Pixii - complementary or competition? [Merged]

northernlights

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That would make no sense. One would be comparing completely different animals - a full-frame native monochrome SENSOR against a Bayered APS-C one.  The only thing I would be doing is pitting my postprocessing skills against firmware. 

(BTW, a list of pros and cons is not a judgement.)

I'm fine with an APS-C format sensor, and I have the right M-mount lenses to use with it. I've been shooting with these lenses on the APS-C Leica CL since 2018, and not had any problems with image quality; I've also learned how to pre-visualize what the focal lengths I have feel like on this format.

If the new Pixii sensor is even just on par with the Leica CL sensor, I can't see that it will pose any negatives for me. It will be like having a Leica M-D typ 262 in a smaller body, APS-C format size; I loved the simplicity of the M-D typ 262! 

G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

That would make no sense. One would be comparing completely different animals - a full-frame native monochrome SENSOR against a Bayered APS-C one.  The only thing I would be doing is pitting my postprocessing skills against firmware. 

(BTW, a list of pros and cons is not a judgement.)

Dear friend. I'm talking about photography. I propose to be able to process, develop photographs with Camera raw for their printing and then their exhibition to the public. this is my goal and my job! yes, a thousand times yes: the quality of a file is judged by its possibilities of development and expression of what we felt during the shooting. Yes, a thousand times yes: I am judged a file only as what it will print! Since my first steps in the darkroom, this is what motivates me in the photographic act.
I am therefore not talking to you about comparing test charts in the laboratory or brick walls on screens with crops at 300%. this is what makes sense to me. On the other hand, I finally understand your point of view and especially your sensitivity ... about comparing only strictly comparable things in well-labeled categories.
Did I tell you that I was committing a kind of crime by mixing in the same flow files from various cameras like M10, Mm1, H 907x and... Pixii?

With the release of the M11 I would say that there is now the potential for a simple* full-frame M fitting rangefinder body to fill the gap. At a lower price than the M11 of course. If pixii could fill such a gap (clearly they 'have the technology') then they might find themselves in a much more 'mainstream' (well as much as a rangefinder can be) marketplace. It would be a very bold move to compete directly against Leica but the price would have to be right.

* As in no frills. Ideally as simple as a digital M4 or M6. With a rangefinder base similar to the film Ms too. Clearly not impossible for pixii.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pgk said:

With the release of the M11 I would say that there is now the potential for a simple* full-frame M fitting rangefinder body to fill the gap. At a lower price than the M11 of course. If pixii could fill such a gap (clearly they 'have the technology') then they might find themselves in a much more 'mainstream' (well as much as a rangefinder can be) marketplace. It would be a very bold move to compete directly against Leica but the price would have to be right.

* As in no frills. Ideally as simple as a digital M4 or M6. With a rangefinder base similar to the film Ms too. Clearly not impossible for pixii.

It's the meaning of history 😉 I'm sure the designer has this will. Let's say that by 2020 entering the camera market from a blank page and putting on the market an APS-C rangefinder body which according to DXOmark is the best in the world and beats the M8, M9, M10 , M240 in mid-2021 is already a great achievement! You only have to see the acid reactions that this causes to measure this feat 😉 Those who, for example, criticize the price do not have the slightest economic credibility when you know the cost of manufacturing a rangefinder!
Personally I am convinced that the success of Pixii "APS-C" and especially the evolution towards a more serene context concerning the worldwide availability of components will lead to this evolution of the range... but I do not believe in it for tomorrow and currently I am fully satisfied with what I get.

In any case thank you to all those who doubt and only believe what they see. I am ready to further enrich the DNG dropbox folder with images taken in real conditions!
To those who want to be a buying adviser for others: the "FUD" (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) is neither an appropriate methodology nor an honest approach.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, lct said:

Pixii's black and white DNGs make me think of my M8.2's. Very nice indeed. Too bad i don't like smartphones but i'm a small minority fortunately. The same body with a flip screen a la R-D1 could probably convince me. 

You do not need a phone for the daily operation of a Pixii if you don't want to use it. Actually, the phone is only needed for housekeeping such as setting the clock and renewing the software in the camera. Everything else can be operated with the controls present in the camera.

After the first few outings I stopped using the Pixii with the phone at all. Using the bare camera without the display was my favorite MO with the Epson and will presumably become the favorite MO with the Pixii.

True, I often use the Pixii with the phone when at home at my desk, but this is just because I like to fiddle with software and things when I'm not actually take or process photographs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pop said:

You do not need a phone for the daily operation of a Pixii if you don't want to use it. Actually, the phone is only needed for housekeeping such as setting the clock and renewing the software in the camera. Everything else can be operated with the controls present in the camera.

After the first few outings I stopped using the Pixii with the phone at all. Using the bare camera without the display was my favorite MO with the Epson and will presumably become the favorite MO with the Pixii.

True, I often use the Pixii with the phone when at home at my desk, but this is just because I like to fiddle with software and things when I'm not actually take or process photographs.

Would remind me of my film days but i'm not patient enough. I don't often need instant gratification but when i do i want it right now. Sorry for Pixii but i'm not their core target fortunately for them :cool:.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:54 PM, ramarren said:

It defeats the purpose of buying a small, light camera

It's not all that small:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I asked, on the Pixii website, whether eyepiece diopter adjustment was possible

After some time had elapsed, I asked when I would receive a reply to my question.

I then received an email from "David", stating that he would not sell to people like me.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, pop said:

It's not all that small:

I consider a Leica M to be miniature. Always have. 

But this entire conversation has gone to 'I think this, and I must be right.' Okay, the Pixii is huge and should be usable with a 600mm telephoto and a 7mm ultra-ultra wide. 😇 

Sorry, it isn't. The Pixii seems a fine size for a hand-held camera, seems to have a perfectly useable sensor, and will be perfectly usable with all of the lenses I intend to use on it. I'll know better when I have one and attempt to use it. Laurant's photos with it look very good.

I'll refrain from any further judgements on this thread. They're a waste of my time.

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Viv said:

After some time had elapsed, I asked when I would receive a reply to my question.

I then received an email from "David", stating that he would not sell to people like me.

Ouch :eek:Mademoiselle Pixii prefers guys with perfect sight or wearing spectacles apparently...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Viv said:

It must be some confusion on their part. I only have warm contacts.

On the other hand I can answer: the choice of a rectangular viewfinder window does not make it possible to mount a dioptric corrector.

19 minutes ago, loloboubou1 said:

the choice of a rectangular viewfinder window does not make it possible to mount a dioptric corrector.

I thought the eyepiece is round. Am i missing something?

Just now, loloboubou1 said:

Yes you're missing a pixii 😉

My one was also a Pixii. They changed the eyepiece design i guess. Too bad if it makes impossible to fit eyepiece correction lenses to it.