Leica M11 Review by Jono Slack

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Thanks for your typically fine and practical insights, Jono. Thanks, too, for reproducing Roger’s Appendix, which I’ve linked here about a dozen times over the last year. I trust that far more people will actually read and trust the information presented by you, hopefully dispelling somewhat the ubiquitous camera/lens MP myth. Now if Roger would only write about high resolution motion blur.

Jeff

Hi There Jeff - thank you very much.

It was a bit cheeky to use Roger's Appendix (although I did ask first) Basically I wanted to deliver something definitive in the hope of avoiding a dispute! (I hope it worked)

As for high resolution motion blur, I think that @elmars did a good job on that!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

BSI technology doesn't have the narrow wells that FSI has, which would block light coming in from too much of an angle. In theory. It's just with other brand's BSI sensors, I've never seen a single person demonstrate reduced vignetting. So the fact that the M11 actually does may mean Leica did some extra work in this department – or perhaps M lenses uniquely benefit from the more shallow wells of BSI.

I would have thought that was exactly the case (the shallower wells help with vignetting) it makes perfect sense. 

1 minute ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There Jeff - thank you very much.

It was a bit cheeky to use Roger's Appendix (although I did ask first) Basically I wanted to deliver something definitive in the hope of avoiding a dispute! (I hope it worked)

As for high resolution motion blur, I think that @elmars did a good job on that!

Unfortunately, many use Peter Karbe's presentation to counter the content of "Roger's Appendix" :( (misinterpretation?).

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb SrMi:

That terminology is good for me. Typically it can be deducted from the context to what motion blur refers. So it makes sense to differentiate between camera shake and motion blur when the context is not clear.

That's very Wittgensteinian.

vor 10 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

Nowadays, I am more focused on persuading people to use the term "live sensor mode" instead of "live view mode." 🤣

😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lburn said:

Very interesting review. The lack of a stabilised sensor is not mentioned in it.  Presumably that it because you do not think it is an issue worth raising as I assume you had no trouble in using the 60mp sensor without any trace of camera shake. I don't think I would be able to that, so it is a concern to me. I assume Leica left it out because there was no room.  Surely it would be an upgrade if they could have fitted it.  Otherwise why is it fitted to the Sl etc? I wonder what you think?

Hi There

well, I mostly set the Auto ISO at 2 x focal length, and it seemed to me that was enough - and as the high ISO is so good it seems to me that IBIS is pretty unnecessary (although I know others will disagree).

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

Hi Jono,

You did not mention the live view stabilization in your review. Do you have any comments on its usability?

Thanks,

- Srdjan

I only heard about it yesterday! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, RayD28 said:

Jono, thanks for the detailed review.  At 10,000 ISO did pulling shadows create a enough noise that you felt post processing was necessary? 

Well, 10,000 ISO is bound to involve some compromises, but I found it quite usable and it was okay to pull the shadows (I don't mind noise though!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Oh noooo!  How will I spend hours working out how to get the unremovable sticker off the baseplate if these's no baseplate???

As always, a very readable, balanced and thoughtful review, Jono, filled to the brim with your extraordinarily good pictures.

Thank you from me.  ("I'll get you!" from my bank manager.)

Pete.

Thank you Pete

your approval is very much appreciated, and if you give me your bank manager's email address I'll explain to him why it's a must!

Do you have your camera yet?

Emma sends Big Hugs

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Yes, insofar as he ran tests. But Roger typically has a simple and vivid (and blunt) explanation of the basis for fact vs myth… the ‘why’ and ‘how’ behind the results.  Motion blur also needs to separated from issues regarding  ‘shutter shock’, shooting techniques, etc.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Hey Jono,

One thing I haven't read about is sensor cleanliness. How has your experience been with that? More or less than previous gens? 

Best, CP

Hi there CP

Not sure - I cleaned my sensor for the first time the other day (it was quite grubby), but it really holds no fears, it takes 2 minutes and costs a few pence . . . I don't think it's worse than before though.

best

Jono

41 minutes ago, 35photo said:

I still think start up time from the time its ready to shoot is something no talks about but for those you need speed the M10 isn't the greatest the M9 was acceptable,  M10 not acceptable... There are ways to work about this, but its some leica should have addressed long ago... Tells me they don't consult pros in the field who shoot a lot and need speed on the streets...

You can't imagine how much they do care about this. . . . and you are right, start up time isn't good enough (it's about the same as the M10) HOWEVER. The battery life is so much better - if you switch the power saving mode off completely, then the camera is always ready, and the battery lasts a day - even with the EVF on. So it's a proper 'workaround'

All the best

Jono

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, SrMi said:

That terminology is good for me. Typically it can be deducted from the context to what motion blur refers. So it makes sense to differentiate between camera shake and motion blur when the context is not clear.
Nowadays, I am more focused on persuading people to use the term "live sensor mode" instead of "live view mode." 🤣

Better than 'Dead Sensor Mode' 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

You can't imagine how much they do care about this. . . . and you are right, start up time isn't good enough (it's about the same as the M10) HOWEVER. The battery life is so much better - if you switch the power saving mode off completely, then the camera is always ready, and the battery lasts a day - even with the EVF on. So it's a proper 'workaround'

All the best

Jono

Do you have any insight into what the start up issue is about? What particular process element takes time?
My recollection (from too many years ago now) is that it wasn't a problem with the M9, but became one with the M240 (there were long threads in the forum about it.........). 

4 hours ago, cp995 said:

First: Thanks a lot for this nice review!

The variable filesize is indeed a great feature.
I know it from Nikon, they call it RAW, mRAW or sRAW. (full, medium, small)

Interesting, that Leica takes this approach!

No, Nikon different file size does not involve pixel binning and the MP is the same across RAW, mRAW, and sRAW, AFIK.

1 hour ago, adan said:

Possibly. But always remember that one photograph is worth 10 million words of theory. ;)

I love the look from it (the Super Angulon), but because of the post processing need, I am often tempted to bring the 21 Elmarit instead.

Thank you very much Jono for the well-written and informative read, and as always, great shots to go with this excellent Read !

The camera is tempting.

Being a long time M6 user, metering with the off the shutter curtain has become completely second nature, and I am more concerned with a new metering system than by the lack of bottom plate :)

I didn’t expect the electronic shutter and the idea of opening - shutting -reopening the shutter to take a pic leaves a bit worried. Confirming there is not more shutter lag is very precious, but I don’t think I’ll go for the camera as long as I haven’t shot a few pics to get a feel on this (and on the rest of the camera) !

In the end, the camera seems to be a very nice move from Leica !

Thanks a lot for the great review !

Didier

• Like 1