Leica M10 in 2022

ajihu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m in Canada, Toronto specifically and I’ve been thinking about getting a used M10. I love my M6 and no other digital camera has come close to shooting with my M6. I love focusing with the rangefinder and the general simplicity of the camera. I also love the size which rules out the chunky earlier version of the digital M’s. I’ve been looking at getting an M10 as they’re reasonably priced by Leica standards on the used market but I’m not having much luck in Canada unfortunately. My options seem to be eBay or to buy from the US. I’ve found a mint condition M10 for $5100 USD and after I pay HST tax in Ontario would be about $7500 CAD to import which is significantly cheaper than buying a new M10 up here, about $10000 CAD. Wondering what folks experiences are with the M10 or digital M’s in general? Still with it in 2021 or would I be investing in an outdated system? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• Like 1

I have the M10, M10 M, and a M11, and a few M6's TTL as well.

I LOVE my M10.  It takes amazing photos and the files are a a manageable size.  As with any camera, it is really a function of your needs.  At 24 MP, the M10 meets most of my needs (print size of 16inX20in or less, but your needs may be different.

As fas a shooting experience, I like moving from my M10 to my M6.  Nice to be able to use the same lenses, in many cased I use my M10 (or M10M) to test my exposure and composition, before I capture something with my M6.

I really do not see the M10 as an outdated camera and the M system clearly is not.

With the M10R and M11 out, I would expect that you will see more on the used market, but like the M9, it is a bit of a classic I think.

Dan

• Like 4

I bought one last month, a demo from the store in Wetzlar. I believe that for private use (and an occasional wedding/event in future), this camera is all one needs (regarding the m).

I was doubting to buy another m8 or m9, but I couldn’t let this deal pass by. I expect lots of fun with it for many many years to come.

• Like 2

As ever with digital, it's not a worse camera x number of years later (in fact it's usually had some FW updates to make it better than it was when it was first released). It's just that the newer cameras have improved.

IMO the M10 gets a number of things very right, even the M11 has very few external physical changes from the M10 eg size, ergonomics and very little change to the OVF, so the M10 will still feel quite current in the hand and in usage

Of course the newer Ms will have better ISO and more DR and more features and only you can say if these are worth the extra to own them

I bought a used M10 about a year ago... I was a bit kicking myself not too to be honest... I knew if I could hold off a year I'd save quite a of cash... but I couldn't, I didn't and I haven't once regretted it. Not that means you'd feel the same of course

• Like 2

The M10 is a fine camera for most people and in most situations.  It was my first Leica I bought and I made some great photos with it. But, it was a bit limiting in some respects.  You really have to watch the highlights since they blow very easily and aren’t recoverable.  It also is well-documented that ISO 100 is a pull and you’re better off shooting at 200 for optimal DR.  ISO 6400 was as far as I’d push it for decent image quality, but coming from an M6, you may be perfectly happy that you can shoot in color at 3200!  But the biggest knock against it was that it can’t see in the dark like my M10M can. ISO 32,000 - no problem. I’m definitely more of a b&w shooter, so the M10 went to a friend who uses it more than I did.   

As a digital color M camera though, it is solid.  You don’t have the glaring flaws like the M8’s lack of IR cut filter, the M9 corroding sensor, the M240’s green banding in pushed shadows.  Just treat it a little like shooting slide film and meter for the highlights and it’s great.  Shadow recovery is solid and you can recover a ton of info there. Leica should also have parts and service available for many more years as well.  As a first digital rangefinder, it’s a good pick. 

Edited by Anakronox
  • Thanks 1

The M10 is a great camera.

I think the previous post is very conservative on ISO, and managing highlights is no different than other cameras. The body (except baseplate ) and viewfinder/rangefinder is carried over to the M11 without change.

Find some of the original reviews in the M10 thread - none of the adulations become invalid just because the next version appears.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 was the first "proper", virtually flawless digital CMOS Leica... pretty much *everything* was on point and it fixed the few remaining flaws of M240 (small buffer and greenish recovered shadows plus the disputed and discussed body thickness). I would not hesitatre to add a M10 body to my M10-R anytime.

• Like 2

I do not consider the M10 to be out-of-date. 24MP is almost always adequate resolution, and while the M10-P introduced a quieter shutter, I do not consider the original M10’s shutter to be loud. If I need help determining proper leveling, I can insert a bubble level into the flash shoe. Thus far, I have resisted the urge to buy a newer M model.

I will admit/disclose that I can “cheat.” I do have high-resolution cameras, a ~50MP Canon 5Ds R, and a ~47MP Nikon D850, but mostly use that resolution for macro and nature photography, when acting as a “citizen scientist.” (I mostly use Canon DSLRs for macro, and I and my wife both use Nikon equipment for birds and general nature photography. She was the mentor who got me started in serious photography.) Acquiring a higher-resolution M camera, for people and “general” photography, remains unimportant.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

M10 was the first "proper", virtually flawless digital CMOS Leica... pretty much *everything* was on point and it fixed the few remaining flaws of M240 (small buffer and greenish recovered shadows plus the disputed and discussed body thickness). I would not hesitatre to add a M10 body to my M10-R anytime.

Sticky iso dial al dont forget it 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I use the M10M and the M10R and at the moment I can't imagine what I would need more.

The pixel count is perfectly sufficient to print large photos in excellent quality.

The dynamic range and sensor sensitivity is more than sufficient, so I think these cameras will accompany me for a very very long time and I will rather invest my money in travel.

Good day all

Th M10 is absolutely sufficiently performing. My criteria is ISO base. The picture quality is fine already as well with M9, M240 etc for non professional (big format) use. So coming from M6 this is goodn enough and good price/performance, M10 in good conditions sell in germany around 4500 Euros in leica stores online (with 1 yr warranty). Dont go to ebay for this. If coming from M240 its not enough of a change, here M10R (6500 as new) would be a step, shutter is pleasantly silent, ISO , touch screen (maybe helpful) and resolution is stunning. From price view, and battery (!!!) M240 is still a weapon and MP (240) is a treat.

Best wishes from germany.

I used thM7 for many years. Didn't buy the M8, M9 or 240 because I was feeling something was not as I expected.

When the M10 arrived on the market I had the opportunity to test it in Wetzlar and as soon as I had it in m,y hands I understood it was the camera I was waiting for.

Now a few years later I'm very satisfied and do not plan any "uopgrade". M10 is an excellent camera. I suggest to go with it!

• Like 1

@ajihuI can't remember when I last used my M10, two or three years ago maybe? On the other hand I do know what film is in my MP, M2 and M4-P and when I'm likely to be using each again. The M10 is OK, but if you love your M6 and the character of film the images from a digital Leica can be very bland after the initial enthusiasm wanes. It's a shame you missed out on the M9, that made characterful images, from then on there has been nothing as exciting in the digital M range, unless you like talking about pixels, DR, or ISO. Resolution to self - I must use my M10 this weekend before putting it back in the drawer for another two years.

• Like 1

Buy a M10, you will love it. It is still a very good tool to make good photos in 2022 as well as in 20…

The M10 makes live as an M-photographer so easy, the colors out of the cam are wonderful. I have an M10-D and it is my most used camera

• Like 4

Since getting an M10P I rarely use my M6. Both cameras feel very similar and offer the same rangefinder experience. I’m in Vancouver and would strongly suggest the M10P over the basic M10. Unless you need huge prints or lots of cropping the 24 mps are the sweet spot. 

I’ve been shooting professionally with my m10 for a year, it is a perfect camera and even compared to the 10R or 11 there is nothing that makes me want to upgrade.  I expect to use this for many more years.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17