M11 bag

AndrewPiper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys..

My M11/35mm Summilux is incoming in a about 3 weeks or so as it trips its way around Europe in a friends suitcase. I hope to take it away on holiday with my to the UK so am interested in members thoughts please on a suitable bag..sholder or back pack type. I may have another lens but that is probably all. Everything else can stay at home or be elsewhere. I dont have any preferences currently or a budget so any and all ideas welcomed..please.

Thanks. all advice appreciated

Andrew.

Backpacks are fine for carrying stuff from point to point. They’re horrible to work out of in my view. 

What I use depends to some extent on where I’m going and what else I want to carry. 

In safe places, I use a Fogg B-Laika or a Billingham Hadley One. 

In less safe places I use a Pacsafe Metrosafe 200. It’s not a camera specific bag but has good anti theft measures like lockable zips, steel mesh to stop fabric being slashed etc. 

The Wotoncraft Pilot sling bags are hands down one of the best bags you can get imo (and I have the Hadley's, Peaks, Think Tanks, etc). Probably the 3.5L might be what you are after, though the 2L is worth a look too. I currently have a 7L with a 2L on the way. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The Wotoncraft Pilot sling bags are hands down one of the best bags you can get imo (and I have the Hadley's, Peaks, Think Tanks, etc). Probably the 3.5L might be what you are after, though the 2L is worth a look too. I currently have a 7L with a 2L on the way. 

+1 for the Wotan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a kit the size of a M plus second lens I have a Fogg b minor, a Domke FX5B and a custom leather bag I had made locally. All shoulder bags. The Dome has the most comfortable strap: broad cotton weave, with grip bands to stop it slipping on the shoulder. Both it and the Fogg run the strap under the bag, so provide extra support, no attachments to come loose, and no metal to cause scratches. The Fogg has the best padding.

Posted (edited)

You'll also need a couple of these to deal with the freezes...😆

Edit: sorry, didn't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, so back on topic: although I own bags from the usual suspects mentioned above (and yes, Fogg are a notch above everything else IMHO), I have taken to inserts lately. Pick a bag of your choice and find a 3rd-party insert with the right dimensions (that's the tricky part). Several photo bag makers also sell inserts separately. FWIW, I like the Peak Design ones.

Edited by Ecar

Posted (edited)

For my M9, I sometimes use the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10.
People are always surprised when I take out my M9 with Summicron 40C  mounted and show them my second lens like the 90mm Macro M + spare batteries are in there too!
It is a mini "TARDIS" 😎 that is ideal to work from, either with sling strap or from the belt.

It also serves as a kind of insert for my Leica M9 in my larger Lowepro bag when I am traveling.

Edited by dpitt

For traveling with one camera and two lenses, I've used this Billingham for three years and love it. Instead of having it hang from one shoulder I lengthen the strap and wear it cross shoulder. That makes it safer and also very easy to work out of. 

https://billingham.com/products/hadley-digital-camera-bag_colour-khaki-canvas-tan-leather

Same as Fotgrafr, Billingham Hadley Small for safe places, label removed Domke FX5B waxed job (looks like builders bag) for less salubrious spots. Not a fan of leather bags, having the fashion victim camera* is bad enough without the Oberworth/Gucci/Prada camera bag!

*I actually think the camera is excellent tool with a zeitgeist all of its own, this is not however recognised by most and the last thing I want to do is add to that perception.

I had the small ONA but I prefer my new peak design sling (the smallest one). 
Better protection, low profile for city trips, and I can pack the M with a lens mounted (50 summicron rigid or recent 35 summilux) and the other lens. 

If traveling light and active (walking, biking etc), I prefer a Peakdesign sling 3.5l. Good for a body with up to three small to medium sized lenses (I consider the 35/50 Lux as medium). If more on the leisure and city walk side, I take a Billingham Small Hadley, a Rock‘n‘Roll Havana or a nifty regular messenger bag from Crumpler or Timbuk2 (I wrap lenses and body in padded sheets or lens pouches). The latter is especially handy to store other small items you need to carry (or you might have bought…)

Posted (edited)

+1 for the Billingham Hadley Pro Small. For more minimalist approaches I use a Peak Design 3L sling. You can use it as a sling or a waist pack and it can have discreet straps underneath, useful for attaching a rain jacket, small tripod etc. Both let you carry 1-2 extra lenses but the Billingham has extra capacity, eg for a water bottle and a multitude of smaller items in the front pouches. 

Edited by ianforber

2 hours ago, ianforber said:

+1 for the Billingham Hadley Pro Small. For more minimalist approaches I use a Peak Design 3L sling. You can use it as a sling or a waist pack and it can have discreet straps underneath, useful for attaching a rain jacket, small tripod etc. Both let you carry 1-2 extra lenses but the Billingham has extra capacity, eg for a water bottle and a multitude of smaller items in the front pouches. 

I can fit two M's in the Domke and 2 M's and two lenses in the Hadley.

+1 for Billingham Hadley Pro small. I have been using it for the past 16 months with my M11. I can fit two M bodies (without lens attached), four lens, 2 extra batteries, SD cards, charger, and separate grip. I love this bag.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The Wotancraft bags are outstanding.  I have the Pilot 7L. size and it would be almost a toss up between it and the Billingham Hadleys. 

The Hadleys have more padding, but the Wotancraft Pilot bags are lighter in weight.  The Hadleys may have better rain protection, if you are in a monsoon like environment where it rains incessantly.   

If your Leica kit is going to be beat upon by luggage handlers or porters who don't give a flip about your kit, go with the Hadley bags. Otherwise, take a look at the Wotancraft Pilot series.  JMHO.

Edited by Herr Barnack

There are three interesting Billingham bags for M systems:

- Hadley Small Pro: External W:340 (with top handle)

- Hadley Small: External W: 300 (same interior dimension as Hadley Small Pro, no top handle)

- Leica M Combination: External W: 265 (the smallest of the three). This is my favorite for M.

I like Peak Design 6L for its size, but I dislike that it does not have side pockets large enough for wallet and phone.