If you'd need to pick today: 2022 Leica M6 or latest Leica MP (both new)

Jewl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Ah, but you're missing the whole point. 

MP is for Professionals, M-A is for Amateurs and the M6......

.....well, it's obviously for 6 year-olds so scratched films don't matter.

Oops......

What? 6th grade ? 😂🤣😂 @kivis wont like this 

Obviously leica gives us options, black paint, black chrome, if it’s black.. or silver minimalist script on mp and traditional script on MA silver

then suddenly the rapid rewind knob and m6 style advance lever.. all is there… so nice

Edited by jakontil
  • Haha 1

Maybe one important aspect, what if resale value matters?

I do believe the MP BP will lose its value quite fast analog to the vanishing of the black paint whereas the M6 with the new finish might be longer in shape?

I btw have the new M6 which is faulty but they offer me to exchange it with a new one or the MP. My choice. 

5 hours ago, williamj said:

Choices choices. Why would you sell it, but if you did your M6 will have to compete with all the many older M6s on the market. 

It's only a matter of time before someone on Instagram decides for us that the original M6 is the authentic model, and the current one is just a knockoff. #ZincIsReal!

• Haha 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Anbaric:

It's only a matter of time before someone on Instagram decides for us that the original M6 is the authentic model, and the current one is just a knockoff. #ZincIsReal!

True! That's why I actually like photogs / influencers like Joe Greer, Andre Wagner, Stephen Vanasco - swimming at least a bit against the stream. Even though Joe Greer promoted and was part of the new M6 release, he appeared on the red carpet in Wetzlar with his MP ;) 

But still, it turns out to be quite difficult for me haha - harder than deciding for a new car. Even though I thought I made a decision with the purchase of the new (faulty) M6... Didn't expect that. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would take the MA…. For purists… 

Both the MP and M6 have crutches with a light meter. No thanks… 

next time you shoot yr M6 /MP… don’t use the light meter and get a feel of what it takes to trust your instincts on taking good shots. 

Edited by lmans

Gerade eben schrieb lmans:

But that is not an option for me. In my opinion, totally useless without light meter. And don't want to bring an external one.

16 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

MP is for Professionals, M-A is for Amateurs and the M6......

1 hour ago, lmans said:

next time you shoot yr M6 /MP… don’t use the light meter and get a feel of what it takes to trust your instincts on taking good shots. 

I believe Leica's thinking was that a meter is superfluous for Amateur models like the M-A, as correct exposures aren't really important to them. It's different for Professionals shooting with the MP, because they won't get paid if their pictures come out too dark.

For me....there is a special 'flow' inherent with the process of shooting a scene when no light meter is used. I am not going to say there is no interruption of thought, as obviously I have to look at the light, shadows etc and know my camera settings. But to me, that is part of this 'special flow'. I imagine (only you know how you shoot), that most photographers who use a light meter such as on the M6, really are not paying close attention to the actual camera settings other than taking their left hand and moving the aperture so the arrows or dots show exposure.  How many of you are doing that, for that process to me,  appears 'bland'.... 

I shoot mainly with my MA, and when I go out shooting, I know that my 'zone' or 'mood' has to be really 'centered'. Yesterday I took the M6 out and using the light meter, I just started grabbing photo's w/o really paying much attention to the settings. It was far too easy and I was less centered, as I essentially turned the lens aperture to match up red dots. 

As I have suggested earlier.......For users of the M6/mp, take out the battery on the front compartment of your camera and load a 24 roll of film. Don't worry about the end product for now, for the process of learning how to shoot w/o a light meter might take some time. Rather.... grab that intangible 'feel' of shooting by using no light meter. See what it feels like to shoot 'even' less than you might shoot with M6/mp. Then ask yourself; ...how has the process or flow of shooting changed? Can you feel your mood being more connected, focused...the flow more directed? 

If not... then after this experimental roll, put the battery back in and you haven't lost much but you have gained in broadening your experience.

So the question for this forum topic should include all 3 Leica film cameras (MA, M6 & Mp). 

Edited by lmans
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lmans said:

Nothing pure about an M-A.  It has an RF mechanism as its crutch to make sure you get correct focus.  The same way an MP and M6 has an exposure meter as a crutch to get correct exposure.

Want a pure M shooting experience?  Use an MdA.  No meter.  No RF.  For skilled photographers who do not need that nonsense. MA is for people who cannot handle the pure experience of Leica photography.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Film transport? Luxury. The true Leica master needs only a single perfect frame to achieve Purity of Essence.

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/OLEYO

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Film transport? Luxury. The true Leica master needs only a single perfect frame to achieve Purity of Essence.

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/OLEYO

A viewfinder?  Such frivolity.

• Like 1

Comes down to the finish for me, because both are beautiful and are essentially the same camera. Like many, I love the black paint finish (the glossy one that rubs off with use). If both came in black paint then I'd still lean toward the MP because of the script engraving on top plate and the flush film rewind knob (fashion over function...I'm shallow). I parted with a beautiful M3 to help fund the black MP. Won't ever part with the black MP. It is a beauty and works like a champ. I even got the nod of approval from the wife instead of the usual eye roll when a new piece of kit enters the house. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Huss said:

Nothing pure about an M-A.  It has an RF mechanism as its crutch to make sure you get correct focus.  The same way an MP and M6 has an exposure meter as a crutch to get correct exposure.

Want a pure M shooting experience?  Use an MdA.  No meter.  No RF.  For skilled photographers who do not need that nonsense. MA is for people who cannot handle the pure experience of Leica photography.

Huss....I have a pure 'rangefinder' in my Barnacks 1 Model A.... 1930. In fact, it is a true "rangefinder" in the actual sense of the word as 'range' is what focuses the object. One estimates the range in either feet or meters. See attached....    The MdA is a scientific instrument that some people (you?) have adapted and trying to make it work. If you want the purest camera, go back to the very early Barnacks.... my suggestion to you and work on your skill in that sense. Then comes the MA models, and after that comes the models such as your M6 which require little true skill, right? 

Edited by lmans