M10 Upgreade to M10-R or not?

TrickyMrT

6 hours ago, Chaemono said:

The M10-R is for landscape and architectural photography, IMO. I didn’t see more DR than the M10-P has and the M10-P has more exposure latitude, meaning less pushed shadows noise at higher ISO.

I think the image quality in general is improved in the M10R and is fairly substantial in what I am seeing. I do think there is improved DR that is quite noticeable. In general I don’t agree with this assessment based on 4 or more months of usage and years of M10P usage. 

I think you often provide very informed opinions often including examples which strengthens your argument, but I think you missed this one. 

It may be more to do with setuporgs point that you have the S3 and for lesser important imagery the difference between M models won’t matter. 

Like my M10R and m10m with my D-Lux 7 is to your S3 with your M10P. 

• Like 1

I've been shooting my M10-R with my APO Summicron 50mm and Summicron 35mm ASPH, both are the current models of these lenses. The sharpness of the APO on the M10-R is the best that I've seen personally from Leica, including my SL2. The greater resolution allows me to crop tighter and still have excellent results. Pretty Amazing!

The Summicron 35mm ASPH is definitely up to the task of the higher resolution sensor. The 35 and 50 will be my go to lenses for my next vacation. I think that I can leave my APO Summicron 75mm at home. This set up along with my iPhone 11 will give me everything that I need for travel.

The 40 MP sensor is definitely overkill for general street photography and family snaps, but you have it when you need it. Contrary to some posts that I have seen, I have not experienced a noticeable slowdown in processing on my two year old iMacPro running Capture One Pro 20 even though the files sizes are twice that of my those from my M10-P.

Here are a few examples from the APO Summicron 50mm, however, the file size limitations for uploads to this forum won't do the images justice. The RAW files when viewed in Capture One Pro 20 are simply amazing.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by budjames

vor 9 Minuten schrieb budjames:

I've been shooting my M10-R with my APO Summicron 50mm and Summicron 35mm ASPH, both are the current models of these lenses. The sharpness of the APO on the M10-R is the best that I've seen personally from Leica, including my SL2. The greater resolution allows me to crop tighter and still have excellent results. Pretty Amazing!

Here are a few examples, however, the file size limitations for uploads to this forum won't do the images justice. The RAW files when viewed in Capture One Pro 20 are simply amazing.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

540i M Edition of the newly face-lifted BMW 5 series. Did you get the xDrive with it?

2 hours ago, Chaemono said:

540i M Edition of the newly face-lifted BMW 5 series. Did you get the xDrive with it?

Actually, it is a 2021 M550i which only comes with X Drive. After six Audis, I needed a change. This is my first BMW. The biturbo V8 puts out 535 HP and gobs of torque. A fantastic piece of German engineering.

Regards,

Bud James

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, setuporg said:

After trading in M10 for M10R I notice improvement in tonality, and also better metering -- or it just ends up better because the highlights are preserved.  This is a no-brainer and a must for M10 unless you want the loud click for models as Jono mentioned.  The M10 was my first Leica since its release in 2017 and I was sad to part with it but the replacement was like a reincarnation except quiet and high-res and better DR.  What's there to discuss compadres?  As @LeicaR10 says, time to reach for that black Amex!

Better metering ? You've got my attention. Can you tell us more ? 

On 9/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, jaapv said:

Only upgrade if you need to - what feature of the new camera would improve your photography and what not? And if there should be any upgrade reason, is it worth the money?. Please bear in mind that more megapixels do not automatically lead to better images, in fact for most "standard" use even 24 MP is considerable overkill.

Unless, of course you suffer from the monkey-genetic defect that we all have, and that is reaching for the next shiny fruit before we have eaten the present one. In photography it is called GAS...

The main upgrade of the M10R vs. the M10 is the sensor.  If you want even higher printed image quality at a given size, the M10R's 40.89 mp sensor is a compelling feature.

If you don't need to make exhibit quality fine prints, keeping your M10 is probably a better choice.

• Like 2

vor 58 Minuten schrieb budjames:

Actually, it is a 2021 M550i which only comes with X Drive. After six Audis, I needed a change. This is my first BMW. The biturbo V8 puts out 535 HP and gobs of torque. A fantastic piece of German engineering.

