M10 Upgreade to M10-R or not?

TrickyMrT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, jaapv said:

Only upgrade if you need to - what feature of the new camera would improve your photography and what not? And if there should be any upgrade reason, is it worth the money?. Please bear in mind that more megapixels do not automatically lead to better images, in fact for most "standard" use even 24 MP is considerable overkill.

Unless, of course you suffer from the monkey-genetic defect that we all have, and that is reaching for the next shiny fruit before we have eaten the present one. In photography it is called GAS...

I just dusted off my M10, and having sold the Nikons I've been using, from now on, I will try to do everything with the M10.  While flying back from India, I debated whether my new found $$$ might be put to use in buying an M11, and a "plan-B" might be do do the upgrade.  

@jaapv, I've got to say you nailed it on the head.  In no way, do I "need to", and to be honest, I'm not even sure I "want to".  Between my Nikon D750's, and the M10, I am very comfortable with 24 megapixels.  I know I don't need more, and with the huge file sizes, I'm not sure I want more.  There's always advantages, at least on paper, but if the money starts burning a hole in my pocket, I suspect a new lens might be more useful.

I've got lots of lenses, but half of them are "vintage" as everyone is calling them nowadays, but I rather like the results I'm getting with them.  The lenses I need the most are a 35, 50, and the longest telephoto I can comfortably deal with on the M10, 135, which I bought last year..  I bought the new Voigtlander 50 that everyone is so excited about, and maybe I'll replace my ancient 35mm Summilux with a Voigtlander - but the Summilux is so small and light!!!  

If I still had a job, with a paycheck, I could make almost anything work - but I don't.  Using your words, I don't think the new features of either camera are that important to me, and I think my M10 will do everything I need.  An upgrade sounds tempting, but I like my M10 just the way it is right now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OThomas said:

I was always taught upgrade the glass before the body. Maybe improve your lenses first. 

He bought the M10-R two years ago.

In the ‘old’ days, film was the constant; not much the user could do to improve resolution/rendering except through a different lens, improved skills and/or switching formats. In the digital world, sensor differences have introduced another variable.  

But at the end of the day, it all depends on what the user is seeking to achieve…possibly including the satisfaction of GAS.

Jeff

7 minutes ago, jakontil said:

That m10-p must be so special u willing to put the BP aside.. greenish? 😝

Not aside but hand in hand... I need a second body to avoid so much lens swap and for backup (darn I hope I dodn't jinx it, never needed backup with BP)
It has the suspicious tendency of some darker-than-olive hue, yes...

10 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Not aside but hand in hand... I need a second body to avoid so much lens swap and for backup (darn I hope I dodn't jinx it, never needed backup with BP)
It has the suspicious tendency of some darker-than-olive hue, yes...

Ever since you posted that manufacturing dates, i started looking if it surfaces anywhere 😂😂😂

• Like 1