unless you were right on top of the subject.  The flip screen is a distinct advantage.  The DR and a few extra MP are also very good additional advantages.  I don't use video all that much and if I wanted to do more than 30 minutes of video I would probably use a different cam.  Going into why would take too long and uninteresting.  Suffice it to say stills are 95% of my shooting.

All that said, I was not dissatisfied with the Q2 but found it unnecessary to own both a Q2 and Q3 at the same time.  Actually the only issue I have with the Q3 right now is the fact the half case makes it somewhat inconvenient to flip out the tilt screen.

Bob

• Like 1

No, I made the mistake once of upgrading to the Q2 and returning back to the original Q.  There are a few points that make me prefer the original.

1. What separated the Q from other fixed lens cameras (RX1, X100, GR) is it's simplicity and great haptics. I feel the Q3 is trying to do too much. It became bigger, heavier and clumsier as a result.  I have other cameras that can do even more, and with the size/weight gap decreased, I think I prefer the other cameras that offer better ergonomics and much better versatility.
2. The original 24MP sensor created the most unique images with grit as opposed to the more clinical/digital looking images of the high MP sensors.  Again, I have other cameras like the A7IVR for those type of images. And the 24MP sensor performed better than the Q2's 47MP sensor in low-light.  I'm not sure about the Q3 but it probably performs even worse in low light with more MP.
3. I have the silver Q which is the best looking Q 😁

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

No, I made the mistake once of upgrading to the Q2 and returning back to the original Q.  There are a few points that make me prefer the original.

1. What separated the Q from other fixed lens cameras (RX1, X100, GR) is it's simplicity and great haptics. I feel the Q3 is trying to do too much. It became bigger, heavier and clumsier as a result.  I have other cameras that can do even more, and with the size/weight gap decreased, I think I prefer the other cameras that offer better ergonomics and much better versatility.
2. The original 24MP sensor created the most unique images with grit as opposed to the more clinical/digital looking images of the high MP sensors.  Again, I have other cameras like the A7IVR for those type of images. And the 24MP sensor performed better than the Q2's 47MP sensor in low-light.  I'm not sure about the Q3 but it probably performs even worse in low light with more MP.
3. I have the silver Q which is the best looking Q 😁

I agree with you about the silver Q, I wish I would have got one when they were around. Until the Q2 Ghost was available the only other finish I really liked was the titanium version, which I had to pass on for financial reasons. However the Q2 Ghost agreed with my bank account so I jumped in 😀 It is possibly the closest finish to the Q in silver that I could find.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 9:28 AM, petereprice said:

I'm genuinely interested, but taking my time, at the back of the line.  I've learned that it's not a good idea to jump into the first batch especially with Leica.  I want to make sure all the bugs and QC issues are out of the way.  So I'm ok with my Adorama Pre-order saying 12/2023 Expected Shipping time.  

This is exactly where I’m at. After reading about all the issues on the forum, I don’t mind being at the back of the waitlist.  
that said, I am excited, this will be my first digital camera, my current shooters are the Nikon F80 and Leica M3

On 6/24/2023 at 3:05 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Did you try the high ISO in dim light?  For me that is the main reason I will probably switch to the Q3.  It is SOOOO much better.  That really is my only major gripe with the Q2 that would make me want to get something else as I often shoot in low light and often would rather carry something ligter and smaller than my Nikon Z7ii with bulky lens.