Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

Leica Q3 Survey  

551 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my Q2....
    • Leica Q3 is generally not interesting for me
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With an M10-R, M10-M and SL2 system already on deck, I see no need. For street, there is no substitute for an M, and digital cropping does not convey the depth compression one achieves when switching to focal lengths greater than 28 mm. It's sure a nice marketing spiel though.

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 1

Really enjoying the Q2M but thought a Q2 would be a complementary addition. Purchased a used Sony RX1R II instead and it has been very good considering the age, and it goes well with the Q2M. But now that the Q3 is available, with so little increase in price, it will replace the Sony.

I have a year-old Q2 that I bought new that has less than 3K shots on it.  I might get the Q3 at some point in the future but it's just not practical right now.  I also have a Q2M and SL2-S and I'm happy with this trio of cameras for the time being.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Morley said:

No I will stick with my much loved old Q, maybe one day update to a Q2, although even that is doubtful, and frankly at a UK launch price of £5300 I just do not think the Q3 worth the asking money. Don 

I paid £2,900 for the Q on launch date in June 2015. So now almost double the price. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

He means that he would prefer his camera to have all the disastrous camera freezings the German engineers have been able to produce and not fix in over a year.

When my Q2 was a month old, on the first day of a trip it froze. Went back to Leica, they fixed it, and it was randomly freezing. Fortunately it froze on demand in the Leica Store. They replaced it with a new one, which has been faultless. 

For those of you wishing for 35mm or 50mm on a Q body, keep in mind: The Q3 at 60MP offers you a 39MP sensor (close to Q2 rez) with a 35mm lens and a 19MP sensor with a 50mm lens (M9 size sensor)

ALSO, by using framelines/digital zoom, you are using the sweet spot of that fabulous lens!

This is the reason I have a keen interest in the Q3. I would never buy a fixed mount 28mm if that was my only choice. This is my perspective as a full time photographer selling primarily large prints and having to consider ROI with new gear purchases. It feels like 3 lenses/cameras in one.

Twenty years ago, I was selling 40x30 inch fine art prints from my 11MP Canon 1Ds. Granted, it took a ton of work using custom resizing formulas but 39MP (35mm lens on Q3) is more resolution than most people will ever need and 19MP (50mm on Q3) is plenty for sizable enlargements.

Just sayin' 😃

Edited by MindsEye
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not going to buy one but I'm much more tempted by the Q3 than earlier models. I wouldn't want a fixed screen, 

I think the concept of having a single wide-angle and then using the crop to give you the lens range is a good one, albeit it needs an even higher level sensor to give a long-lens credibility.

I also think it is too big a camera - I was surprised when seeing a Q2 next to an M10, I think the size needs to come down,

Edited by Pangur Ban

6 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Quick poll right after the announcement:

Are you planning to buy the new Leica Q3?

And:

What would most appeal to you about the Q3?

Looking forward to your comments!

Andreas

I am 72 years old, selling all my nikon gear camera, 3 lenses etc, too heavy to still carry and finally happy with Q3 as a new option.

Edited by Gaal
  • Like 3

Skipping the Q3 now for a few reasons.

1.  Love my Q2 Reporter.  Perhaps a future special edition might interest me because I would like a tilting screen and USB charging.

2. With the same lens it would be realistically difficult to tell the difference between 47 and 60MP.

3. Would take too much of a resale hit for the incremental difference in IQ

4. Have plenty of other cameras and the Q2 is a bit of a niche camera for me.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MindsEye said:

For those of you wishing for 35mm or 50mm on a Q body, keep in mind: The Q3 at 60MP offers you a 39MP sensor (close to Q2 rez) with a 35mm lens and a 19MP sensor with a 50mm lens (M9 size sensor)

ALSO, by using framelines/digital zoom, you are using the sweet spot of that fabulous lens!

This is the reason I have a keen interest in the Q3. I would never buy a fixed mount 28mm if that was my only choice. This is my perspective as a full time photographer selling primarily large prints and having to consider ROI with new gear purchases. It feels like 3 lenses/cameras in one.

Twenty years ago, I was selling 40x30 inch fine art prints from my 11MP Canon 1Ds. Granted, it took a ton of work using custom resizing formulas but 39MP (35mm lens on Q3) is more resolution than most people will ever need and 19MP (50mm on Q3) is plenty for sizable enlargements.

Just sayin' 😃

Cropping is not the same as a native lens. It's not always about resolution. 

A 28mm fixed mount is your only choice for the Q3. It's not 3 lenses in one, it's one lens with a photoshop action inside the camera.

It's why I will never buy a Q. I am not interested in wasting resolution or paying  for a wide angle I don't want, practical or not. No one buys a 28mm lens for their M11 going "meh, I'll crop to 50 - it's like having both!" 

• Thanks 2

I voted “no, other”.

Though I do like the concept of the Q, the FL is too wide for me. Had the Q, sold it, tried the Q2, will sell it, and won’t buy another 28mm for EDC.

I love 50mm, and my EDC should reflect this. Digital zoom is nice, but a gimmick, as in the EVF 50mm is really too tiny.

No.

I do not print, and if I ever have done, no more so than A4 size. I do not need / want all these fancy “recognition” scenarios (face, body, nasal hair, toe nails etc) and do not miss a flip screen. 60mp may better for zooming, but for my photography I like 28mm with only occasionally zooming to 35mm. The Q2 is more than sharp enough for me, and in fact I now shoot with a pro mist filter permanently on the lens. I shoot DNG 100% of the time ergo do not need JPG in camera trickery. Video is not my thing.

I love the simplicity, ergonomics / handling and colour science of the Q2. To be honest I am saddened to see the Q3 go the way of becoming akin to a Sony / Fuji computer. The Q3 UK price was pretty much the only pleasant surprise for me.

A Q2 with just the Maestro IV chip may have been nice…. for me.

• Like 2

I'm wondering what a fair price for a Q2 in excellent condition (with original box, etc) but for some slight cosmetic wear would be now, in order to leverage what's needed to trade up to a Q3. I was thinking about, say, $3400.00 (sold privately, not through a dealer). Also wondering if that amount might change once Leica runs out of them. Thoughts?

Edited by dno