Leica M11 Monochrom Pattern Noise

DBounce

• 6 months later...

Back to this thread since I'm currently working my way through a bunch of nighttime street shots done with my Q2M. When I mentioned earlier that C1 doesn't suffer from this issue I was mistaken. I just noticed that C1 has a degree of luminance noise reduction applied by default, and this setting seems suppress the waffle pattern. When you turn that off, the waffle pattern appears.

I've also been experimenting with RawTherapee thinking that maybe it is Adobe's raw conversion causing the issue. In RawTherapee the pattern is still there on high-ISO shots, but perhaps slightly less offensive than what I'm seeing in LR.

I think my approach going forward is to limit the camera to ISO 12500 and boost exposure in software later. In my tests you have far more latitude with in-software exposure compensation and contrast adjustments at 12500 and below, versus 12500 and up where the waffle pattern appears very quickly when pushing the files.

(of course exposing properly in the first place thus negating the need to push exposure in post is always the best solution, I admit)

Would love to hear from others who come up on this obstacle!

It's actually really, really frustrating that this happens. Honestly, I would rather a more random noise pattern than this.

Here's a screenshot from within C1, zoomed 100%, no adjustments, no noise reduction. ISO 25000.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...