Pixii - complementary or competition? [Merged]

northernlights

If it was full frame i think it'd be more appealing. For APS-C i'd rather get an xpro-1/2/3 and fuji X to M adapter (which can record exif data IIRC). They are about the same size.

The only issue to me would be regarding sensor coverglass thickness, which is something the Leica CL would have less of a problem with compared to the Fuji. With the CL in the picture, as @otto.f mentioned, I'd pick that over the PIXII despite having an EVF over the OVF (larger company backing the camera, hopefully more support, AF glass options, smaller size)

Am curious about the PIXII sensor readout speed given it is electronic shutter only.

• Like 2

It is really the greatest news for rangefinder photographers in ages. I felt bad that their first attempt almost drowned in the Internet nay-sayer chorus, so I am super happy that they survived to make an improved version. 

Just because it is not made with me in mind, does not mean that they are trying to personally insult me. Live and let live.

I really hope this will be a great success for them so we see future updates.

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 5

Before even thinking about whether this could be an option, somebody would need to explain the value proposition of this camera to me. It only sports an APS-C sensor and is very simple in terms of features. It doesn’t even have a screen. From the data I‘ve seen so far, the camera seems to be way too expensive for what it offers. Unless it achieves incredible image quality or has any other killer feature, I would always prefer a well maintained used M body.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb M8X2:

Before even thinking about whether this could be an option, somebody would need to explain the value proposition of this camera to me. It only sports an APS-C sensor and is very simple in terms of features. It doesn’t even have a screen. From the data I‘ve seen so far, the camera seems to be way too expensive for what it offers. Unless it achieves incredible image quality or has any other killer feature, I would always prefer a well maintained used M body.

"very simple in terms of features. It doesn’t even have a screen" is a value proposition in its own right. Remember: Leica itself produced a few screenless digital M cameras. Managing all but the most basic settings with a phone seems quite reasonable to me, yielding a very 'pure' experience and minimizing the chances to inadvertedly change some settings which may affect the pictures for the rest of the outing.

Even so, it's too pricey for me, even if I understand that the first product of a small outfit can not be expected to be competively priced.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, brunner said:

Using the M-D as my main camera, I like and 7nderstand their approach. Always nice when brands don´t follow the main road.

Yes. The M-D 262 is my all time favorite Leica M body: the convenience of being a digital capture camera with the (lack of) features of a film M. I sold the M-D because, while I initially bought the CL purely, body-only, for those circumstances when I needed a TTL viewfinder (macro, long lenses, etc), I found the small format, lighter weight, and usability of the CL compelling enough that it became the only camera I picked up regularly. It has a bunch more features than I really want, need, or use, but they don't get in the way since I use it exclusively with M-mount and R-mount lenses. 

This new version of the Pixii follows the same mode of thinking as the M-D 262 but in APS-C format, at half the price of the M-D 262 body when I bought it. Yes, I'd buy one if I were buying anything (other than ancient Kodak Retina cameras are next-to-nothing prices ... :) ). 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Follow on ... 

I've decided I have way too much unused camera equipment and want to concentrate on having equipment I'm going to actually use.

I'm putting a good bit of equipment that I never use any more up for sale, will use the money to help fund a purchase. The Pixii is perfect for my purposes ... same format, same lenses as I use on the CL, but an optical viewfinder for bright conditions where the CL viewfinder becomes less than optimal, and utter simplicity in use just like my Kodak Retina IIc or Leica M4-2. I doubt I'll go for more than 64M storage since I rarely fill up even a 32M SD card in the CL before I've moved the exposures into my image processing system... 

I feel it's time for this equipment reduction. There is too much—too many distractions—in my equipment cabinet at present. And too much sitting there unused but requiring battery maintenance anyway.

G

• Like 3

BSI sensor is nice, but with an APS-C size and a maximum ISO of 12800 it is clearly not a competitor to the M10M, M10P, M10R or the soon to be announced M11, all of which have significantly more ISO range - 50,000 maximum ISO for the color cameras and 100,000 maximum ISO  for the Monochroms. 

The Pixii also falls short of the Q2 and Q2M.  The Q2 and Q2M have the same maximum ISO ranges as above, along with 47.3 mp full frame sensors and the 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens. 

