M10 Upgreade to M10-R or not?

TrickyMrT

I had m10 before and now m10r.I use 50mm apo and zeiss biogon c 35mm f2.8.After used and tried all current m line i found these to be the sharpest of all.What changed after m10r?

M10’s per pixel sharpness was better.There is more resolution for R but not sharper.You need to increase sharpness slider at least to 65 to get the same amount of ğer pixel sharpness(40 is default) at photpshop.

M10 has that well known clearence which makes the obkects pop.I don’t see it with R.Also M10 is contrastier.Maybe increased dynamic range makes it look less contrasty becouse of increased shadow detail.

Awb of M10 is better especially at shadow places.Awb of R makes a greenish color cast to every file at shade places.

So if you need more resolution and like to give some time to raw conversion then cropable size of R files are good for you.Nothing more special.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, budjames said:

That's is a good price for a private sale. I traded my M10 in on the M10-R. I got $3,500 for the trade as the camera was in pristine condition with all of the packaging and accessories. I made my deal with the Leica SoHo NYC store. I have purchased a number of cameras and lenses there so I was a know quantity to the dealer.

Regards,
Bud James

Not a great deal IMO. Dealers are listing clean M10s for $5200-5300.  Leica Miami returns 80% on agreed trade-ins (70% on consignment), or roughly $4200 on trade. Or one could consign with Popflash for $5200 and get back 80% ($4160).  They generally move gear fast through a combination of their retail and eBay listings. handling all ads and customer transactions. Having a dealer warranty often supports a higher listing price.  No prior relationship needed.  I’ve made purchases through Leica SoHo, too, but not my first choice for sales or trades.

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Not a great deal IMO. Dealers are listing clean M10s for $5200-5300.  Leica Miami returns 80% on agreed trade-ins (70% on consignment), or roughly $4200 on trade. Or one could consign with Popflash for $5200 and get back 80% ($4160).  They generally move gear fast through a combination of their retail and eBay listings. handling all ads and customer transactions. Having a dealer warranty often supports a higher listing price.  No prior relationship needed.  I’ve made purchases through Leica SoHo, too, but not my first choice for sales or trades.

Jeff

Jeff,

Good to know for the future. Thanks!

Bud

Thank you for all the help!

I did the upgread :)  My new M10-R will arrive next week!

Jeff S replies made it very easy for me doing the dessicion.

I have some cash on my bank and it feels not better keeping it.

Im interested in getting just the best quality. A new sensor is a new sensor and it captures more by each shot.

Do i need more resolution every time?

No, but it is still nice to knowing having more flexibility. 

Have a great weekend.

I traded my M10 (daily camera) and M9M for the M10R yesterday. I shot the first photos of the M10R at night and was SOLD.

As many have mentioned, it doesn't have the same sharpness as the M10 -- at least not with my new 50 Lux ASPH, I have not tried my other lenses yet (my photo counter is at L100016, so I really don't know how this will be just yet). I have also not compared it against my well used M10, or my old school Mono typ 246. The M9M and M10 were a loss to me, for sure. Energetically and sentimentally. But this is just gear in the long run, and it is part of a camera system that will certainly change time after time. The M10 (original) is in the last phase of its product cycle.

Trading up now keeps you in the M10 ecosystem with the updated features of an M10P as well as the S3-type sensor and DR. As many have said, printing larger or cropping is better as well. But as I have gotten 30x60 prints out of my M typ 246 this may or may not be super relevant. Now that I am shooting much more color (in both film and digital) I wanted something with a little more DR. I have a S typ 007 and that has gotten me more DR than ANY M I have yet owned, than even the SL, than any camera I have owned period. I'm fascinated to see what will result and how my photos will change because I can shoot with cropping in mind and shoot with higher color-sensitive DR. 

Technology moves forward and since our art is a technologically based medium I think it's important to let go of things that just "work" and find those things that push us to do more.

So far, it seems like a very good upgrade. Don't be sentimentally attached to your older bodies. IF its not film,. it will come and go.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, jwr50 said:

I upgraded from the M10 to the M10-R, and I'm glad I did.  No doubt you'll get a lot of different opinions on this, but for me, the increased pixels, the higher dynamic range, and other features carried over from the M10-P (i.e., quieter shutter) were all factors that made the trade-in worthwhile.  For me, the M10-R is pretty much the "perfect" digital Leica M.

Until the M11 comes out,then you will have to get that and after that the M11 SDR [super duper resolution].

Edited by steve 1959

On 9/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, steve 1959 said:

Until the M11 comes out,then you will have to get that and after that the M11 SDR [super duper resolution].

The M11 will be SDMR  [super duper mega resolution] :)

My M10-R arrived, and it blows me away. It was a big step from M10 to M10-R. The DR is a way better than the M10. I don't like to say the M10 is outdated, but the M10-R is just great.
When the M11 comes out, I will wait until the M11-P is there. Let's hope the M11 comes with IBIS and in body EVF as well as dust removing system.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, TrickyMrT said:

The M11 will be SDMR  [super duper mega resolution] :)
When the M11 comes out, I will wait until the M11-P is there. Let's hope the M11 comes with IBIS and in body EVF as well as dust removing system.

And also an adjustable dioptre.

Edited by marcg
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, paulsydaus said:

The M11 is all but guaranteed not to have any of those things.  I suspect you’ll be disappointed...

I think the biggest changes with an M11 will likely be;

Improved/redesigned ISO wheel

faster electronics, maybe Maestro 3

bigger buffer

UHS-II card reader

better external EVF accessory.

Slight body redesign

electronic shutter modes.

Hopefully they also include the thumb rest from the M10D.

Maybe low energy Bluetooth support.

That’s about it...

They will almost certainly not include IBIS, sensor cleansing or a built in EVF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

bigger buffer

UHS-II card reader

Slight body redesign

That’s about it...

They will almost certainly not include IBIS, sensor cleansing or a built in EVF.

The thumb rest would be extrem great!

==> Maybe something which could be pushed down?

==> I keep my fingers crossed for it. The current one is not good

8 minutes ago, TrickyMrT said:

The thumb rest would be extrem great!

==> Maybe something which could be pushed down?

==> I keep my fingers crossed for it. The current one is not good

Less heat :) ; M10R/M10M both get pretty hot after a shooting on a warm day.

20 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

bigger buffer

UHS-II card reader

Slight body redesign

That’s about it...

Certainly nice refinements but enough to motivate me to upgrade my M10P.. Now that I have the M10R, I might sell my M10P.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.