Sigma 150-600 dg dn f5-6.3 [merged]

Virob

First impressions: Built like a tank, switches not as smooth as Leica controls, but good, not as unwieldy as reviewers would have you believe and quite compact for its specifications. Very complete in an impressive carrying bag, comes with lenscap, strap and canvas front lens cover and some tools and screws (?) Balances quite nicely on the CL if held properly (palm of left hand under the tripod connection, fingers on the zoom ring,) OIS quite effective, 125/600 well doable with some training.  Not as heavy as I expected in practical use (scales don't lie ;)  )
I'll try and give it a workout this weekend to judge IQ. One nice thing: it has the same focus memory as the 100-400 has I.e.  when presented with multiple planes of focus to choose from, it will pick a plane of focus near the last one, minimizing hunting.

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

scaled down to 2k pixels wide.  150 & 600 of telegraph pole in field next to garden! 

• Like 1

CROP 100% at 600mm

Finally, The burns Monument in Mauchline...5 miles away ...full frame sized to 1/4 for forum

• Like 1

Overall Impressions....Love it, cheap, solid and when I get to using it properly, I'm sure it won't disappoint.     best of all is its size......way smaller than the nikkor 200-500 I used to have..  this is fit in a bag size, not a big case !      home run Sigma......of course it isn't a 90-280 Leica but it is 1/4-1/5th of the price and more than twice as long...Its a keeper !

• Like 4

It doesn't count as testing, but more like gathering first impressions:

The OIS is quite impressive (again contradicting some reviewers) It is smooth, silent and effective.No jumping of the image. For instance this result, which I can get fairly consistently, say about 80% of my shots. 600 mm (900 equ.), 1/20th. 
Disclaimer: I took it using techniques like I would in real-life. I used a simple basic chest pod (Rowi) and sat down. No standing wobbling and waving the lens around. Electronic shutter (essential IMO).

Click for best resolution!

Processed, like I always would, to optimal quality. Low light - high ISO.

Second disclaimer - using a heavy long rig takes experience. I have been shooting long lenses handheld since 1988. I would dearly love to take reviewers showing off monster ballheads and gimbals ( not naming any names - but you know who I mean ;) ) for a few weeks of shooting wildlife in the bush -after relieving them of their useless (there) tripods and put some photographic muscle in their arms

• Like 2

The merit of this lens @ 2.1kg means it be hand held for versatile usage.

I will test and pitch it over my 90-280mm which I've been having for some 5 yrs (almost same in weight and a third longer when fully extended) on IQ & AFC performance on fast moving subjects such as BIF over the next couple of weeks. My 90-280mm will certainly be kept as part of my SL lens kit.

At this point, I hope that the CA when fully extended will not be the last strew to break.

• Thanks 1

Really excited to see your test results especially for birding and comparing to the 90-280. I picked up the 90-280 just two days before this lens got announced!  I would love to have that extra reach but that depends on how much picture quality I have to trade off. If its better than the sigma 100-400 with 1.4 TC maybe I would get it too! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Really excited to see your test results especially for birding and comparing to the 90-280. I picked up the 90-280 just two days before this lens got announced!  I would love to have that extra reach but that depends on how much picture quality I have to trade off. If its better than the sigma 100-400 with 1.4 TC maybe I would get it too! 

I am also anxious to find out how good the Sigma 150-600mm is in IQ and AFC performance over the 90-280mm.

There is no need for a TC in my opinion as not only does it compromise over IQ, it reduces the opening of the lens making it difficult to get sufficient light into frame without over bumping the ISO. The trick is to switch over to APSC mode in camera. This will bring 280mm to become 420mm & 600mm to become 900mm in view & focusing (helps AF of camera to lock focus faster with a bigger image when focus tracking a fast moving subject) yet in lightroom processing, the full frame image is retained for cropping flexibility. More importantly, no penalty in reducing the aperture of lens.

• Like 2