If I were interested in an APS-C format camera, the CL would be my choice.  The CL with the 18mm f/2.8 lens is $3100; the Pixii runs $3407 to $4022 depending on the amount of memory you opt for.  And those prices are with no lens.  Not a good buy IMHO.

I'm having a hard time figuring out who the target market demographic for the Pixii would be.  The Pixii is another alternative, but not a rival to any offering from Wetzlar IMO. 

I wish the folks at Pixii luck in the marketplace, but I don't foresee them eating Leica's lunch.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I do not think that I would ever use an ISO higher than 12800k with the current crop of sensors. However, it is likely that underexposing by one stop at 12800 and adjusting it in post would give you the same image quality as an ISO 25k image without exposure compensation.
99.9% of my images are at ISO 6400 or less. The quality of low-exposure images that require ISO > 6400 is just not good enough for me.

I prefer OVFs to EVFs. My Pixii is on its way.

11 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

BSI sensor is nice, but with an APS-C size and a maximum ISO of 12800 it is clearly not a competitor to the M10M, M10P, M10R or the soon to be announced M11, all of which have significantly more ISO range - 50,000 maximum ISO for the color cameras and 100,000 maximum ISO  for the Monochroms. 

The Pixii also falls short of the Q2 and Q2M.  The Q2 and Q2M have the same maximum ISO ranges as above, along with 47.3 mp full frame sensors and the 28mm f/1.7 Summilux lens. 

If I were interested in an APS-C format camera, the CL would be my choice.  The CL with the 18mm f/2.8 lens is $3100; the Pixii runs $3407 to $4022 depending on the amount of memory you opt for.  And those prices are with no lens.  Not a good buy IMHO.

I'm having a hard time figuring out who the target market demographic for the Pixii would be.  The Pixii is another alternative, but not a rival to any offering from Wetzlar IMO. 

I wish the folks at Pixii luck in the marketplace, but I don't foresee them eating Leica's lunch.

• Pixii version 2 64G body-only model currently priced at ~US$3200 direct from manufacturer. 
  • Leica CL body-only model currently priced at ~US$3200 (no memory card included) from B&H Photo in NY.
  • The Q series cameras do not have interchangeable lenses ... not interested. 
  • The M series bodies are *much* more expensive. 

I already have a Leica CL and an armload of Leica M mount lenses that I use on it. The reason for buying a Pixii rather than another Leica CL is to have a simple digital camera with an optical range/viewfinder rather than an EVF, for those situation when the optical rangefinder is better suited, and that will be usable with my presently owned lenses. Any (new) digital M will cost me more than twice as much. I normally shoot at ISO 200-3200, only rarely higher, so having a maximum ISO 12800 capability isn't any problem for me. 

I couldn't care less whether the Pixii is a rival or competitor to Leica. I am happy that it is an alternative choice at about the same price point as the CL which I happen to like quite a lot. 

G

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ramarren said:
  • Pixii version 2 64G body-only model currently priced at ~US$3200 direct from manufacturer. 
  • Leica CL body-only model currently priced at ~US$3200 (no memory card included) from B&H Photo in NY.
  • The Q series cameras do not have interchangeable lenses ... not interested. 
  • The M series bodies are *much* more expensive. 

I already have a Leica CL and an armload of Leica M mount lenses that I use on it. The reason for buying a Pixii rather than another Leica CL is to have a simple digital camera with an optical range/viewfinder rather than an EVF, for those situation when the optical rangefinder is better suited, and that will be usable with my presently owned lenses. Any (new) digital M will cost me more than twice as much. I normally shoot at ISO 200-3200, only rarely higher, so having a maximum ISO 12800 capability isn't any problem for me. 

I couldn't care less whether the Pixii is a rival or competitor to Leica. I am happy that it is an alternative choice at about the same price point as the CL which I happen to like quite a lot. 

G

This camera has serious design flaw. Mount is to close to RF window. Only small lenses are not blocking RF patch.

And it set the record on the shortest lasting battery.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• andybarton changed the title to Pixii - complementary or competition? [Merged]