Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

Leica Q3 Survey  

551 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my Q2....
    • Leica Q3 is generally not interesting for me
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Stephen_C said:

From the downloadable manual:

Stephen

Thanks, but that sounds a little (too) complicated. Why would I have to use a mobile device at the same time of shooting with the Q3? Why not direct registration by the camera as is the case with the S 007 ?

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:38 AM, PAG said:

I have a Leica D-LUX 7 and I have looked around for another Leica that does in-camera RAW processing and so far, haven't found one. Like I said, the programming is already there because the camera already does it all when it produces a jpeg in-camera. The processing wheel doesn't have to be invented, the routines in the programming just need a front end to make that accessible in the menus. The D-LUX 7 has a vario summilux f/1.7 24mm-75mm which is pretty good. It produces 17MP images for 4:3 but you can opt for other aspect ratios and I nearly always use 3:2 (I started off with film (24x36mm and 54x68mm Mamiyas) in the 1980's so that is may excuse). The weak points of the D-LUX 7 are its lack of water resistance (although I (touch wood) haven't had any problems with that yet - again, it comes with always treating cameras with respect because my miniature and medium format cameras were never expected to be water resistant so got into the habit) and, the sensor could be updated to the same type of sensor we have now. Apart from that, the lens is excellent and the images produced are good enough for hi-res stock photography.

A Q3 would be nice if it was smaller and so on. To me, I need a camera that produces the goods but doesn't give some mugger the idea that it is worth taking off me. The Porsche that looks like a plastic pig (Reliant robin for anybody younger than about 50). The D-LUX 7 currently is the best fit. If I want to go bigger, I'll get a SL3 when that comes out.

That would be a great camera on paper but I’m highly doubtful Leica would release anything downmarket from the Q series moving forward. 

On 6/2/2023 at 1:38 PM, PAG said:

I have a Leica D-LUX 7 and I have looked around for another Leica that does in-camera RAW processing and so far, haven't found one. Like I said, the programming is already there because the camera already does it all when it produces a jpeg in-camera. The processing wheel doesn't have to be invented, the routines in the programming just need a front end to make that accessible in the menus. The D-LUX 7 has a vario summilux f/1.7 24mm-75mm which is pretty good. It produces 17MP images for 4:3 but you can opt for other aspect ratios and I nearly always use 3:2 (I started off with film (24x36mm and 54x68mm Mamiyas) in the 1980's so that is may excuse). The weak points of the D-LUX 7 are its lack of water resistance (although I (touch wood) haven't had any problems with that yet - again, it comes with always treating cameras with respect because my miniature and medium format cameras were never expected to be water resistant so got into the habit) and, the sensor could be updated to the same type of sensor we have now. Apart from that, the lens is excellent and the images produced are good enough for hi-res stock photography.

A Q3 would be nice if it was smaller and so on. To me, I need a camera that produces the goods but doesn't give some mugger the idea that it is worth taking off me. The Porsche that looks like a plastic pig (Reliant robin for anybody younger than about 50). The D-LUX 7 currently is the best fit. If I want to go bigger, I'll get a SL3 when that comes out.

I have the doppleganger Panasonic LX100, great little camera but obsolete now, I would love it to be really updated, not the fake vs2, from sensor, IBIS, screen, viewfinder, processor etc...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Argie Bee said:

Yes, pre-ordered. 

Why? If now now, when? My camera progression:

• Contax RTS (1976 until they stopped manufacturing Kodachrome)
  • Nikon (1991 through today)
  • Leica (whenever the Q3 ships through ‘end -of-life’—mine, likely)

Another who has to buy the latest as soon as it comes out 😂😂😂

I bought my Q four years ago…hoping it’s my last camera.

I like the way you think

My vote is Probably.  I spend about an hour with the Q3 at the Bellevue Leica store a few days ago and shot it walking around with my Q2 also.  Comparison shots in a somewhat scientific experiment.  I have looked at the images and have some conclusions.  While the Q3 is better at high ISO, the overall image quality of the Q2 was pretty good to begin with.   You can pull images out of the shadow with the Q3 better than the Q2 at higher ISOs.  The Q3 autofocus did not seem quicker, but the face recognition sure worked well.  I could never get it to work on the Q2 even with the latest firmware.  It really needed the boost in horsepower the new processor provided.  A lot has been said here about the flip screen destroying the Leica look or maybe feel.  I can say that with the Q2 in one hand and the Q3 in the other, flipping between the two, I did not even notice the difference.  For all practical purposes the subject is moot.  The problem is only in your mind.  The new viewfinder is very nice, thought I expected to see a much bigger difference.  I guess that says the Q2 viewfinder was pretty good.  I know it is better than my Nikon Z7ii.  I did not see a big difference in 60MP vs 48MP, but then again, that is really not a large difference in resolution.  The lens seems to be able to handle it as well as the Q2.  I never owned a Q, but did play with one when it first came out and I can say the images did look really amazing and when I compare my few Q shots to the Q2 they do look better.  Then again, if you view them 1:1, you are looking at a much smaller area of the image on the Q2 and Q3 so you would expect the Q to look better.  If you could look at them the same dimension, say a 16x20 print, I think the Q2 and Q3 would outperform the Q.

