The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Herr Barnyard said:

It reminds me of my a7r4. Very sharp but  flat and digital looking.... a good camera for commercial and corporate photography I find. Is the sensor made by Sony?

Does it look flat? Iso 2000 by the way

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 9

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Daedalus2000:

Does it look flat? Iso 2000 by the way

Awesome. It’s becoming more and more obvious that flat and blurry looking pictures posted by other forum members here so far must be due to user error.

• Thanks 2

Flat light causes flat images. The camera is not responsible for all bad photos. The M240 had a flat contrast curve. The M10 was better. In my opinion the M11 is the best in this regard - equal to the M9 (all for DNG). But this is all a matter of taste. You can add contrast an clarity (=pop) easily in post production.

Edited by elmars
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, nthomas said:

Any suggestions on which software to use to mimic the SOOC color?

The M11 SOOC images are pretty pop and fascinating. However, I am having a hard time achieving the similar result with DNG files by C22 or LR. Currently there was no color style from both softwares can be used to mimic the SOOC color.

I guess you talk about the jpegs. What profile are you using in camera?

So far, except for the shots from David  (red dot) , I am disappointed with the M11 images on this site, some seem to be out of focus, others have poor colour etc,

Don't look very good on my M1 Mac.

I remember feeling the same about my long gone M240, good riddance.

Cheers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, elmars said:

Flat light causes flat images. The camera is not responsible for all bad photos. The M240 had a flat contrast curve. The M10 was better. In my opinion the M11 is the best in this regard - equal to the M9. But this is all a matter of taste. You can add contrast an clarity (=pop) easily in post production.

Exactly. I dont really understand what people talk about when they complain about soft images and lack of pop, unless of course they focus on camera shaking and try to see if we hold the camera steady enough. Are these image qualities/properties not affected by the lens to a large degree?

The reality is that to see the best of the quality of the sensor you need good light, a good lens and an understanding of how to process the files. It was the same with the first M monochrom, people were complaining about flat files, but now everyone says how good it is.

Most of us had the camera for a day or two, probably had the opportunity to use it only for a few hours in flat light (or in the evening in my case), with lenses we have (I used the 25mm Zeiss f2.8) and without still knowing how to get the best out of the sensor through our post-processing. Maybe even the Adobe profiles need improvement. And from what I can see many of the pics are in high iso, even the lovely cat photo above is at iso 6400.

So before people try to make conclusions, I would suggest to wait for images that have good light and contrast, taken with a good lens at low iso and from someone who has started to get how to process the image well in terms of sharpness/contrast/clarity/noise reduction etc

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, hamey said:

So far, except for the shots from David  (red dot) , I am disappointed with the M11 images on this site, some seem to be out of focus, others have poor colour etc,

Cheers.

Is this a critique of the camera or of the people who post here?

Just to complete my thought. If David can show that the images can look great, then obviously the camera is a very good camera. So I am not sure why you are disappointed...

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 2

Sorry for the very average image but I want to show something.

This image (it is a crop) has been shot at iso 3200 and then pushed 1.5 stops, so we are talking around iso 9500 equivalent. I also increased the shadows at 30 in LR. I am really happy with how the colors hold at these high isos, especially given the very flat light I had. I used no vibrance or saturation, and I used the Adobe color profile in LR.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I guess you talk about the jpegs. What profile are you using in camera?

Standard on every shots. 
I would say the Leica did a pretty heavy process on jpg this time in order to make the pop-up color. So sad I saved the file on DNG, so the jpg effect was purely the preview while reviewing the images on camera body.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nthomas said:

Standard on every shots. 
I would say the Leica did a pretty heavy process on jpg this time in order to make the pop-up color. So sad I saved the file on DNG, so the jpg effect was purely the preview while reviewing the images on camera body.

I use dngs but I will add jpeg to see what you mean. Was it maybe the fact that you were looking at the images on a small but very good screen that made them look very good?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Artin:

Amazingly well taken. Thank you. Just as a matter of interest or did I overread? What Focalkength did you use? I presume you are on the wide angle side.

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Artin:

That was with the 50 Summilux asph

Great results then. I doubt if I would be able to focus this so well as you did at that near distance. The eye lashes are crisp sharp (of course I know that this is not essential 😇). Congratulations anyway. And of course enjoy your new tool (or is it a toy?).

I plan to go to town next week and I hope that I can look at a real M11. Hope the dealer trades my M10 in. That would be the simplest way of saying good buy to my beloved M10 🤧

Edited by M10 for me

4 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Yours and Elmar’s picture above pop off the iPad screen (your cat and his wife are looking at breakfast right now). It seems to me there is a lot of user error by those who are posting flat looking images. Either that or they don’t have fast lenses. 

Thanks, Chaemono.

User error... perhaps, but it's only an error if they're complaining about the results being flat. I enjoy a good neutral photo for the right subject or circumstances, could be taste as well. I think Artin's child/balloon photos are off the charts stunningly subtle in the rendition.  The M11 SooC DNGs seem in general to be very neutral and life like... very little editorializing. Exactly what I want to see, but perhaps thats what you and a few others are reacting to as flat as people push these things straight out for viewing without any real work done on them.

I LOVE seeing neutral first thing out of camera that can do 14+ stops.  Very, very reminiscent of the 645Z.  What it suggests to me is that the camera captured a ton of range, isn't trying to be smarter than the photographer and is whispering, 'here ya go. I did my part, got you everything you need. Time for you to get to work.'  It rarely takes much to juice things up, but if what arrives first thing looks like a cartoon cel to begin with, getting anything more subtle out of the file is very difficult.  If you're going to make a spring that pops, you start with flat, not bent, wire. So I like what I'm seeing SooC for its potential, but perhaps, as was the case with the Z, a lot of people are disappointed the files aren't slamming them in the face, first thing.

It takes me more than just a few hours to understand how to work things. Honestly, its only with my most recent work with the 10-R that I finally feel I have begun to understand it. Occasionally, especially on the arrival of a new camera, it pays to remember that it's called a digital negative because it represents the mid point in the process, not the end result.  So I think mostly what you are seeing is SooC stuff getting pushed out quickly to satisfy the understandable thirst for samples while folks are on a learning curve around how to extract the look they're after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

APO Summicron 50

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Artin said:

Summilux 50 asph.  I don't think there is a need for a monochrome anymore 

Not needing a separate Mono would probably be my primary reason to get an M11. But it seems you are just equaling the M10R if you have to set it at twice the focal length for sharp images if you can get away with one times the focal length for the M10R. Ugh. Decisions. Decisions.

Edited by John Smith

Apo50m + LR + Silver Flex

Edited by SiggiGun
  • Like 2

Ok, better light and better lens (Zeiss 35/f1.4). This is a crop, maybe 40% of the original image

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 2

An example of possible "pop" that some people want to see.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, hamey said:

Cheers.

Relax and give it some time. We don't even have a good profile in LR/C1 and there are already reports the M11 Auto WB needs some tweaking in firmware so it's not all over the map. Some good stuff is already leaking into this thread, though. Did you follow the Q2 images thread from the start? It was quite a while before the quality of the images hit the same high as the original Q. 

• Thanks 2