Leica M11 or M12 with electronic only shutter

williamj

There is nothing that is more M-like than improving stealth when shooting. 

I just want Leica to use a stacked sensor like the Z8/9 so that using strictly the electronic shutter would be possible without rolling shutter.

If a stacked sensor is used, keep or don't keep the mechanical shutter, I don't care.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, williamj said:

Would you buy a Leica M or any digital Leica if it came only with an electronic shutter? Here I mean something like the one in the Nikon Z9, so something that can photograph working ceiling fans without bending them. 

Yes. I don't care if the shutter is mechanical, electronic, or magic. Having had a Z9, now a Z8 a stacked sensor with electronic shutter is great if you want quiet.

• Like 2

if that's the future for M (and other) cameras, why not, right ?  who cares what shutter type one uses as long as it does the job right or even better than earlier types.  i would obviously miss the soft shutter noise an M10-D produces, and the associated vibration too, which is a haptic way telling me that the photo was taken.  anyway, using an electronic shutter would create some much needed space to cram that IBIS machinery into the M housing.  IBIS is a sine qua non in my opinion for modern sensors that come with crazy high pixel numbers.

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No. I'm not interested in the M evolving in this way. Features like electronic only shutter, IBIS, EVF only, etc are not interesting to me in a M, but I could see all of these in a SL3, SL4, or a new product line such as a more compact SL or an EVF only M. 

Edited by Crem
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The readout time shutter of the Z9 is approx 1/320th second, the same as a mechanical shutter so it will show the same distortion, i.e. not bending the blades of a ceiling fan or skewing the background when panning, but it will still distort for instance a helicopter rotor. The world is still waiting for a real global shutter. 
BTW, the Z9 is not the  camera with the fastest ES. That is the Sonys A7Siii
https://www.cined.com/nikon-z-9-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-latitude-test/

• Like 1

It would be a good thing. One thing less to break, more space. Silent shutters are historically a Leica hallmark. I think there might be a problem with heat dissipation on the vintage Leica body, though. I suppose that the faster the readout, the more computing power needed and the more heat generated. There is a reason that the smaller M cameras don’t do video; and it is not traditionalism. ( despite the fond belief of some 😏

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

There is a reason that the smaller M cameras don’t do video; and it is not traditionalism. ( despite the fond belief of some 😏

Does that apply for the q3 8k recording? 🙃

Global Shutter is not as great in high ISO, and still need improvement before it gets useful

• Like 1

I would go for a fully electronic shutter if it does not have the downsides of the latest one from the M11 (rolling shutter). Nevertheless, I haven't experienced any problems with the M11 electronic shutter yet if it was activated due to the need to cope with bright situations (1/16000 of a second). But of course, reducing the risk of any negative impacts on my image is always welcome 😉

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Does that apply for the q3 8k recording? 🙃

No The basic design of the Q3 body is from the digital era and takes the specific demands of electronics into account. With M cameras it is different, the electronics had to be adapted to the body and the rangefinder mechanism eats up one fifth or more of the available space. The M8, 9, 240 had to bloat, for the M10 they took a year longer than planned just to shoehorn everything in. For instance, they had to develop a separate, folded motherboard. With the Q there is no lens mount,so they could use an integrated lens-shutter-sensor-motherboard assembly, saving lots of space for the rest of the electronics and cooling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wonder how much weight would be saved with the combined removal of the mechanical shutter along with replacing the OVF with EVF (assuming no IBIS added).

In any case, a stacked sensor doesn’t have to mean losing the mechanical shutter. Canon kept the mechanical shutter on the R3 when moving to a stacked sensor. If Leica did the same thing, we’d have the choice to shoot traditionally or silently and without rolling shutter.