Pixii - complementary or competition? [Merged]

northernlights

3 hours ago, loloboubou1 said:

Sorry, I'm used to French forums with few people 😉 and ... I'm more busy taking pictures than discussing them learnedly.
For those who can't find the flickr group it's here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/14783460@N20/pool/

Laurent, thank you for providing the link. The problem I had searching Flickr.com was that your original statement was "Pixxi and new Pixii" but the actual title of your group differs "Pixii et new Pixii". Unfortunately, the Flickr.com search engine is quite literal when searching for a group name... 

Some lovely photos there, I wandered through a bunch of them and joined the group. I'm sorry: I don't use either Instagram or FaceBook very much ... lack of time. Like you, I prefer to spend more time working on my photography and doing other stuff than managing conversations on too many 'socials'. 

Keep going, keep posting great photos! I don't have a Pixii yet, but I suspect that will change soon. :D

G

• Like 1

Gosh, Jaapv ... M-mount is "limited vintage mount", CL is "long in the tooth and in limbo". I guess my 1978 Leica M4-2 is a useless antique by those measures, never mind my 1939 Robot II. 

The limited, vintage M-mount is my choice because it allows me to use the same lenses on EVF (GXR, CL, SL, et al) and RF (M, now Pixii, Epson, et al)  cameras nicely. The same cannot be said of L-mount or any other electronically controlled lens mount .. if the electronic control isn't there, the lens is useless. And the reason that the simplicity of M-mount is my choice beyond that is that I don't find all the additional conveniences and doo-dads of electronically controlled lenses adds anything of substance to my photography. 

Obviously, that's my personal perspective. And I do own other systems with electronically controlled lenses, so I do have a basis for making that evaluation first hand ... I don't have to rely upon other people's opinions. 

G

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

limited vintage mount

Now I wonder what makes you think so. The M mount is still being catered to; the inventor of that mount still issues even new variants of bodies and there are new lenses for that mount appearing both by Leica and third party providers.

Should 'vintage' simply refer to the year when it first appeared on the market, then your electrical car has a vintage engine, since electric motors predate the M mount by a fair number of years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't have a dropbox and I don't know how it works. Is there a possibility to have the emails of people interested in Private Message on this forum? With the addresses I can transfer heavy files with the "wetransfer" site.

For JAAPV information, my favorite lens on the Pixii is the Elmar M 3.8 24, much more compact than the summilux 24 and if we compare them (NFT curves and especially printed photos) at the same aperture... very few differences. As Pixii climbs very well in ISO and its handling allows me to go down to 1/15 in complete safety, I am very satisfied with it.
As far as L lenses and all AF lenses are concerned, the only thing that interests me is: where is the AF off button. I miss the days of focus contests.

25 minutes ago, pop said:

Now I wonder what makes you think so. The M mount is still being catered to; the inventor of that mount still issues even new variants of bodies and there are new lenses for that mount appearing both by Leica and third party providers.

Should 'vintage' simply refer to the year when it first appeared on the market, then your electrical car has a vintage engine, since electric motors predate the M mount by a fair number of years.

Of course. Leica is big on retro-compatibility and M cameras sell very well for a niche product. But the universal Leica mount nowadays is the L mount. As for electric motors, there has been really no revolutionary progress since Tesla invented the linear electric motor, unlike the rapidly changing camera technology. 

45 minutes ago, ramarren said:

Funny how their "universal' mount isn't incorporated into the most visible and popular Leica camera product line. ;) 

G

Hmmm - Do you mean the SL series, including Panasonic and Sigma? I would say that the Q is the most popular.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Hmmm - Do you mean the SL series, including Panasonic and Sigma? I would say that the Q is the most popular.

The Leica Q is not an interchangeable lens camera, obviously. I bet the M cameras outsell all the other Leica interchangeable lens cameras still. The Panasonic S1H or whatever they call it probably sells higher volumes than the SL2 (or SL2-S?). It ought to, it's half the price.

G

2 hours ago, loloboubou1 said:

I don't have a dropbox and I don't know how it works.

As far as L lenses and all AF lenses are concerned, the only thing that interests me is: where is the AF off button. I miss the days of focus contests.

lct sent you the DropBox basic info link already. It's pretty easy .. for free you get 20 Gbytes worth of storage and you can just create a Shared folder for anything you want to share out to others. Much better than everyone having to send you their email addresses or have to use a file transfer service that they're not familiar with. I've never used "wetransfer" and am leery of having to give another third party service access to reading and writing data on my system.

Of course, if you use Flickr, you can also store whatever image files you want there (JPEG, HEIC, TIFF, PNG, most raw formats, etc) as private, and then send a link to authorized folks who would like to have them. I do this quite frequently.

With an L-mount lens (Leica SL or TL lens series, Sigma or Panasonic L-mount lenses...), the autofocus-manual focus mode toggle is implemented in the body. If I owned any, with the CL I'd assign one of the customizable buttons (FN or the Right Wheel Button) to allow one-press focus mode toggling, presuming that I found the need to toggle back and forth between AF and MF frequently. Since I only use M- and R-mount lenses on the CL, the option isn't available. 

G

Hello Lct, Ramarren and others curious. I created a DNG Pixii folder on Dropbox. I placed very different files there and not necessarily "beautiful photos": monochrome native DNG, Bayer, landscapes, clouds-laden skies, streets, portraits, night, mist, colorful luna park, ... Most of them clearly exposed on the left (preservation of HL) which modified my usual exposure routines. Under LR the material is quickly found

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32s60kh2tj0b4em/AABbWy4uWeJ44WPUltl-zJPCa?dl=0

1 hour ago, loloboubou1 said:

Hello Lct, Ramarren and others curious. I created a DNG Pixii folder on Dropbox. I placed very different files there and not necessarily "beautiful photos": monochrome native DNG, Bayer, landscapes, clouds-laden skies, streets, portraits, night, mist, colorful luna park, ... Most of them clearly exposed on the left (preservation of HL) which modified my usual exposure routines. Under LR the material is quickly found

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32s60kh2tj0b4em/AABbWy4uWeJ44WPUltl-zJPCa?dl=0

Thank you much :) Are these out-of-camera DNG files or did you adjust them in post production? Just curious. 

Image wise current PX3I is nothing special, which is better from initial just totally nothing special.

It receives adequate interest. Next to none. I was watching one and only decent reviews of this camera on YT.

IMO. Not close to "competition" and has nothing to do with "complementary" .

If you have ego disposable cash, it is what else to buy to be special (while you can't take decent picture) thing.

Or you want to support independent goof who has some access to cash and wants to try something different, while choosing RF simply because it allows to cut AF complications.  

• Like 1