Shutter noise in M11

sincurves

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, RMF said:

Thanks for including the waveform; to me the M10p sounds refined. I wouldn’t call the M11 shutter sound harsh but it’s does sounds less refined than the M10p. Do the shutters feel the same under the finger as haptics are of high importance to me.

I think you explained it very well. It boils down to the level of perfection that the M10P/M10R shutter sound has. I dare call it "perfect". It took years of new models to get to that point.

It's also clear that the M11 is a slight audible downgrade, but a significant picture producing upgrade. So if you want the best possible quality picture, get a M11. If you want to sit home and play with your shutter, get a M10R and don't use live view mode 😆

I'm sticking with my M10R for now, but I'm very much warming up to the M11 since I started messing with the DNGs from DP Review.

• Like 1

I also have both cams here. The M11 sounds very slightly more complex, longer. (In classic mode)

I find the difference so small that for me it is a non issue, if I would use the M11 for few days I will not even remember there is a slight difference.

for me the main issue would be the difference in my wallet ;(

• Like 2

Tom0511 and Elmars,  I agree with you.  I must say that I am fairly shocked at all the whining and noise making over this excellent new M camera.  Leica took the best of the best, made it even better with over 40 improvements fielded a most excellent piece of craftmanship in the history of the digital M...AND they still complain.  I took my M11 out for the last 2 days and started to put it through its paces.  Simply amazing and photographs are stunning.  It is the best color, rendering and detail yet.  One would think instead of finding "faults", photographers would be grateful that Leica listened to many M users and improved the camera substantially.  I decided to ignore the nay sayers and simply get out and go create photographs as I have always strived to cause the viewer to: Stop, Look, Think and perhaps Feel something about that moment in time.  For me, that is all that matters.  r/ Mark

• Like 7

vor 9 Minuten schrieb LeicaR10:

Tom0511 and Elmars,  I agree with you.  I must say that I am fairly shocked at all the whining and noise making over this excellent new M camera.  Leica took the best of the best, made it even better with over 40 improvements fielded a most excellent piece of craftmanship in the history of the digital M...AND they still complain.  I took my M11 out for the last 2 days and started to put it through its paces.  Simply amazing and photographs are stunning.  It is the best color, rendering and detail yet.  One would think instead of finding "faults", photographers would be grateful that Leica listened to many M users and improved the camera substantially.  I decided to ignore the nay sayers and simply get out and go create photographs as I have always strived to cause the viewer to: Stop, Look, Think and perhaps Feel something about that moment in time.  For me, that is all that matters.  r/ Mark

Mark,

overall I am with you. On the other side the M is about speed, discrete and analog feel, so for some part I can also understand people who had hoped also for some (slight) improvements in this area. It is an excellent camera though (IMO) even though at a steep price.

The year is 2022.
Leica: "Here, have the best and the most advanced M camera in the world - lighter, more user friendly with a killer sensor and three resolutions to choose from".
Some folks: "I do not like the shutter noise it makes. It feels loud, disturbing and irritating. Useless."

• Haha 1

Am 14.1.2022 um 22:40 schrieb drDave:

Shutter noise is indeed a big deal if you do street photography and you don't want people threatening you.  I hope that the sound is comparable to the M10-r

for street photography you can use the electronic shutter, you won't hear anything.

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

The year is 2022.
Leica: "Here, have the best and the most advanced M camera in the world - lighter, more user friendly with a killer sensor and three resolutions to choose from".
Some folks: "I do not like the shutter noise it makes. It feels loud, disturbing and irritating. Useless."

Also some folks: "How dare you question the latest M? Unacceptable. Be grateful and shut-up."

It's a great camera, amazing colours and with well-implemented features. The shutter haptics is not great, though. Instead of a singular decisive click you get a series of clicks. I understand the reasons and think Leica have done well in reducing the impact in the M11. It has zero impact on your photography, It only has to do with the user experience of operating the camera. To most it doesn't matter, but it does to me. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Bauerbach said:

for street photography you can use the electronic shutter, you won't hear anything.

I don't think the shutter will impact street photography in real life situations, the sound is not that loud - just different in my ears. The electronic shutter might be limited as an option due to the readout time of the sensor

3 hours ago, sincurves said:

Also some folks: "How dare you question the latest M? Unacceptable. Be grateful and shut-up."

Haha, I am all for questioning and bitching about new stuff, even encouraging it. Only thus will the kind folks at Leica have something to ponder for future improvements.
However, as a professional photographer who does not shoot exclusively in churches, theaters or at events I could not care less about what noise my shutter makes, let alone making it a reason not to buy this great camera as it has 0.0% impact on my UX, my images and the proces of making them. My written meme above was just pure and clean poking fun. A must to sporadically dilute the tech debates of the forum. I respect the fact that everyone has the right to their opinion.

• Like 1

Well, in the video posted here, I can definitely hear a difference. Probably if one doesn't know the shutter sound of the M10P/M/R one would not notice anything. But in direct comparison the M10P sounds nicer. 

But what I do notice is that it sounds as if the shutter is slightly less responsive. After reading in one of the reviews, how shutter and metering are working in the M11, it explains this – well, I wouldn't call it a delay but – slightly less responsive shutter sound. 

When I got my first digital M, the M240P, I initially chose spot metering and was shocked about how pressing the shutter felt anything but responsive. Particularly compared to my analog MP. I thought the camera was faulty, and after I figured out the reason, I never used spot metering...

Here I can sense something similar, but much less noticeable. How much it would bother me, I could only find out after using the camera for a while, I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jack-tucker said:

Well, in the video posted here, I can definitely hear a difference. Probably if one doesn't know the shutter sound of the M10P/M/R one would not notice anything. But in direct comparison the M10P sounds nicer. 

But what I do notice is that it sounds as if the shutter is slightly less responsive. After reading in one of the reviews, how shutter and metering are working in the M11, it explains this – well, I wouldn't call it a delay but – slightly less responsive shutter sound. 

When I got my first digital M, the M240P, I initially chose spot metering and was shocked about how pressing the shutter felt anything but responsive. Particularly compared to my analog MP. I thought the camera was faulty, and after I figured out the reason, I never used spot metering...

Here I can sense something similar, but much less noticeable. How much it would bother me, I could only find out after using the camera for a while, I guess.

Sean Reid measured the difference in shutter lag (M11 vs. M10-R). M11 is slower, but the difference is insignificant. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, digitalfx said:

I have an M10M and M11 side by side...the sound is virtually identical, except there is an additional thump sound. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how quite it is after reading the early reports of it being louder.

Is that not the whole point !  The additional thump sound is the shutter closing before it fires.  How can that not be considered part of the shutter noise .  I have both an M10R and M11 right here on my desk .  If you can t hear the difference ...the whole difference including closing the shutter ... you need to recalibrate your hearing aids .  

I am officially calling out anyone that says there is no difference in the shutter sound .  Come on JONO you know better . Seven months with the camera and you think there is no difference . 

I can t wait for the rebuttal and excuses ...".thats the shutter closing not the shutter sound of a capture ".  WTF ! 

Please tell me I am wrong I would be very happy if someone can set me straight .  If so I will apologize and be happier with my M11 .  

• Like 1