Leica M11 Review by Jono Slack

jonoslack

4 hours ago, jonoslack said:

as far as I can tell, the shutter lag on both the M10 and M11 is about 5 hundredths of a second (a third of a blink) - I don't know what it is on an M6, but probably about the same.

I think the spec for film Ms was/is 20 milliseconds (2 hundredths of a second). Assuming one doesn't hesitate at the metering half-press point.

But film SLRs at their best were 50-60 milliseconds With a few of those with lots of mirror-damping (I'm looking at you, Leica R4 ;) or Olympus OM) even longer (> 100 milliseconds).

If the 10 and 11 are indistinguishable, that'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Artin said:

Puzzling this phenomenon is,, Sorry brother I have not had that experience with mine. It may be some silly setting that have not identified.. do me a favour, format both the internal and the sd card .  Set write to SD card first and try it out 

Thanks for trying too help!

Formatted both, internal and external, alway write to SD card first. No change.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Thank you for the suggestion, that fixed it. I was using 128GB Sony Tough card. Switching to Delkin 128GB or Sandisk 32BG fixed it.

- Srdjan

You would think that using a Sony sensor, they would work it out so that Sony Tough SD cards worked in it, lol. These cards refused to work in my M10 variants (froze up/battery pull required), and they are slow as turtles in molasses in my Q2 as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

You would think that using a Sony sensor, they would work it out so that Sony Tough SD cards worked in it, lol. These cards refused to work in my M10 variants (froze up/battery pull required), and they are slow as turtles in molasses in my Q2 as well.

It was not Sony card's fault, wrong alarm.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Artin:

Ok I just tested that 3 times right now from flick of the on switch to capturing an image is about 1 second on my M11 same firmware 1.2

That´s right. Startup-/wakeup-time are about one second. This is about 1/2 second faster than the M10 but still too slow.

10 hours ago, docmoore said:

Forgive my late entry into the scrum ...

Working on a bunch of stuff today .... ES 335 clone that is now completely rebuilt .... plus all the household chores.

Great to see the grandchildren growing up and they look amazing ... not just your skills but I am sure due to the love and support of the you Emma and the family.

I hope the mother ship sent you a case of something in lieu of the party that must wait for a better time.

All of your photos and the review is stellar .... nothing new there ....

Your passion commitment and integrity continue to beguile and inspire us ... well done.

Best regards,

Bob

Hi there Bob

Happy New Year! Thank you very much for your kind words - The kids are great - Roo will be 4 in a couple of weeks! As for the mothership, I'm hoping to get over there in the not too distant future!. 

All the best

Jono

9 hours ago, Artin said:

Johno question here ,, don’t you find it odd that the centre button of the four way selector is now basically not used anymore ??  This could have been yet another function button. I hope they can do something with this in firmware upgrade 

Hi There - it's used as 'OK' on menus etc. 

I agree it could be another function button, but then there wouldn't be an OK button!

all the best

9 hours ago, 35photo said:

lol, Photography is about seeing and reacting to what to see... and you have to do this fast sometimes. Even on standby it takes forever to wake 2+ sec ....snip

Hi There 35photo
Camera Settings / Power Saving:

Camera Standby OFF

Display Standby 30 seconds.

This way there is no wake up time - I was out for 2 hours yesterday and again today for 2 yours and the battery is still on 50% - even with these settings.

I agree the startup ought to be faster, but this way there is no startup or wakeup time. (and it could never be that fast)

All the best

15 minutes ago, Stevejack said:

I’m sorry if I missed this Jono, but is the rear screen off when using the M11 in rangefinder mode? It’s hard to tell from the videos I’ve seen. 

HI There Steve

Yes - unless you turn it on for Live View - it works the same as the M10

Best

Jono

• Thanks 1

A couple of questions (may have been mention, but hard to find in the tsunami of posts). I can't find pictures of the camera that are definitive.

- during a lens change, does the shutter open and close in protective mode? Or is the sensor uncovered?

- with the deletion of the internal meter cell in the shutter chamber, has the floor of the chamber been lowered compared to the M10s?

One of the few things that bugged me about the M10 was an increased tendency for flare patches from internal camera reflections off the "tight" walls and floor of the shutter chamber. (For some reason mostly with 90mm lenses, and even with a lens hood).

Or did Leica simply recycle the meter space for other electronics?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1