If you'd need to pick today: 2022 Leica M6 or latest Leica MP (both new)

Jewl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

No light meter price of film and processing purity 🟰 load of bollocks. 

Only if you haven't done your learning of how to shoot without a light meter.  I look at my most recent roll of film shot with my MA and out of 38 images, I enjoy 26 of them. That isn't bad. And the remaining 12 images are in focus, in exposure.... I just don't enjoy the overall composition as much as I thought when shot. So out of 38 images using the MA, all in focus, all exposed. Hmmmmm.... not bad. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lmans said:

Huss....I have a pure 'rangefinder' in my Barnacks 1 Model A.... 1930. In fact, it is a true "rangefinder" in the actual sense of the word as 'range' is what focuses the object. One estimates the range in either feet or meters. See attached....    The MdA is a scientific instrument that some people (you?) have adapted and trying to make it work. If you want the purest camera, go back to the very early Barnacks.... my suggestion to you and work on your skill in that sense. Then comes the MA models, and after that comes the models such as your M6 which require little true skill, right? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What is that crutch like thing in front of the camera?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 34 Minuten schrieb lmans:

Only if you haven't done your learning of how to shoot without a light meter.  I look at my most recent roll of film shot with my MA and out of 38 images, I enjoy 26 of them. That isn't bad. And the remaining 12 images are in focus, in exposure.... I just don't enjoy the overall composition as much as I thought when shot. So out of 38 images using the MA, all in focus, all exposed. Hmmmmm.... not bad. 

You are good!

• Haha 2

It is called a ‘hockey stick’, as it releases the lever to estimate range. The later Barnacks didn’t have this as they had an actually rangefinder ( as we understand it to be now), built into the camera. Funny, at the time… they called that improvement ‘auto-focus’, while today, we know what autofocus means. The term has evolved in definition over the years.

Hey… glad to hear your M6 is being returned! Yeah! Jim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the past, I have owned a black chrome M6, a black chrome M6 TTL, a M6 TTL Millennium with the deep black paint that was one of the most stellar Leica ever used and currently have a silver M4 and a black chrome M4-2.  The M4-2 still looks good, forty-five years after leaving the factory. If I turn over the mattress and find an unexpected five grand, I would get a new M6.

I have and will always keep a M6 "classic", some years ago I added a MP.

I find the MP more beautiful than the M6. To me the M6 has somewhat that 70/80s design style. its cool, but I really don't understand why Leica picked it up again.

First world problems though, both are great cameras. The new M6 , the MP, and my old M6 also still works fine (had some light leaks, which could be repaired).

5 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Film transport? Luxury. The true Leica master needs only a single perfect frame to achieve Purity of Essence.

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/OLEYO

The decisive moment 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anbaric said:

It's only a matter of time before someone on Instagram decides for us that the original M6 is the authentic model, and the current one is just a knockoff. #ZincIsReal!

Yes! Zinc bubbling will become a very desirable form of’patina’ to show one has a genuine first issue M6. 

4 hours ago, lmans said:

Ever tried it with slide film?

I once got pretty good at guessing the exposure from using a meterless IIIc, to the extent that I noticed when my SLR seemed to be reading a stop out (it turned out my eye was in but my brain was not engaged - I'd loaded 800 ISO instead of the 400 I had in my Leica!). But it gets trickier in dim light. Negative film is very forgiving - you can be several stops overexposed and still get a nice result, especially if you are working from scans. But slide film is much less tolerant, and even a stop over can blow your highlights and start to wash out colours.

7 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Yes! Zinc bubbling will become a very desirable form of’patina’ to show one has a genuine first issue M6. 

In 20 years’ time there’ll be threads on whether brassing or zinc blisters are better evidence of having used your M in ‘Nam. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

They'll end up having to release a special edition of the new one with a pre-bubbled top plate and a nylon strap.

I don’t know about you but the images from the new M6 look really ‘digital’ compared to the real M6 images.

Leica is going to have to put a FAQ on their M6 page about this - I think a lot of amateur users don't appreciate the complexities of working with a hybrid camera.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Ever tried it with slide film?

I once got pretty good at guessing the exposure from using a meterless IIIc, to the extent that I noticed when my SLR seemed to be reading a stop out (it turned out my eye was in but my brain was not engaged - I'd loaded 800 ISO instead of the 400 I had in my Leica!). But it gets trickier in dim light. Negative film is very forgiving - you can be several stops overexposed and still get a nice result, especially if you are working from scans. But slide film is much less tolerant, and even a stop over can blow your highlights and start to wash out colours.

I have not done slides since I was young… so no…. No slides. But I enjoyed your post. 

57 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I don’t know about you but the images from the new M6 look really ‘digital’ compared to the real M6 images. 

Is this something that has been spoken to by many? If so, interesting. I wonder why?

If I look at my old M6 and compare to my current MA, I don’t see a difference if same film used. To me, the camera itself is just a box that records the image. It is the lens or film type that change the ‘look’….. right or wrong? 

• Haha 1