The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Artin:

Grand papy has full model release with these gorgeous girls and they actually watch the results with me, and every time they make it on the favourite image list they get a treat from me 

But the children do not, only the grandfather.

I think that's tricky in this day and age. Especially when the children find out later that.....

2 minutes ago, Artin said:

Grand papy has full model release with these gorgeous girls and they actually watch the results with me, and every time they make it on the favourite image list they get a treat from me 

Clever!

46 minutes ago, analog-digital said:

I like to be a killjoy, but do these kids know or agree that their photos are shown publicly here?

Should actually also make the admin puzzled

He’s hardly taking inspiration from Sally Mann here. I understand the crux of your concern but I can’t for the life of me see why you would be calling on admin to intervene on images like these. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, analog-digital said:

I like to be a killjoy, but do these kids know or agree that their photos are shown publicly here?

Should actually also make the admin puzzled

I agree with @Stevejack and @Artin, if we can't post absolutely innocent pictures of children then we live in a sad time

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Artin said:

Here is my take on this sensor so far,, this is by far the most unforgiving and most rewarding 35mm full frame Camera I have yet to use. 
It will punish you if you are not perfect in your technique, It loves super sharp and high contrast lenses. Motion blur is more prevalent then the M10R and it shows up on the micro level making the image blurry and smudgy. But when you nail it it is insane resolution. Good practice is to try and shoot double your focal length.

I found it fantastic with the 50mm summilux, and the  28 Summicron asph. So far I have not really tried with the older Mandler glass yet.

Would love to get your thoughts on the Mandler lens rendering with the M11 VS M10 (or previous Ms)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Would love to get your thoughts on the Mandler lens rendering with the M11 VS M10 (or previous Ms)

Hi there

My feeling is that the M11 is a lot kinder to older lenses (the little boy above was actually taken with a Voigtlander 50 Heliar) What's more interesting is that the removal of the shutter exposure meter and baffle means that tricky lenses like the dual range summicron are no longer an issue. 

All the best

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonoslack said:

Hi there

My feeling is that the M11 is a lot kinder to older lenses (the little boy above was actually taken with a Voigtlander 50 Heliar) What's more interesting is that the removal of the shutter exposure meter and baffle means that tricky lenses like the dual range summicron are no longer an issue. 

All the best

Thank you! Does that mean that lens like the Super Angulon 21mm f4 or f3.4 for example would also work with the new metering and the corners would not get a purple fringe like in previous Ms? 

The DR could already be fitted in the M10 if you mounted at 3m, but now it seems it won’t be an issue at all. That being said, the trickier lenses were the old wide angles that, while they could be fitted, the metering would just not work and they’d look awful in any camera that was not a Monochrom. 

• Like 1

Tried to delete my awful early images but now see it is different from years ago and cannot do it unless in a Gallery. Sorry for posting these as C1 is not cooperating and I no longer use LR. Will now endeavor to develop a profile with a friends help, but sure hope C1 comes up with one soon. The C1 M10R profile is just fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shirubadanieru said:

Thank you! Does that mean that lens like the Super Angulon 21mm f4 or f3.4 for example would also work with the new metering and the corners would not get a purple fringe like in previous Ms? 

The DR could already be fitted in the M10 if you mounted at 3m, but now it seems it won’t be an issue at all. That being said, the trickier lenses were the old wide angles that, while they could be fitted, the metering would just not work and they’d look awful in any camera that was not a Monochrom. 

Hi There

I'm really not sure about the older wide angles and the metering - as for the DR I bought a rather expensive but very clean one today (It'll arrive soon) no modification required. 

What is clear is that the lens 'box' has been gutted, and that the new BSI sensor is much much kinder to wide angle lenses than any of the older sensors. I don't have a Super Angulon to test, but I'm sure that lots of forum members do - and that we'll soon find out what's what!

best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

I agree with @Stevejack and @Artin, if we can't post absolutely innocent pictures of children then we live in a sad time

I agree.  Unfortunately my wife and son have absolutely forbidden me to post some lovely pictures of my granddaughters.  Once or twice when I did do that, the reaction was so severe that I have given up.  Maybe we are in sad times 😞 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Artin said:

Yes a bit off and too much magenta 

I agree.  I shot on AWB with the camera I demoed yesterday, under slightly overcast skies, and the outdoor shots had a violet cast.  The indoor shots, inside the Leica Store, were better.  Changing the Lightroom WB from As Shot to Auto remedied the violet.  Also, as noted elsewhere, there is a 15.01 update for Capture One that has what seems a decent profile for the M11, although in C1 I didn't see an Auto WB setting.

Edited by erudolph

vor einer Stunde schrieb Artin:

this was this afternoon at a clients house the wine rack is built my company look at the tonality and the grain in the walnut. it is just crazy detail 

Can’t really tell due to the image size, I guess.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Artin:

Same as above 

I can say with confidence this is the most incredible IQ I have yet seen out of a 35mm full frame sensor .. keep you speed about 2bl the focal length 

the depth  and colour of the Images are incredible it is defiantly in medium format territory.

It would be interesting to compare the M11 to the S3.

1 hour ago, Herr Barnyard said:

very Sony like ... any info on the sensor being used?

What do you mean by Sony-like?  It is common knowledge that Sony supplies many camera makers. and this sensor may well have been built by Sony, to the customer's specification as usual.

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

What do you mean by Sony-like?  It is common knowledge that Sony supplies many camera makers. and this sensor may well have been built by Sony, to the customer's specification as usual.

It reminds me of my a7r4. Very sharp but  flat and digital looking.... a good camera for commercial and corporate photography I find. Is the sensor made by Sony?

Edited by Herr Barnyard

The maker of the sensor is fairly irrelevant. The rendering of the colour etc. is determined by the specification of the Bayer filter, the processing in-camera and the setings of the raw converter in the postprocessing software. It is quite possible that the sensor was made by Sony. They have been supplying sensors to Leica for a long time, for instance the X and CL/TL series.

• Like 4