35/90 vs 28/50/90 with an M10-P

andba

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have recently picked up a 35mm Summilux FLE.
I have a 90 2.8 Elmarit arriving tomorrow.

Shooting with the FLE makes me remember how much I loved the 50 1.4 ASPH I used to have.

I don't really think I'm in need of both a 35 and a 50

So

Part of me is curious about flipping the FLE to pick up a 28mm Elmarit and rekindle the love with a 50 Summilux (would keep the 90mm)

Or

Should I calm down and just carry on with the FLE? I do like it, but am feeling frisky here.

The 35mm focal length is an essential general purpose lens and a good compromise when you don’t want to carry both 28/50 lenses. And a 75mm is a good compromise when you don’t want to carry both 50mm and a 90. See what I did here?  :) Use your 35mm FLE for a few years and then decide what is right for you or you can just get all of them. 

• Like 4

looks like the eternal question we all ask ourselves and all the given answers are true ;) As I'm more a 50-shooter I have 28 Elmarit-asph, 50 Apo and 90 Macro-Elmar as basic and compact travel-setup. I don't need fast lenses often, digital you can push the ISO up and fast means bulky, focusing longer focal length is also more diffcult without EVF. My advice: try to use and keep the 35, get the 50 later to feel more comfortable, wait and enjoy them all. Your heirs may sell your lenses. And the 50 Apo is my least used lens either, I still like the 50 Cron v2.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, andba said:

I have recently picked up a 35mm Summilux FLE.
I have a 90 2.8 Elmarit arriving tomorrow.

Shooting with the FLE makes me remember how much I loved the 50 1.4 ASPH I used to have.

I don't really think I'm in need of both a 35 and a 50

So

Part of me is curious about flipping the FLE to pick up a 28mm Elmarit and rekindle the love with a 50 Summilux (would keep the 90mm)

Or

Should I calm down and just carry on with the FLE? I do like it, but am feeling frisky here.

The 35 FLE and 50 Lux renderings are very different wide open. Which do you prefer?  If you aren’t sure then I’d spend more time with what you have before making a decision. 

16 minutes ago, lct said:

Would you mind to elaborate?

The look of the out of focus area, the bokeh, the vignette, etc are different between the two lenses when wide open. 

The 50 Lux feels a bit more APO like to me. Especially in harsh light where I’ve seen green outlining of high contrast areas with the 35 FLE at 1.4. I’ve never seen that outlining with the 50 Lux. Also the 35 FLE has more of a vignette at 1.4. It’s definitely worth tying out both in different lightning conditions if you only want to own one.

28 minutes ago, Crem said:

The look of the out of focus area, the bokeh, the vignette, etc are different between the two lenses when wide open. 

The 50 Lux feels a bit more APO like to me. Especially in harsh light where I’ve seen green outlining of high contrast areas with the 35 FLE at 1.4. I’ve never seen that outlining with the 50 Lux. Also the 35 FLE has more of a vignette at 1.4. It’s definitely worth tying out both in different lightning conditions if you only want to own one.

I'm not good at comparing different focal lengths but out of focus areas cannot be the same due to different DoF as you know. Otherwise i happen to own both those lenses and i see more similarities than differences i must say. YMMV.  

I actually prefer 28, 35 and 50 as a trio, so I’d lose the 90 for the 50 Summilux and get the 28 Elmarit (which I have). Not everyone is a 28 shooter, and no it is not so close to a 35 that they are substitutes, in my view. 
As always, individual preferences will prevail. 
Anyway, stop buying lenses and start taking photos, then decide what you want next, if any.

• Like 1

Usually, I take the trio 24/28 - 50 - 90 with me. Fifties are most popular with me.

This Sunday however, I took only a 35 after having considered what I would see that day. I still regret it. I should have take the usual trio.

"stop buying lenses and start taking photos" — @Mute-on

well said.

Thanks for the input, everybody. For me, the main point here is less about the mix of lenses, it's that I really love the signature of the 50 1.4 ASPH and am thinking about building the kit around that. It's more about whether I should sub the 28 for the 35 as 35 is close to 50, assuming I'm going to pick up the 50 regardless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andba said:

...It's more about whether I should sub the 28 for the 35 as 35 is close to 50, assuming I'm going to pick up the 50 regardless....

Yes.

With the M10 it is almost always possible to crop into the 35mm angle-of-view from a 28mm DNG file without much loss of quality. The 28 Elmarit asph is a superb performer pretty much from edge-to-edge so, in your position, I'd go for the 28 / 50 / 90 set-up.

Philip.

• Like 2

There is no golden rule. I have lens in 15-21-28-35-50-90. 

I do not hesitate to crop if the shot is wider than desired.

If one lens, then 28, 35 or 50 more often than the others.

If two lens, then 15-28, or 21-35, or 28-50, or 35-90. Sometimes 21-50 or 28-90.

If three lens, then 15-28-50 or 21-35-90.

• Like 2

While I appreciate that for many the most important thing is the rendering of the lenses. I personally think that the more important question here is "how often do you want to change lens"? If you carry more lenses, even one more, you either change lenses more often, something you might not want to or be able to do, or you just leave it in the bag.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, convexferret said:

While I appreciate that for many the most important thing is the rendering of the lenses. I personally think that the more important question here is "how often do you want to change lens"? If you carry more lenses, even one more, you either change lenses more often, something you might not want to or be able to do, or you just leave it in the bag.

This is a very helpful observation, particularly for the lens change averse like me. 

I prefer to carry two bodies with one lens mounted on each, rather than one body and two lenses.  

31 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

This is a very helpful observation, particularly for the lens change averse like me. 

I prefer to carry two bodies with one lens mounted on each, rather than one body and two lenses.  

I also prefer a two body setup with either 28 & 50 (plus 90 in the bag) or just the 35 & 75 pair.

• Like 1