Jump to content

Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]


Virob
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am most pleased with how handholdable the lens is, plus big bonus, it fit's with hood mounted correctly (ready for immediate action) in my smallish Lowepro flip side 300AWII backpack, easily on the body of the CL, and snugly on the SL2.   On my last walk I had the Pan 24-105 on the CL and the 150-600 on the SL2 and honestly I felt I was ready to capture anything with 24-900 at my disposal😃.

 

Edited by Boojay
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have got mine on Wednesday this week and tested it in the garden. Our neighbors cat was really cooperative ;-) in stressing my SL2 AF together with the new lens....

435mm - ISO400 - f6,2 - 1/640sec

and a 100% crop

It does not fully reach the resolution of my Leica SL 90-280 but is clearly better as my Canon telephotos I have used before I switched to the SL system.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Bernd-B said:

It does not fully reach the resolution of my Leica SL 90-280 but is clearly better as my Canon telephotos I have used before I switched to the SL system.

The 150-600 looks pretty good but I’m curious which Canon telephotos you’ve used in the past. I only have experience with the 70-200/2.8 IS v1 and 300/2.8 IS v1. The 70-200 is run of the mill but the 300/2.8 holds up well even by modern standards. At the time release the 300/2.8 IS v1 was one of, if not the, sharpest lens that Canon ever made and holds up well even with a 1.4x TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my lens and 1.4x yesterday. Haven’t tested IQ yet but pleasantly surprised with SAF speed with TC attached on SL2. IQ looks good from handheld tests but will try and get this on a Gimbal over the weekend. I have a Nikon 200-500 (which also works on SL2 with Novaflex AF adaptor) so I can compare them directly.

Gordon

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, beewee said:

The 150-600 looks pretty good but I’m curious which Canon telephotos you’ve used in the past. I only have experience with the 70-200/2.8 IS v1 and 300/2.8 IS v1. The 70-200 is run of the mill but the 300/2.8 holds up well even by modern standards. At the time release the 300/2.8 IS v1 was one of, if not the, sharpest lens that Canon ever made and holds up well even with a 1.4x TE.

I have owned the 70-200ii, the 100-400ii and the 300 f/2.8ii Canons and the Sigma 500 f4. I now have the 90-280 Leica. The 300 is definitely the sharpest telephoto I have used. But like the Leica, too short for anything small or distant.

Edited by Phil A
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Perhaps this thread belongs in the 'Other L-mount products' subforum. It would make it easier to look at both threads.

Please move it admin.....sorry, my bad for putting it in wrong place originally !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • jaapv changed the title to Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3
10 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

I'm so tempted!! Really want to grab this lens, I even found a shop that listed it on sale for 15% off!!

Is it better than the sigma 100-400 in terms of IQ and OS ? Has anyone tried the lowest shutter speed possible at 600mm handheld? 

This post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • jaapv changed the title to Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]

Yes, I was surprised as well, but I don't think that it will work that well for everybody. I have very steady hands, and used long-lens techniques. Still,  it is a good indication that OIS works very well. 

 

I'm experimenting with IQ  this weekend, I hope. Again, no formal testing, no tripod but just like I would use the lens for real-life shooting. I'll post ;) 
The indications are that IQ will be excellent, certainly better than the 100-400, which is no slouch. The Sports series of Sigma indicates their high-end design both mechanically and optically and I have seen nothing yet to contradict it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first pic of the 2.5" Sun Bird attracted by the blossom of the Bottle Brush Flower Tree in my backyard lite by the late afternoon sun.

At ISO2000, the resolution and sharpness of Sig 150-600mm looks good and close to what the SL 90-280mm delivers.

The continuous autofocus tracking worked well just as any other Leica SL native lens. Autofocus on the lens is indistingushable between Sig 150-600mm & SL90-280mm. I tested the lens at 'Full' focus range setting and did not encounter any focus hunting problem.

The second pic showed a RSAF F16 filter jet making a 180 deg sharp back turn on a cloudy sky. The roaring thunder of the jet caught my attention but the thick cloud only exposed the sight of the jet momenturally, I only managed to shot two frames before it disappeared back into the clouds with one frame only capturing the jet partially in the frame. In the absense of good light, the image showed clearly that the belly of the jet was carrying sidewinder missiles on both ends of the wings and a long range external fuel tank.

The lens stabalization + the IBIS of the SL2 worked well as I took all my shots handheld. Egonomically the lens is a shade heavier and longer than the SL90-280mm. Although it is by no means a short lens when fully extended at 600mm, I did not feel the strain on my arms, thanks to the Sigma Engineering Composite Material on the barrel extension ie Plastic. For once I appreciate the light weight material application over robustness in the lens design.

 

 

Edited by sillbeers15
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

The first pic of the 2.5" Sun Bird attracted by the blossom of the Bottle Brush Flower Tree in my backyard lite by the late afternoon sun.

At ISO2000, the resolution and sharpness of Sig 150-600mm looks good and close to what the SL 90-280mm delivers.

The continuous autofocus tracking worked well just as any other Leica SL native lens. Autofocus on the lens is indistingushable between Sig 150-600mm & SL90-280mm. I tested the lens at 'Full' focus range setting and did not encounter any focus hunting problem.

The second pic showed a RSAF F16 filter jet making a 180 deg sharp back turn on a cloudy sky. The roaring thunder of the jet caught my attention but the thick cloud only exposed the sight of the jet momenturally, I only managed to shot two frames before it disappeared back into the clouds with one frame only capturing the jet partially in the frame. In the absense of good light, the image showed clearly that the belly of the jet was carrying sidewinder missiles on both ends of the wings and a long range external fuel tank.

The lens stabalization + the IBIS of the SL2 worked well as I took all my shots handheld. Egonomically the lens is a shade heavier and longer than the SL90-280mm. Although it is by no means a short lens when fully extended at 600mm, I did not feel the strain on my arms, thanks to the Sigma Engineering Composite Material on the barrel extension ie Plastic. For once I appreciate the light weight material application over robustness in the lens design.

 

 

This is enough for me to push the button! It is coming on Monday! 
It looks so awesome I’m worried that I’m going to regret getting the 90-280

does the customisable buttons work on SL2?

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

This is enough for me to push the button! It is coming on Monday! 
It looks so awesome I’m worried that I’m going to regret getting the 90-280

does the customisable buttons work on SL2?

I have not checked out the two customised buttons. The IQ form the 90-280mm is still better although the Sig 150-600mm is close. My 90-280mm will always be my keeper just as my 0.95 Noctilux.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 2:00 AM, jaapv said:

.........Second disclaimer - using a heavy long rig takes experience. I have been shooting long lenses handheld since 1988. I would dearly love to take reviewers showing off monster ballheads and gimbals ( not naming any names - but you know who I mean ;) ) for a few weeks of shooting wildlife in the bush -after relieving them of their useless (there) tripods and put some photographic muscle in their arms

Jaap, I couldn't agree more about useless tripods and gimbals 🙄

Here's a Pied Kingfisher image I took yesterday AM,  hand held with the SL2 & Canon 400mm f4 & 1.4x TC & MC-21 adapter, a fairly hefty piece of kit. 

I'm expecting to receive the Sigma 105-600mm next week in SA.

 (please click on image for better res.)

 

Edited by michali
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

I have not checked out the two customised buttons. The IQ form the 90-280mm is still better although the Sig 150-600mm is close. My 90-280mm will always be my keeper just as my 0.95 Noctilux.

As a 90-280 owner, for me it's about the extra 320mm, not having to crop to fill the frame and still having 47mp. The trade-off is the slower speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...