Regards,

Bud James

Make sure you don’t exceed the speed limit and don’t leave the M10-R on the backseat. Unless you plan to upgrade to an M10-RP. 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

The main upgrade of the M10R vs. the M10 is the sensor.  If you want even higher printed image quality at a given size, the M10R's 40.89 mp sensor is a compelling feature.

If you don't need to make exhibit quality fine prints, keeping your M10 is probably a better choice.

The extra resolution might help with bigger prints (or cropping flexibility), but at modest print sizes, the M10 is more than sufficient, in the right hands, for ‘exhibition quality’ fine prints. Stunning exhibits don’t require monster sized prints, despite any current craze, nor do stunning pics necessarily require gobs of resolution. 

Jeff

• Like 2

Guest Nowhereman
26 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

...If you don't need to make exhibit quality fine prints, keeping your M10 is probably a better choice.

"Exhibition quality" is a relative term. I remember years ago, on the Photo Net Leica Forum, people used to say 8x10 or 11 x 14 inches was the largest print you should print from a 35mm negative; that you should shoot medium or large format if you wanted large prints. In 2006, I saw a Daido Moriyama exhibition at the Gallery of New South Wales with 150 x 100 cm (60 x 40 inch) prints, made from 35 mm Tri-X negatives shot on Ricoh GR1 and GR21 cameras. These were spectacular prints, made on an Epson large-format inkjet printer. Of course, these were high-contrast, 35mm aesthetic prints: you wouldn't print an Anselm Adams type-shot in this way. Three years ago, I saw Moriyama's "Tokyo" exhibition at the Fondation Cartier in Paris: same size large prints, and just as dazzling, made with a Nikon Coolpix camera: the latest version of this camera that I've seen Moriyama shoot with is the Coolpix S7000, which has a sensor the size of your pinky nail (1/2.3 in, 16 MP) that produces only JPGs. 

I'm not at all interested in a 40 MP Leica-M, and shall stick with my M-10, which has more than enough resolution for me.

Edited by Nowhereman

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

The extra resolution might help with bigger prints (or cropping flexibility), but at modest print sizes, the M10 is more than sufficient, in the right hands, for ‘exhibition quality’ fine prints. Stunning exhibits don’t require monster sized prints, despite any current craze, nor do stunning pics necessarily require gobs of resolution. 

Jeff

All quite true. 

At the end of the day, it's about the content of the image and the visual impact the image produces.

Cartier-Bresson prints are not huge and do not have cornea destroying resolution yet their prices are in the ionosphere ("Price on Request"):  http://www.artnet.com/artists/henri-cartier-bresson/on-the-banks-of-the-marne-paris-a-6alQ99lrXv1pI_YrPpDJZw2

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Herr Barnack said:

All quite true. 

At the end of the day, it's about the content of the image and the visual impact the image produces.

Cartier-Bresson prints are not huge and do not have cornea severing resolution yet their prices are in the ionosphere ("Price on Request"):  http://www.artnet.com/artists/henri-cartier-bresson/on-the-banks-of-the-marne-paris-a-6alQ99lrXv1pI_YrPpDJZw2

But I’m not just talking about content; I’m also talking about stunning print quality.  I’ve been viewing and collecting b/w prints for over 30 years, from great photographers and printers, and the real magic is when a great pic is enhanced by a stunning print. Besides exhibits, I’ve met with gallery owners, dealers and museum curators to privately view some of their top holdings that are not for public display. Many of these prints were made with modest gear, and none are huge. Some people work wonders with basic tools, while others produce mediocre results using the latest and greatest. An M10 Monochrom or M10-R is hardly necessary, or sufficient, for exhibition quality prints. 

Jeff

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steven said:

Better metering ? You've got my attention. Can you tell us more ? 

This is all subjective and first impressions, but many small feels -- when shooting into the sun, I don't need to change EV -2 to get the sun itself, it does it.  I don't get blown highlights.  It's as if it's doing ETTR by itself.

• Thanks 1

You would probably spend about USD 4,000 to upgrade from an M10 to a brand new M10-R.

For that you may get a little bit more dynamic range and more megapixels. Is it worth it? Only you can decide. 

To be honest, most viewers of an exceptional photograph rarely comment on the camera or the lens used. It's always about the image, the moment and the photographer.

• Like 1