M11 shutter noise vs. M10-R shutter noise, side-by-side video

onasj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a video I just took of the M10-R (left) shooting in high speed mode vs. the M11 (right) shooting in high speed mode.  The microphone was located approximately equidistant from both cameras during the recording—it was a bit closer to the M11 simply because Leica's half-case for the M11 adds about 1 cm of extra height compared with the AdM case on the M10-R.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcodiwy99kbf3aa/M11 vs M10-R shutter movie.mov?dl=0

Both during the test and in playback, I could not hear any significant difference between their shutter noises.  The M11's shutter noise might be a touch louder at its peak, but it also doesn't linger the way the M10-R's shutter noise does.

I also repeated the test taking the M10-R out of live-view mode and other than the lack of the extra noise at the start as the shutter closes prior to the first exposure, and as the shutter reopens after the end of the last exposure, the sound was the same as in the video, and both cameras again sounded indistinguishable to me.

And I repeated the test in single-shot mode, with the same result.

I suspect people unhappy with the M11 shutter noise are detecting the extra shutter open noises at the start and end of exposures. On the M11 these extra noises occur closer in time to the actual shutter exposure noise, but they are very similar in sound and in volume to me at least.

Edited by onasj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

The M10-R is clearly better: a softer, less irritating sound.  This is disappointing.  You’d think Leica can make continuing improvements with each model and not regress.

I suppose Leica will magically find a way to make it “the quietest M ever” again with the eventual P model…

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1