I did put my name on two lists and when the stated 6 month wait materializes, I will decide.  Hopefully I can play with a Q3 again along with my Q2 to see if I want to make the upgrade.  I made some mistakes with my comparison the other day that I could refine with another session.

Edited by Aram Langhans
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Count me in the probably camp. I tried one out at the DC Leica Store yesterday. I have to say the feel in the hand is no different. Shooting across the street using the digital/cropped zoom was pretty impressive with the new sensor. The tilt screen is extremely sturdy, and while I’m not sure how much I would use it, I could see how it could enable some shots I’ve struggled with in the past.

I had the Q3 for a few days and sold it.  It is an amazing camera and it addressed most of what I thought could be improved in the Q2.  I can’t see in 28mm very well, though.  My preferred focal lengths are 50mm and above.  With the resolution of the Q3 I thought it may have been able to replace my SL2-S.  The lenses I have for that system are the 35, 50 and 75 APO Summicron-SLs and the 50mm Summilux-SL.  Resolution of the Q3 was fine when cropping to to 50mm, but when compared to shooting portraits with a native 50 the compression and perspective distortion were noticeable and, even if placed in the center of the frame, there was a slight widening of the subject with the 28, comparatively.  That being said, the images I’m seeing are amazing.  If Leica does release a Q body with a 40-50mm lens I think it could be a viable option as an all in one carry.  With the advances in AI noise reduction the low light advantage of the SL2-S may become negligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. G said:

I had the Q3 for a few days and sold it.  It is an amazing camera and it addressed most of what I thought could be improved in the Q2.  I can’t see in 28mm very well, though.  My preferred focal lengths are 50mm and above.  With the resolution of the Q3 I thought it may have been able to replace my SL2-S.  The lenses I have for that system are the 35, 50 and 75 APO Summicron-SLs and the 50mm Summilux-SL.  Resolution of the Q3 was fine when cropping to to 50mm, but when compared to shooting portraits with a native 50 the compression and perspective distortion were noticeable and, even if placed in the center of the frame, there was a slight widening of the subject with the 28, comparatively.  That being said, the images I’m seeing are amazing.  If Leica does release a Q body with a 40-50mm lens I think it could be a viable option as an all in one carry.  With the advances in AI noise reduction the low light advantage of the SL2-S may become negligible.

For me it is "horses for courses."  As a lone, all-around camera for professional use, the Q3 would not be my choice.  The wide end is just too wide, even with the cropping feature.  However, for a travel camera, especially in cities with large buildings and smaller streets, where the wide end is much more usable, the Q3 (and my current Q2) is an ideal solution. As I mentioned in another post, on a recent European trip I brought the Q2 and another cam with a 40mm equivalent prime.  Only used the Q2 for 2 weeks and the images were just great.  Plan on making a few prints soon. 

Since the Q2 was the first Leica I've owned, I've used Sony and Nikon for my paid work.  Will continue to do so.  Last comment.... only a few days of ownership of the Q3 and sold it?  That's a pretty short time.  I needed a couple of weeks and a variety of shooting situations to get used to the Q2. 😁  But it was worth it.

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, I owned the Q2 for a few months a while back so it was more of a situation of revisiting the 28mm to see if I could get along with it now that the resolution had increased.  I’m not unhappy with the performance of my SL2-S.  With the APO lenses I’m always amazed at how detailed my files look - but the weight of carrying it all around does get tiring at times.

I'm in two minds, and I realise that if I didn't have an M I wouldn't have looked at the Q at all. But I love the M, and the feeling does spill over to a desire to try more Leica products. I just need to work out whether I expect the fun factor to last

Am 4.6.2023 um 17:27 schrieb Dr. G:

Resolution of the Q3 was fine when cropping to to 50mm, but when compared to shooting portraits with a native 50 the compression and perspective distortion were noticeable and, even if placed in the center of the frame, there was a slight widening of the subject with the 28, comparatively.

Can you share your comparison shots? I‘d be interested to seeing those. I tested this myself quickly. Can you guess which is the real 50 hint,hint

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Apart from the Q being wider than the Canon RF 50 I don‘t see much difference in distortion. Both files have the lens profile applied. Tried to shoot from the same perspective, handheld so it’s not perfect obviously. F/3.2 on the canon iso 1250 and f/1.7, iso 400 on the Q3 - both 1/100. Manually set WB to match both frames. Canon has a Diffusion filter on, so it’s slightly hazy and a bit blurry due to motion on my part (lens is heavy…)

• Haha 1

I'm genuinely interested, but taking my time, at the back of the line.  I've learned that it's not a good idea to jump into the first batch especially with Leica.  I want to make sure all the bugs and QC issues are out of the way.  So I'm ok with my Adorama Pre-order saying 12/2023 Expected Shipping time.  

• Like 1

Got Q3 on Friday, I ordered in the first hour when the sale started and was really lucky to get first in the queue.

I am very happy with the camera and have not had any issues so far. Definitely worth waiting even (6) months..

• Like 1